SHARK Grand Prix de France - rd.5

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
kenup283

SHARK Grand Prix de France - rd.5

Post by kenup283 »

So much went down last race we’ve all been left speechless :) but in case you missed it, definitely must to go back and watch as prerequisite for this weekends racing.

What does France have in store for us?

A Yamaha rebound on the cards, Suzuki to stop playing horseshoes and pickup corn hole finally bagging one this year, Ducati on a high after an outstanding double at Jerez will they no longer be deterred by talk of another “boggy track”, can Honda keep their front end planted on the ground and their riders rear end off it, and for KTM will Aprilla continue to show them the fast way around.

Mikesbytes

Re: SHARK Grand Prix de France - rd.5

Post by Mikesbytes »

Time for the French riders to attack with another 1st, 2nd and to keep the Spaniards off the podium after they didn't podium at their own GP :D

Last year had Ducati, Honda, KTM on the podium with the first inline4 back in 9th position, 16 seconds off the winner, two Yamaha's and a Suzuki all finishing together. As we know with the closeness of racing, the previous years results isn't as predictable for the current year as it was.
My signature isn't particularly interesting

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Though previous year results in a wet race may again match this years weather.. :) Ducati had never won here before but always did better in rain relative to others. With rain last year they got that win. As you’d expect life on the edge of corner speed drops. Rins made a good run at it for Suzuki but dropped it near the end while in close second. Rain or shine he may go for it. Otherwise forecast looking like a potential repeat

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I think the biggest question will be whether Fabio Quartararo will have overcome his armpump problems. Even if the inline 4s weren't strong last year, I would think a fully fit FQ may have a good crack at it.

And in Moto3 will Pedro Acosta make it five wins in a row? EDIT: Four.

I saw predictions of rain rain and more rain elsewhere. That of course may make a big difference. But, I'm not sure who will benefit from it most.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I've read elsewhere that in FP1 that Miller went out on Slicks in the wet to record the fastest time. Don't know the details, is this correct? Was the track drying?

Edit: confirmed he was on slicks https://resources.motogp.com/files/resu ... alysis.pdf

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:53 am
I've read elsewhere that in FP1 that Miller went out on Slicks in the wet to record the fastest time. Don't know the details, is this correct? Was the track drying?

Edit: confirmed he was on slicks https://resources.motogp.com/files/resu ... alysis.pdf
According to Crash.net, others went out on slicks after Miller blitzed the field, but that it was 'too late' to do much. The 1.4s gap is probably unrealistic. https://www.crash.net/motogp/results/97 ... -1-results

In Moto3, Pedro Acosta is in 18th in a dry Free Practice 2. He hasn't been qualifying all that consistently well. It'll be interesting to see where he qualifies and where he ends up. I believe he has never raced at Le Mans before.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

BTW in FP1 Millers time would of put him 6th on the Moto2 grid :lol:

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Marc now goes top in FP3, but it's a wet practice. Still 6th overall when considering combined times I think. Three Hondas going straight through to FP1, so perhaps this track suits their bike. I note that Espargaro is even further up.

That Morbidelli accident when practicing changing bikes was really weird.

Acosta going through Q1 in Moto3 I see. I expect him to at least challenge for the win no matter where he ends up in quali, but perhaps his unfamiliarity with the track will be a big obstacle to overcome.

Lowes looking good in Moto2. So far.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I came here to find all the people who had predicted that Salvadori and Marini would top Q1.

Even though he was pushed down a bit at the end, this qualifying is still a step forward for MM93. Though, it seems that this track does favour the Honda.

Apical

Post by Apical »

G'Day Fingernails. I didn't predict Lorenzo Savadori would be this fast. My prediction skills ain't that good. I'm not a talent spotter like Aki Ajo.
But I considered him (L.S.32) to be a good rider.
Quoting myself from the main site "Rapidness is relative. Compared to some other riders Lorenzo Savadori was considered slow (by some). I disagree. L.S.32 is rather swift. Aleix Espargaro is fast! Savadori went quicker on the same bike in the same session & conditions; Q1. Therefore not slow."

One of a few dozen racers in motorcycle grand prix racing, out of millions who ride worldwide. I would say Savadori is in the fastest 10% of all the m/c racers on the planet. But not an "Alien"

My preference would be a Zarco win. Optimistic I know.

Head says Fabio Quartararo, hopefully no arm-pump problems.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Wet during Warmup, 1:45 the fastest lap with 3 minutes to go. I'm sure there will be some win it or bin it riders, but whom?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Very interesting and exciting race. Again, I was involved in live chat where I was making predictions that were proved wrong. Personally I thought that someone would pit for slicks and win that way.

Great win by Miller. He has Zarco behind him in win it or bin it mode, and did what he needed to do to win. Zarco also a great ride.

Not so impressed by MM93. I would have thought he would have been tempered a bit by his recent history. It seems not. Both crashes looked reasonably benign in terms of him being beaten up by physics, but that may be luck.

Vinales back in 10th? I haven't seen the results as a list yet but heard that. This is not the performance of a championship winning rider. Quartararo had problems but those second place points may end up valuable.

So, is Miller having a good run, or is this a championship challenge?

I wasn't sure that any team would be able to unlock Zarco's potential. Clearly Pramac and Ducati have managed that.

I won't see Moto2 and Moto3 until Monday night. So, I'll comment after then.

mastercraftx1

Post by mastercraftx1 »

Noticed during the race after the bike changes that some guys started with used wet tires. But Miller started with a medium front that already had 9 laps on it!!! Medium wets seemed to have great durability. Would liked to have seen a close up of Fabio's front tire after the race. One of the slo-mo shots late in the race showed it pretty much shredded on the right side. Zarco's medium rear looked pretty good in parc ferme. Pecco was flying at the end.

Edit: Just looked at all the tire data on motogp.com and Miller only used the medium wets for the first out lap in Q2. He used the soft wets in every other wet session. Wouldn't be surprised if there's something wrong with their tire data reporting.

As soon as it started raining Marquez looked like he was way too happy about the changing conditions and it appeared his over excitement got the best of him. Not what you'd expect from an 8-time world champion.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Great race, had it all including excitement and disappointment.

Quartararo is firmly cemented as the main favourite to me. I honestly expect him to win it with a few races to spare a huge battle for 2nd.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

atropos

Post by atropos »

Fingernails wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:56 pm

Not so impressed by MM93. I would have thought he would have been tempered a bit by his recent history. It seems not. Both crashes looked reasonably benign in terms of him being beaten up by physics, but that may be luck.
For some reason, I initially read that as "beaten up by psychics" - which had me scratching my head. Then I looked again - oh physics - d'oh.

Rick650

Post by Rick650 »

Is there any word on what happened to the Aprilias?
Was it something stupid like them closing down too much radiator area due to low air temps leading to overheating or is a return of the mechanical unreliability that has previously troubled them.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Moto3: Well, Acosta is human. Those 8th place points are still impressive given he fell off. I suspect that come the end of the year, he's not going to need those points though. Particularly with so many of his championship rivals having fallen off.

Moto2: Surely Lowes is going to be out of the championship sooner rather than later at this rate. Remy Gardner is doing the Mir thing of showing that consistency can compensate for a lack of race wins. I think any of the first four are in for a good chance of the championship. Even Sam Lowes if he can stay upright.

I re-watched the MotoGP as highlights. Interesting to note that Ducati riders are in positions 2, 3, and 4 in the championship standings

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I feel that Lowes has lowered his stock with that move/ crash. Sam is at the higher end of the age threshold for promotion to the big class again, although he's fast the team bosses will be put off by the number of unforced errors he makes. He seemed to be suggesting to the team boss that Vierge cut his nose off but for me it was 100% Sam's fault.

Anyone else feel that the Bugatti circuit is one of the worst on the calendar ( first section aside)?

CLX

Post by CLX »

Lowes crash was more like 80/20, but still his fault. The worse is losing ground in the title battle with the type of mistake a rider with his experience should not make anymore.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Sorry a bit late posting here guys but what an eventful race you couldn't take your eyes off it for 2 seconds.
Great for Miller, two on the bounce and hopefully he can carry that confidence forward to Italy. If he won in Mugello that would be any of his contract worries removed for at least another year or two.
Zarco very solid again, it's a shame he is not on the factory bike as I think he could be a genuine WC contender.
Quartararo big winner of the weekend I think as he has shown he can have pace/consistency in dodgy conditions, suddenly his WC challenge is looking a lot stronger. Same also for Bagnaia I think, his year this year is feeling like Mir's last year (if you get what I mean).
Marc I feel sorry for he must have known it was a real possibility there (I did think at one point the race was his!) but its a reminder of how treacherous the conditions were and he was in good company throwing it down the road.
CLX wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:55 pm
Lowes crash was more like 80/20, but still his fault. The worse is losing ground in the title battle with the type of mistake a rider with his experience should not make anymore.
Agree that was really disappointing for Lowes, I thought Vierge looked really good on the breaks and Lowes obviously got impatient behind him. Out of control with the back coming out into the corner you could see it happening unfortunately. He will be lucky to avoid at least a penalty lap in Mugello, do we know if there has been any news on that?