Round 7 - Barcelona

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Round 7 - Barcelona

Post by Fingernails »

FP1 has been and gone. I'm guessing that things will change before qualifying and Aleix Espargaro will not be on pole.

Fabio and the Suzukis were on the podium last year. Not impossible we'll see a repeat of that.

MiniNinjaMk5

Re: Round 7 - Barcelona

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Great to see the bikes back on track so soon!

Couple of things stood out for me from FP1 and FP2
- KTM have a really good race pace on hard tyres, both Oliviera and Binder towards the top on hard-hard tyres for most of the session.
- Ducati's finishing positions flattered to deceive. Think top Ducati was Zarco in 7th before the time attack/soft tyres came out, with the rest of the Ducatis outside the top 10.
- All of the Yamahas (with the exception of Rossi sadly) looking very strong on race pace. Morbidelli especially, who was top of both sessions for most of them.
- Felt like an actual step forward for Honda and Pol - towards the top for much of FP1 and was doing a lot of laps, something has clicked?

hdot

Post by hdot »

I'm waiting for FP3/FP4 to really see what's going on but I would not write Ducati off

Main thing for them is controlling tire wear. Especially Jack. If they can do that I can see them being a threat. Otherwise it's Fabio's race to lose

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

M Marquez and Mir didn't do many laps at all in FP1 & FP2 combined, don't know why
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Who's your guess for the top 2 in Q1?
1. Miller
2. Pol

CLX

Post by CLX »

That was a boring qualifying. All this tow seeking is ruining it. I'd rather see riders alone get one fast lap only and nothing else.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

CLX wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:39 pm
That was a boring qualifying. All this tow seeking is ruining it. I'd rather see riders alone get one fast lap only and nothing else.
Yes, it's getting rather annoying seeing the same people looking for tows all the time.

I'm not sure the qualifying was boring, but I still don't want to see the tow seeking. I'm not sure what kind of rules would stop it.

The grid looks interesting. If Quartararo can't run off and hide, he's going to have to deal with Miller and Zarco.

Aleix seems to be doing a good job with that Aprilia.

In Moto2 Gardner's win seems to have invigorated him. I predict a battle between the Ajo's tomorrow. Though, the number of times I've made predictions that utterly failed .... :D Lowes is far enough forward to go with the leading group, and be tempted into going too fast and falling off again.

In Moto3 Acosta is in 25th. He's proved he can win from there, but he clearly still has stuff to learn. I didn't follow the individual sessions, so don't know if there is a simple reason for him being that far back.

atropos

Post by atropos »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:05 pm
1. Miller
2. Pol
Well picked! Marquez M repeated his trick from last time and chose Jack as his victim. Jack was unfazed and treated it with good humour. Unfortunately for Marc, Pol had latched on to the back and pipped his team mate for the 2nd qualy spot.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

atropos wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:32 am
Mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:05 pm
1. Miller
2. Pol
Well picked! Marquez M repeated his trick from last time and chose Jack as his victim. Jack was unfazed and treated it with good humour. Unfortunately for Marc, Pol had latched on to the back and pipped his team mate for the 2nd qualy spot.
I got lucky with my guess. We have the Honda cup with 3 of the 4 riders altogether on the grid. I was surprised to see Miller make it to the front row, not the first time someone has gone thru Q1 to the front row but it isn't that common.

Quartararo was really strong in FP4, if he gets away at the beginning of the race he will cruise to victory.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've missed the race as I was busy and it started early. I'll rejoin the conversation here after Tuesday night when I can watch the highlights on TV.

CLX

Post by CLX »

So, can Oliveira catch up with Quartararo and make it interesting? The gap is 64 points.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

hdot

Post by hdot »

CLX wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:13 pm
So, can Oliveira catch up with Quartararo and make it interesting? The gap is 64 points.
5.3 pts/race.... Olivera would either have to win for the rest of the year or finish 2 places ahead of Fabio if Fabio finishes every race. Mathematically possible but extremely unlikely

I feel like Bagnaia has the best chance but he's still too inconsistent.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I decided to risk it and watch the races on YouTube. The risk is that often the YouTube videos say who won the race in the title. I managed to avoid that.

MotoGP

Another race that it looked like Quartararo might win, but things definitely went weird at the end. I don't remember ever seeing leathers come open like that. The penalty seems very odd. I would accept him being black flagged and can't understand why he wasn't. But a three second penalty after the race? I can't really see the reasoning behind that.

Great race by Olivera, and nearly as good a race by Zarco. They definitely deserved their finishing positions.

Marc Marquez, as noted in commentary and I'm sure by everyone, three crashes in three races. Marc may be losing his touch in terms of saving the unsaveable.

Moto2

Moto2 this year is rapidly turning into the Ajo KTM show. Gardner again won out this week, but the season is long. Sam Lowes managed to stay upright all race, but needs to be closer to the front if he's going to factor in the championship.

Moto3

Not as much as last week, but the race was a bit confusing with slip-streaming down the straight completely up-ending the order. Pedro Acosta qualified terribly, but fought his way to the front. Exciting to see Acosta methodically work his way through and hit the front. He was then getting shuffled around and just around the podium positions. But, right near the end of the race he suddenly gets shuffled back to 13th. An event I somehow missed. He fought his way back to 7th, but that's way off the podium. There's something going wrong for him, and whatever it is he needs to overcome it.

Pedro Acosta's finishing record: 2, 1, 1, 1, 8, 8, 7

Definitely a season so far of two halvles. He's not going to win the championship if it continues as it is now.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

On another forum someone has suggested a post race 30 second penalty, so to match what he would of lost going into the pits to replace his chest protector. If that had happened he would of got 14th.

I believe he should of been blacked flag, possibly with an orange dot in the middle, it was a safety issue.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I agree that's a fundamental safety issue, and he should have been black flagged.

What's happened is that he continued racing, and has received an advantage. This therefore sends the message to anyone else in a similar situation that they may benefit by continuing racing even when it is dangerous. A bad precedent.

hdot

Post by hdot »

It's weird to me that so many people are mad about the penalty

Seems people are angry the officials made the change after the race.............. but I'd wager those same people were angry about rushed bad penalties as well

He had to be penalized. HE endangered himself and everyone else on the track

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I would have thought that there would have been ample time to decide on a black flag during the race. There was enough time for the commentators to spend discussing it.

Maybe there will be a new rule that should someone's leathers come undone, that the rider has to return to the pit and then not rejoin the race until the leathers are properly fastened again. However, I would *guess* that there are general rules concerning riding in a dangerous state to cover the situation. He types without going to check the rules.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I think there's a rule that you have 3 laps to return to the pits if you are black flagged, correct me if I'm wrong and so he could of ridden to the end. What about the black flag with the orange dot? I think with that one you must leave the track straight away and you are allowed to return once the issue has been rectified?

CLX

Post by CLX »

I'm gessing 3 seconds are how long it would ave taken him to slow down and zip the leathers up...

-----

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Fantastic race by Olivera. His consistency unmatched down the order even by those not running the pace he was. Looked really good and answered back pass once caught. Really strong performance.

Zarco made a good run as well. Fastest lap of race. Managed his tires for a push at the end. Pulled up on points to a close second place. Anything can happen.

Quatararo had good form and showing strong like that arm pump never happened. Hope it stays that way. His form im qualifying is awesome. He’s been going well in races too. Tire wear being the wild card. Was curious about moto2 coming after MotoGP this round and seems like

Rins gone from bad to worse… not sure what his future holds at this point.

Speaking of strange, at one point in early going commentator mentioned five different manufacturers in top five places, which was great to see unless you Honda because they weren’t one of them!

Also I had the feeling the home race with crowd had an extra level of energy for the Spanish riders. It reminded me of term once used for Japanese wild card riders at Suzuka 8hrs, described as “hand grenades” riding around just waiting to go off.

Moto3 was a bit disappointing to keep seeing the swerving that it going to end in disaster. My least favorite the Rodrigo move hard arose front tire of Acosta. Moto2 had a similar kind of move where rider Diginantoio swept across in front of other into braking zone resulting in collision.

I get that it’s racing and that’s how some play the game. It’s just far more alarming to me seeing those things as they happen in front of pack of other a often than it is seeing unzipped leathers…

Back on the racing, really good to see Remey coming to his own in Moto2 and what is ahead for him. RedBull KTM showing don’t really need to mess about with their own bike there to have the impact they wanted. I don’t know if VDS can compete and the other big name independents falling off the radar. Looks like KTM have Moto2 on lock.

MotoE had a bizarre start. Not sure what happened to the pole sitters bike as he was then able to ride under power but due to having an issue had to leave the grid even though they delayed start which would have enabled him time to take his grid place. At some point some common sense needs to be applied.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Warmup lap, looks like he didn't zip the suit up properly

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Good spot. Im of the opinion he got uncomfortable with his chest protector and took it out. Even without the Velcro there i don’t see it coming down all the way as it did. But that said there are few comparisons for the degree to which he rides stretching his arms and leathers tight across his chest as goes from far left to far right as he gets down to drag his shoulder around the track :)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

It seems that even Fabio thinks he should have been black flagged.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/98033 ... ackflagged

Also, I've seen a report that Pit Beirer shook Dani Pedrosa's hand after the race victory and thanked him for the work he'd done. Dani then credited the win to Olivera. This seems to be a team that can work together.

hdot

Post by hdot »

The human element makes all the difference

The mindset of the rider. The ingenuity of the engineers and mechanics. The guidance and commitment of leadership. The harmony of the team

To me this makes Miguel Olivera very dangerous. KTM is the best run factory effort on the grid IMO; I have never heard anything negative about them. And Olivera is fast, intelligent and cool as a cucumber. His poor start def put a damper on his championship aspirations but if KTM can keep improving the bike, IDK.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

KTM seem to be listening to their riders and their test riders. As we have seen the bike is capable of winning races, the next step is consistency