Spanish GP - Round 4

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Spanish GP - Round 4

Post by Fingernails »

Thanks @kenup for starting a thread for round 5. I got behind on things. I thought I still had a race to watch somewhere, but found that I'd already seen round 4. I'm watching it again now in order to be able to comment.

Moto3

Acosta again! That kid seems to have it all. Maybe excepting qualifying pace but he doesn't need it. If it wasn't for Acosta, it would be another year where riders being knocked off their bikes is having too much of an influence on the championship. Acosta now has more than twice as many points as the rider in second place in the championship. I think he's going to utterly cruise this championship. And what then? Moto2 at 17 years old? Is that allowed? (Googles) Yes, minimum age 16 years. There are other riders who are fast, but they lack the skill to stay out of trouble. I don't think it''s just luck. Acosta has some Jedi level spatial awareness going on, I think.

Moto2

Sad that Jake Dixon is out of the race. I thought this might be his year to shine.

Dominant win by Di Giannantonio. I thought Sam Lowes might be dominant this year, but he struggled to third, I thought. Clearly a lot better than the DNF last time. 2nd in the championship by 3 points is nothing to be sniffed at, however.

MotoGP

I was watching this race online chatting with randoms. Who were surprisingly interested in the racing and well informed for a random internet page. I predicted a FQ win, pretty much in the way he was doing it until ... that happened. Arm pump. Miller had surgery for that quite recently, so I presume that FQ can be treated quickly, and he's had some surgery. So, we'll see. But, this was an interesting race to see in real time. Expectations thoroughly confounded.

And Marc Marquez seems to be going backwards rather than rapidly fowards. I thought that MM93 would be not racing, or challenging for wins. I didn't expect this.

Aleix Espargaro is really doing a good job on that Aprilia.

It's a great win for Jack. Admittedly FQ had his problems. But Miller never put a wheel wrong that I saw.

When will Nakagami get a podium?

Mikesbytes

Re: Spanish GP - Round 4

Post by Mikesbytes »

As we know M Marquez is yet to show his form, just looking at the points progress with him missing the first 2 races, this is where he stood behind the championship leader;
Race1: 25
Race 2: 40
Race 3: 52
Race 4: 50
Despite only scoring 7 points in race 4 he is slightly closer to the championship leader. So far we have seen that this year so far a similar situation to last year where multiple riders fight for the championship. Championship leader;
Race 1: Vinales
Race 2: Zarco
Race 3: Quartararo
Race 4: Bagnaia
This mixture of front runners is playing into Marquez's hands giving him more time to come up to speed
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I must admit that my expectation (which can easily be confounded) is that Marc will not suddenly bounce back to the front and start dominating.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 10:45 am
I must admit that my expectation (which can easily be confounded) is that Marc will not suddenly bounce back to the front and start dominating.
There's a lot of speculation out there in the press but they are just guessing like everyone else
My signature isn't particularly interesting

atropos

Post by atropos »

According to snippets of an interview with MM93 on MotoGP.com, his medical check after Jerez showed the bone is going ok.
He also said he is very far from having equal strength in both arms and is looking to see how he is after the summer break.
So no, he is not going to suddenly bounce back and surprise everyone by dominating no matter how much press and fan speculation there is.

What people seem to be forgetting is the guy had complications that could, in the very worst case, have cost him his arm - as in amputation - there is no sudden recovery from that.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

atropos wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:29 pm
According to snippets of an interview with MM93 on MotoGP.com, his medical check after Jerez showed the bone is going ok.
He also said he is very far from having equal strength in both arms and is looking to see how he is after the summer break.
So no, he is not going to suddenly bounce back and surprise everyone by dominating no matter how much press and fan speculation there is.

What people seem to be forgetting is the guy had complications that could, in the very worst case, have cost him his arm - as in amputation - there is no sudden recovery from that.
Yes. I wasn't aware of the details, but I was thinking that Marc is on a long healing curve. I expect him to be on it from next year. Going out now and trying to win the championship against the odds (Honda seems to be behind) may be a very poor long term strategy.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Most of the commentary I have read is that he is missing muscle mass on his right-hand side. It's coming back but he is still finding right-hand corners hard work - and is probably praying for Sachsenring!