Round 8 - German GP (Sachsenring)

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Round 8 - German GP (Sachsenring)

Post by Fingernails »

So, what will happen? Will Fabio lose his leather bottoms this time and be racing around bare-assed?

There was no race last year, and looking back to 2019 it was a MM93 win, with Vinales and Crutchlow on the podium. The only prediction I'm going to make is that none of the podium finishers from 2019 will be on the podium this year. No proof of course, but why not make random predictions.

Jagbruno

Re: Round 8 - German GP (Sachsenring)

Post by Jagbruno »

I just looked at the weather forecast: 34 Celsius and dry for the 3 days!! That will favor KTM and possibly Honda…

Could we be in for a second Oliveira win this season? With MM on the podium to add some spice? :mrgreen:

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

If the KTM is coming on song, Olivera could start chipping away at that quite large margin that Quartararo has over him. Not impossible. Didn't Olivera use to come on strong in the second half of championships in Moto2? Never enough to win, of course.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I had a look back at the 2018 results and it was a Honda vs Yamaha vs Ducati. 2019 was a bit more spread out but it was Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, Suzuki. So based on that history and current form I'm going to guess we will see a similar battle to the last race
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

When I look back in the past to work out which tracks might be Honda tracks, I tend to discount Marquez.

Cal's podium in 2019 might indicate Honda, but Rossi's podium in 2018 must be one of his last ever podiums.

I'm really not sure what's going to happen.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Sachsenring, Saxon-ring or Saxono? What's in a name? A nose by another name would smell.

I like Sachsenring, almost all corners, 3 straights. All Fun! Fun to watch or on the video game. Probably a work-out on a MotoGp bike.
All those turns would possibly make me dizzy after 30 laps. Hard work for the riders, I imagine.

Marc has form as long as your arm at Sachsenring! I'm mad to bet against him but just can't see MM93 winning.

If not Salty Marc then whom? Who else trains on dirt track? Which Gp riders have a speedway background? Other than Garry McCoy.
Don't know.

Likely lads; Fabio Q, Morbidelli, Mav, Miguel O, B Binder. M1R, Jacko, Pecco, Zarco. Marc Marquez will be close, maybe podium.
If Marquez M can win it will be a miracle! One of his best opportunities sure. But I'm thinking not that first win. The first win after the BIG crash & injury (Ana Carasco style) will probably be this year. Aragon? Phillip Island? or Valencia? All very lefty, in terms of turns. We will see.

Dark horse/light horse Pol and Aleix Espargaro. The Asparagus brothers could do well here. Pol desperately WANTS to do well.
Aleix has been riding the wheels off the prilla. It seems to handle well & preserve it's tyres. They always say that about an underpowered bike!

Danilo "dark horse" Petrucci? Petrux is actually ahead of Marc Marquez in the championship after 7 races!!! I remember Mugello 2019.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

So does anyone think Marc can do it?

David Emmett on the front page thinks there is a strong possibility he will win.

If this had been any other track I would have said no, as Marc is still recovering and the Honda has been in the doldrums.

But, he has been so utterly dominant at the track in the past, and the track layout flatters the Honda..

I don't know! I think it's a possibility.. I will say a win/podium for Marc or DNF again

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:23 am
So does anyone think Marc can do it?

David Emmett on the front page thinks there is a strong possibility he will win.

If this had been any other track I would have said no, as Marc is still recovering and the Honda has been in the doldrums.

But, he has been so utterly dominant at the track in the past, and the track layout flatters the Honda..

I don't know! I think it's a possibility.. I will say a win/podium for Marc or DNF again
Marc has shown promising turns of speed, but it seems at the risk of falling off. I think all the ingredients are there for a win on the right track on the right day, but he isn't match-fit. I think the match-fitness will return this year unless he smashes himself up again. Which is a distinct possibility.

I think it highly plausible that Marc will win this weekend. However, as for probability rather than plausibility, I have no idea. And win it or bin it, well hasn't he been doing this already?

My first question to be answered is whether Marc will get straight into Q2.

Hmmm.... looking back at my post, I'm not sure it says all that much. Probably because I don't have much to say, but am saying it anyhow. This is the internet, after all.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Haha yes, well to be fair most of the pundits seem to be scratching their heads too so we are in good company.

I think David Emmett is one of the few that has come out and said he thinks he will win.

I agree though QP is going to play a big part of it. Overtaking isn't easy at the track and especially in Marc's current condition I think he needs to be on the front two rows. The Suzuki doesn't seem to go well there (even though you think it should with the bike's character) which would be two less riders to contend with. But, you have a resurgent KTM (and would expect that bike to still go well at a track that favours the Honda, like the Sachsenring). And of course Quartararo is going to be looking to bounce back after the misfire of the last race and you have to think will be competitive too!

But, I am getting some serious 'Return of the King' vibes. Someone needs to photoshop Marc onto a Lord of the Rings film poster, this could well be the fairy tale story :D

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

It's like picking the winning lottery ticket.
1. Quartararo
2. Mir
3. Marquez (assuming he doesn't bin it)
4. (or 3 if Marquez bins it) Morbidelli
Followed by about 3 Ducati's, 1 KTM then Vinales :lol:

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Well with 10 mins left in FP1 Marc is fastest and 3 Hondas in the top 4, which I think answers whether the Honda will still go well around this track!

I'm almost tempted to look at betting odds on Marc for the race win, but I know that would have the same effect as Fingernails' profile pic and doom him to not finishing the race :D

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

And there you go, Marc back at the top of the timesheets, admittedly its FP1. But wait Nakagami is in third, Pol in 4th so perhaps the Honda is working at this circuit

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes right - was listening to a podcast about it and David Emmett was saying the circuit layout covers the bikes weakness of drive out of corners onto straights, as the bike is on its side so much. Also in the same way the Ducati can't really use its top end so they haven't got their usual advantage.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

It's looking very positive for Honda now. But, there have been FP1 sessions before this year where Marquez has shone or at least done well, and then he's faded throughout the weekend and into qualifying.

FP2 often turns things on their heads. We shall see.

I'm not saying it's likely that Honda will fall down the order. I'm just aware of what has happened in the past.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yep definitely - Pol was looking really positive throughout FP in Catalunya, then had a shocker of a race.
So will be interesting to see if they keep the momentum.

Such a tight field time-wise, think Rossi was in 20th and only a second off of Marc's time!

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Pedro Acosta is fastest in Moto3 FP2. Perhaps the curse of my avatar is wearing off. (I'm guessing this is a track he's been to before as the real reason.)

EDIT: I'm too lazy to look it up myself, but has there been a weekend where a KTM won in Moto3, a bike from the KTM team won in Moto2, and then a KTM won in MotoGP? EDIT: Sort of happened last race(s). Except that Garcia who won Moto3 is on a KTM that is labelled a GasGas.

EDIT: Marquez well back in FP2, but he didn't put a soft rear tyre on for a time attack.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:31 pm
It's looking very positive for Honda now. But, there have been FP1 sessions before this year where Marquez has shone or at least done well, and then he's faded throughout the weekend and into qualifying.

FP2 often turns things on their heads. We shall see.

I'm not saying it's likely that Honda will fall down the order. I'm just aware of what has happened in the past.
Your are correct, FP2 is quite a different outcome to FP1

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Combined times - Hondas in 7, 9, 10. Straight through to Q1, but not looking promising for a Honda pole. We'll see.

BTW: Is anyone else disengaging from Moto3 qualifying? As it seems utterly inconsequential as pretty much the entire field is all mixed up from the qualifying order after the first long straight.

atropos

Post by atropos »

Fingernails wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:54 pm
Combined times - Hondas in 7, 9, 10. Straight through to Q1, but not looking promising for a Honda pole. We'll see.

BTW: Is anyone else disengaging from Moto3 qualifying? As it seems utterly inconsequential as pretty much the entire field is all mixed up from the qualifying order after the first long straight.
I've even disengaged from the Moto3 races, you only need to tune it for the last lap. Qualifying position seems to be irrelevant.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Only 1 Yamaha in Q2 as none got thru Q1

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Front row was Quartararo Miller M Marquez before a bunch of times were disallowed due to a yellow flag

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

And ... it is done. It'll be interesting to see if this is a one-off race, or whether MM93 takes a step up.

CLX

Post by CLX »

I was a doubter and I was massively wrong. Happy to be wrong.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Looking at each of the races in more detail.

Moto3 - The return of Acosta. It was looking a bit shaky for a while, but straight back to the top step. A very hard fought race - when was the last time a Moto3 victory wasn't a hard fought race? But Acosta showed that he can still fight all race long and not suddenly lose a bunch of places in the last lap or so.

Moto2 - Absolutely flawless by Gardner, and Fernandez made a very costly error trying to keep up. (I presume.) Lowes may have done some 'damage control' by finishing 5th, but that's not going to be good enough if Gardner continues on like this.

MotoGP - The return of MM93. A dominant win, despite the challenge from Olivera at the end. It'll be interesting to see how this changes things for Marc - it must be a confidence boost. Olivera has been very strong over the last few races. To early to say that this will be a trend, but last year people started pointing out that if Mir keeps on scoring like he had been, then he could easily be champion. And he was. Olivera is a long way behind, but he's now outscoring Fabio Quartararo. If he keeps this up...

Apical

Post by Apical »

He is back! Congratulations Marc Marquez! I was wrong. Welcome back MM93.

Great result for Miguel Oliveira! Awesome weekend for KTM!

Mav and Morbidelli ? Sorry Franky did I cause perturbations with my "where to for FM21" comment. Ride that dinosaur M1.

Suzuki not looking great for M1R's title defense. Need to improve Q. Text wrist Rins is back & OK, move on Alex.

Aleix beat pole man Zarco! Aprilia almost, almost, but not quite there.

Hondas other than MM93; Pol 10th, Taka 13th and Alex Marquez dnf. Marc flatters the gravel seeking missile.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson