Round 6 - Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley (Mugello)

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Round 6 - Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley (Mugello)

Post by Fingernails »

Last year Mugello was cancelled. In 2019 Ducati riders were first and third with MM93 second.

It would be the obvious prediction that Ducati will do well again at their home track. But, I think there's ample possibility that after two years away things may have changed. We'll see.

CLX

Re: Round 6 - Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley (Mugello)

Post by CLX »

Assuming it'll be a weekend of regular warm weather (I haven't check predictions at all), my bet is on a repeat of Qatar with Yamahas and Ducatis fighting it out while the Suzukis desperately try to hold on. So Quartararo is my favourite with Bagnaia being the closest challenger to keep the tradition of italians on Ducatis finding some extra mojo at Mugello.

HRC and KTM have no chance at all for a good result without heavy attrition and Aleix will be in that no mans land close to the podium.

So my mind says: Quartararo, Bagnaia, Zarco.
My heart wants: Zarco, Miller, Bagnaia.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Long range weather forecast showing 50% chance of rain on Sunday! So if that's the case no predictions for me here (Miller 3 in a row?)

I think between Quartararo and Bagnaia (possibly Miller) if it's dry, maybe Zarco too he has been good at the track in the past.

Would be nice to see Morbidelli and Vinales step up, the Suzukis too.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Bring on the rain!!

That French race was the most eventful for some time

CLX

Post by CLX »

I'm not against a wet race, but I fear at Mugello it might just spread the field out too much. I think a dry race would make it more interesting in the Yamahas vs Ducatis battles.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes I think it says something about how entertaining bike racing is that you don't need it to be wet (like you do with F1!) to make an entertaining race.

Forecast is still all over the place, it had said rain on Friday and Saturday and dry Sunday, but checking again now it is down as wet for Sunday. Hopefully it is wet then it just sticks like that and you have a solid wet race, I really felt for the riders and teams in France because it was just changing every 10 minutes.

BTW check out the special livery for the factory Ducatis, very nice! Apparently Pramac are going to have something Lamorghini related too.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Yamaha opening up on top before track rubbered in… could be a sign if things if they could have enough of them up there to break the chasers draft on leader. Also worth to keep that eye on Suzuki too.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

We'll see if everything changes for FP2, as it often does :D

I watched the Crash.net preview, and they were pretty confident that Ducati are going to dominate, if only for their top speed advantage.

I'll wait and see what happens.

Having checked the live updates, it seems that MM93 is struggling. Down in 17th in combined standings. But, there is a fair way to go before it's decided who will go through Q1.

Pedro Acosta is struggling too. Could this be two bogey tracks for him in a row? I don't know if he's been here before.

EDIT: In FP2 Yamaha are closer to the top, but Bagnaia leads. By a smidgen. Honda either have not yet shown their hand, or they are in trouble. Only Nakagami in the top 10.

CLX

Post by CLX »

I think HRC are in trouble and Marquez is less than fine, which means there is no way to make up for it. 2021 is a wash and they might as well treat it as an imense test session for 2022.

On the other hand, it's nice to see Franco end the day so close to the top and perhaps there will be a large fight for the podium. Did Maverick not go for a hot lap?

-----

CLX

Post by CLX »

After FP2
Mmy mind says: Bagnaia, Quartararo, Zarco.
My heart wants: Zarco, Morbidelli, Miller.

-----

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

FP2 Miller was 4th on the time sheets when he entered the pits with 2 minutes to go and didn't come out. It would appear that he didn't do a hot lap and if that's the case then his 10th on the time sheets is not a representation as to how he will go in the race https://youtu.be/2irQ3I7cE54
My signature isn't particularly interesting

CLX

Post by CLX »

Fingers crossed...

-----

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

CLX wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:46 am
After FP2
Mmy mind says: Bagnaia, Quartararo, Zarco.
Very close.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Looking at qualifying - the question is 'what is Marc up to'. Didn't seem to benefit him in the end. Though, perhaps that is what got him out of Q2.

Quartararo ahead of a gaggle of Ducatis. He could run away with it, or perhaps he's going to be continuously repassed on the straight. I wouldn't like to predict a winner.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

My signature isn't particularly interesting

CLX

Post by CLX »

Bike racing has the highest highs and lowest lows.
RIP.
May it be safe for MotoGP, which is about to start.

-----

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Yes. Very sad indeed.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Such awful news :(

The low point of the sport we love

RIP Jason

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've finally seen the Moto3 race. Definitely poignant given the sad passing of Jason Dupasquier.

As for the race itself, it was very confusing when mass slipstreaming meant than in one straight and corner the leader could be demoted to tenth or eleventh.

Pedro Acosta continued his not shining form of the last couple of races. I don't think he yet has the experience to maximise his result in a race like this, but I'm sure he's leaning.

In Moto2, Sam Lowes has to stay upright. And he just isn't. Remy Gardner has only been off the podium once. And that was a 4th. With him now having won his first race this year, that looks promising for the season.

There aren't many comments about the MotoGP race. This year FQ looks like he's definitely up for the championship. Surprising to see a Ducati-less podium after all the predictions. FQ now has as many race wins as the rest of the field all put together.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes know what you mean about all of that Fingernails!

With Acosta it looked like he was trying to plan where to be going into the last lap (I'm not sure if he had gone wide deliberately on the penultimate lap) - early in the race it looked like you would need to be 6-7th going into the last lap, which would then sling you into the front, then providing you got a good last lap you could lead onto the last straight and not get passed by the line. But, I think Foggia got such a good lead (with some duffing up going on behind?) that he ended up just getting bogged down in the pack. It's just so hard to come out on top in those situations. But, there is no real consistent challenge to him so he has kept a very strong WC lead.

Know what you mean about Lowes it was so disappointing. That lack of consistency is coming back again and the trouble is with Gardner and Fernandez finishing like that every week he really needs to stay on the bike to have a chance. If he had stayed on for a few more laps Fernandez would have come back to him, but that's the benefit of hindsight I guess!

Agree about FQ too, in-between the very strong wet race performance and being so dominant in Mugello (plus two tracks he has gone well at before, Catalunya and Assen) think he is looking very good this year. I felt sorry for Bagnaia in the race, understandably don't think he was in a good place re. the passing of Dupasquier and you have to think that figured into him going off at a crazy pace from lap one and crashing..

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Like several others such as Binder, Acosta was falling back and then fighting his way back. He seemed to be able to do so at will until the last lap. I'm sure he's learned a lesson.

This weekend was his best qualifying result so far (I believe) too. He is still 16 and has a lot to learn.