Round 8 - German GP (Sachsenring)

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
MiniNinjaMk5

Re: Round 8 - German GP (Sachsenring)

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow.

I am not ashamed to say this is the 3rd time watching a race that has put a lump into my throat. The first was Sete Gibernau taking the win in South Africa in 2003, riding Daijiro Kato's bike after his death a few weeks before. The second was a bit pathetic - again in South Africa, the opening race of 2004 where Rossi won his first race on the Yamaha and sat next to a tyre wall on the wind down lap. Yesterday was the third time (I survived until they interviewed him haha..)

What a story, what a fairy tale, it reminds you of why you love sports and bike racing in particular.
And what a performance, what an absolute master of the sport Marquez is. Really having one hand tied behind his back, he made *absolutely the most* of every situation to get that win: The first corner where he attacked it, hugging the inside line. The few laps when the spots of rain appeared and he put in his fastest laps, while Aleix hesitated a bit, getting those few seconds on the chasing pack. Really I think Oliviera would have won a straight fight but that made the difference.
Just such an incredible competitor and you were reminded yesterday of how he has won so many premier class championships.
I think he probably struggle through the rest of this season still, but it does still show he has got the capability, once he recovers completely and Honda pull their finger out.

I love the mutual respect you get in bikes too, where Oliveira acknowledged Marc's victory, you could see his thoughts on what he had managed to do.

What a race :)

CLX

Post by CLX »

Random drop: Aprilia should be shopping for 2 riders. I don’t think Aleix had the ‘zen’ in him help them take the next step.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

CLX wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:22 pm
Random drop: Aprilia should be shopping for 2 riders. I don’t think Aleix had the ‘zen’ in him help them take the next step.
Wow. I would have thought Aleix and the Aprilia were looking like a good team. And that Aleix would be a good candidate to take the bike forward to podiums and possible wins.

Can you please discuss why you think that Aleix isn't an excellent option for Aprilia? What do you mean by the lack of 'zen'?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

CLX wrote:
Another dimension would be that whether it would help Aprilia to replace both riders at the same time. My gut feeling is that they could be better in the long term to replace only 1 rider at a time.

Championship we are seeing Acosta with a 55 point lead, Gardner with a 36 point lead and Quartararo with a 22 point lead. I'd say that Acosta and Gardner are most likely to take out the championship. Quartararo is looking strong but not strong enough for it to be a sure bet.
My signature isn't particularly interesting

CLX

Post by CLX »

Fingernails wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:04 pm
CLX wrote:
Wow. I would have thought Aleix and the Aprilia were looking like a good team. And that Aleix would be a good candidate to take the bike forward to podiums and possible wins.

Can you please discuss why you think that Aleix isn't an excellent option for Aprilia? What do you mean by the lack of 'zen'?
I feel like he is too much of a Saturday racer and lacks a small measure of opportunism to get better results in the races. The bike shouldn't be on the podium a lot, but at least once it should have been there. 3 of the Yamahas can't make it close, Suzuki has gone backwards, HRC is a non factor except for Marc yesterday. Ducati riders are not the most consistent. His teammate is not a threat and neither are 2 of the KTMs. This isn't 2020 but it's still wide open.

At least a top 5 should be a common result and I think Aprilia should try to get a Moto2 rookie and a MotoGP vet.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

CLX wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:56 am
I feel like he is too much of a Saturday racer and lacks a small measure of opportunism to get better results in the races. The bike shouldn't be on the podium a lot, but at least once it should have been there. 3 of the Yamahas can't make it close, Suzuki has gone backwards, HRC is a non factor except for Marc yesterday. Ducati riders are not the most consistent. His teammate is not a threat and neither are 2 of the KTMs. This isn't 2020 but it's still wide open.

At least a top 5 should be a common result and I think Aprilia should try to get a Moto2 rookie and a MotoGP vet.
He certainly seems to qualify better than he finishes. However, the age-old question is: how good is the bike and how good is the rider. Getting another talented rider on the bike could tell us. I'm not sure that Salvadori is a good benchmark. If he was, Aleix would be doing a stupendous job.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Think Aleix is probably a tremendous test/development rider at this point and would be a good benchmark for anyone else in the team.
As it stands every rider that has come into the team has gone (and finished the GP career of at least a couple) so you can't say he is doing too badly!

It will be interesting to see if Dovi comes back in or they get some other top level young talent, at least then you would have a way of comparing.
Remember Aleix has always been good at qualifying and actually pushing the bike up the grid, then the bike isn't capable of maintaining that speed for the race without crashing. Remember him putting the Forward Racing Yamaha (back when that bike was a nail) onto pole and doing a lap of the gods at Qatar, he was half a second up in QP and then left a 50ft darkie when he lost the front going into a corner. The guy can ride (and Colin Edwards has said he has cajones the size of beach balls) but I don't think the Aprilia itself is quite there yet.