Should Suzuki get Morbidelli and drop Rins?

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
CLX

Should Suzuki get Morbidelli and drop Rins?

Post by CLX »

Just a thought after yet another podium lost for Rins. Assuming no problems with money and contract clauses, what do you guys think about this?

Right now, I'd say yes.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Fingernails

Re: Should Suzuki get Morbidelli and drop Rins?

Post by Fingernails »

CLX wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:40 pm
Just a thought after yet another podium lost for Rins. Assuming no problems with money and contract clauses, what do you guys think about this?

Right now, I'd say yes.
Right now, I'd say too early. Let's see what happens throughout the year.

Both are good riders. I'm not sure which would be better for Suzuki.

hdot

Post by hdot »

I feel like taming Rins' raw speed is less off a gamble than dumping him for Morbidelli

Suzuki is pretty set though. Only one of two factory teams with a WC from the last decade.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Are you serious? The guy who could have won the last race and pushed the bike beyond what it was capable of?

I don't think Rins will ever be a WC contender, just because he has that flaw (shared by more riders than not) of trying to go for wins or podiums rather than settling for points. He has beaten Marquez in a shoot-out at the height of his powers and I have no doubt will get more wins.

I think he is a great counter-point to Mir, who absolutely does race to the capability of the bike but without taking too many risks (and hence why he won the WC last year). I'm sorry but if Suzuki are planning to replace him they are nuts! :D

CLX

Post by CLX »

I am totally serious. Look at his results, 18th, 12th, 4th and 3rd. He has outscored Maverick after Qatar 1 and is close to the form he had in the second half of 2020.

Rins is great, but all these slips and falls hurt him and Suzuki. I can easily see Franco doing more.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I will say last few races have reinforced your point somewhat :)

He definitely needs to turn things around I think now. Last few races he has had the speed to podium but keeps throwing it down the road. You have to think Suzuki will have a limit to their patience..

CLX

Post by CLX »

Or maybw what they really need are 4 bikes instead of 2.
:)

-----

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes for sure I think that would help.

Think Suzuki have always been limited by the money they put into their race project and also the relationship between Hamamatsu and the race team. Apparently that was where David Brivio was so good, linking the European mechanics and riders in the team with Japan, getting productive changes to the bike etc.

I wonder if this is why their championships always seem to be short-lived, they never win year after year as manufacturers like Honda or Yamaha manage. Every now and again they get lightning in a bottle (Kenny Roberts JR & Warren Willing + the other engineers were ignoring Japan and just did their own thing, I believe the same with Schwantz in 1993) and they make a brilliantly effective race bike.

Then again, we are only a few races in perhaps Mir at least will try and mount an effective defence of his WC over the next few races :)

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

I wonder at what point Suzuki bite on experienced rider.. last time they had issues with different styles and feedback, can’t pay the guy and also not listen to him kind of thing. Without Davide Brivio now I don’t see who they will partner to pluck out from pipeline of youth going to other factories. When is that independent team coming again !