Grande Prémio 888 de Portugal - Rd 3

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
MiniNinjaMk5

Grande Prémio 888 de Portugal - Rd 3

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Hey guys

3rd race of the year this weekend and they have finally escaped from the desert!

Predictions for the race weekend? Can Oliviera repeat his win from last time?

Will the king return and reclaim his throne? :)

Fingernails

Re: Grande Prémio 888 de Portugal - Rd 3

Post by Fingernails »

I'm making no predictions. But, because of a certain MM93, I'm much more interested to see the results of the early practice sessions than I usually am.

Heads off to crash.net ... EDIT: MM93 third fastest in FP1. Already (relatively) quicker than I expected he'd get for the entire weekend.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow.. absolutely fucking insane :D

.. Why do I allow myself to be surprised?!

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

And, sixth in FP2. However, Bagnaia has a 0.34s gap on second place. M.Marquez is only 0.143 behind second place.

I interpret this as Bagnaia going for a fast run that nobody else did, and Marc being there or thereabouts at the front. I would no longer be surprised to see him on pole.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Who fell off in FP1 and/or FP2 ?
My signature isn't particularly interesting

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

I think that was Nakagami. Not sure what happened but came off at end of front straight. Strange.

Looking at FP3 times, Quart absolutely killed it, he starts out on a 15lap old rear and then puts another 10 on it ending at race distance running mid -low 1:40’s. All in a tight Lorenzo like string. His slowest lap was better than his quickest race lap last year, which was in early laps., and overall was on par with Oliveras race winning pace.

Also interesting, while Ducati have huge top speed adv and Yamaha at bottom of chart by 10-15kmh diff, their sector times for end of lap and start down the front straight are same or better for yamaha. So their is good balancing out and Yamaha must be getting good drive out the last corner and Ducati riders having to wait an agonizingly good bit longer before giving it the juice.

So same strategy like Qatar, going to need to break away and slice up any one in way for Yamaha, and Ducati need to disturb that rythym but will find it harder to do so.

snowman

Post by snowman »

i think the other 3 Honda riders crashed. Got to be pretty demoralising, MM comes back, 9 months off, riding one handed on somebody's else's setup and in 3 or 4 laps he's faster than them.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Not at all happy with the penalties in qualifying.... looking fwd to the race, hopefully goes without being decided by something trivial like this.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

It's going to be an interesting race. In a normal situation 6th would give Marc a crack at the win. However, we'll see whether there are still fitness issues or residual weakness which may tell over a race distance. Or something else entirely.

FQ seems well placed for a win here if he can break out of the slipstream of the Dukes.

I am busy (volunteering at a vaccination centre) during the time of the race, and may not see it until Wednesday when it appears on the TV. If so, I'll see everyone here on Wednesday. The race will appear on YouTube, but I've had too many races spoiled by searching on YT and those posting it insist on saying who won in the video title.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:43 am
It's going to be an interesting race. In a normal situation 6th would give Marc a crack at the win. However, we'll see whether there are still fitness issues or residual weakness which may tell over a race distance. Or something else entirely.

FQ seems well placed for a win here if he can break out of the slipstream of the Dukes.

I am busy (volunteering at a vaccination centre) during the time of the race, and may not see it until Wednesday when it appears on the TV. If so, I'll see everyone here on Wednesday. The race will appear on YouTube, but I've had too many races spoiled by searching on YT and those posting it insist on saying who won in the video title.
Can you avoid the internet till Wednesday? good luck on that. I was out during the day and I've accidently saw the result for race one in ASBK, sometimes its unavoidable. The free to air telecast for MotoGP starts at 9.30pm Sydney time so I'm good for that.

MM was well down the time sheets in warmup but as you know the data on these session doesn't necessarily reflect the race

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:33 am
MM was well down the time sheets in warmup but as you know the data on these session doesn't necessarily reflect the race
Marc sat out the first half of the warm up and only completed 4 slowish laps. Apparently his right arm muscles (not the bone) are getting weaker and more painful as the weekend has progressed. I think he is in for a very tough race. I am not expecting anything special from him. That being said, it is Marc Marquez .....
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

CLX

Post by CLX »

Quartararo is unstoppable on days like these, but today was also a small reminder in why Mir is the champ over others, nobody is as consistent as him yet. Everyone else just crashes and he salavages points on his bad days.

Lots of crashes, huh? I feel like jumping on the FQ hype train despite knowing how it went in 2020.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

hdot

Post by hdot »

I feel for Rins. I know what it's like to let the excitement of a possible win get the best of you.

Was watching Marc intensely after the race. He looked drained. Arm didn't seem to be bothering him, but he was doing a lot of things with his left that I'd expect him to do with his right. Hopefully it held up OK.

Fabio looks good for the championship. We'll see how he does at the "normal" tracks

Decker

Post by Decker »

CLX wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:48 pm
Quartararo is unstoppable on days like these, but today was also a small reminder in why Mir is the champ over others, nobody is as consistent as him yet. Everyone else just crashes and he salavages points on his bad days.

Lots of crashes, huh? I feel like jumping on the FQ hype train despite knowing how it went in 2020.
Fabio was hating the 2020 spec M1. Mourned the loss of the 2019 chassis. Never gelled with that bike.
This year, he’s clearly in love with it. If he stays uninjured, he’s the best bet for a championship.
Despite what the Chinese calendar says, it’s looking like it could be The Year Of The Frog.
My step-dad who was from Paris would approve.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Incredible ride by Fabio and hopefully he will be a strong contender, but I will avoid putting in any WC predictions until he manages to do better at the tracks the Yamaha struggles at. That being said, what on earth happened to Vinales?

@CLX - Yes I know what you mean about Mir. I actually felt a bit sorry for Rins, the world feed commentators were giving him a really hard time for throwing away 20pts. But that's the kind of rider he is, I'm sure he could have settled for 20pts but he wanted the win and was pushing Quartararo as hard as he could. Fabio could have made a mistake, and then we would have been talking about the great ride of Rins pushing him into a mistake. But I think that's the kind of rider he is, contrast with Mir.

Awesome ride by Marc, that was pretty heroic I think and the best he could have achieved. Didn't crash, didn't knock anyone off because he couldn't break etc.

Zarco crash surprised me, he didn't have the pace of FP4 and then bike making all kinds of shapes before he crashed. Don't know if he suffered from the higher temperatures?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've see the race now. Though, I only avoided it being spoiled by not really interpreting what I saw in the youtube video preview correctly. I thought ahead of time it was going to be a MM93 win.

When I saw qualifying (late) yesterday, I was surprised to see MM93 in first quali, having only seen his 3rd and 6th places in FP1 and FP2. He was clearly rationing out his strength in quali and seemingly in the race too. This might turn out to be the best long term strategy.

Initially MM93 looked like he might head towards the front to challenge for the win. But, it was of course FQ on that path. 7th might look good for MM93, but there were quite a few fallers in front of him. However, at least he has some points now.

What happened to Vinales? Surely that must have been a technical issue to fall all the way to the back. I can't go to Crash.net or anywhere as I haven't seen the Moto2 and Moto3 races yet.

FQ seems to be doing what is needed at the front. However, he was looking quite good this time last year, if I remember correctly.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

In regards the crashes the tyres seemed to give away suddenly, unrecoverable slides. Would like to see the analysis by someone with expertise in tyres. Last year 4 riders DNF'ed, don't know the reasons so hard to compare this years race DNF's with last year at the same circuit

Wasn't anticipating Bagnaia to be 2nd in the world championship after 3 races

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Not sure what happened to Vinales - he had a dreadful start from his poor grid position (thanks to one of his tyres seemingly going onto the green by 1mm) then got nerfed on a couple of corners and was practically in last.

His race pace was quite poor until the halfway point (I wondered if he had a problem tyre, especially after Pol retired) but his pace did pick up before the end. He still finished behind Nakagami though, who had no right at all to be in the race and finishing with the injuries he was carrying.

I've read today that he has deleted his Twitter account because of all the S*it he has been taking. I don't blame him at all TBH.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I have now seen the Moto2 and Moto3 races.

Moto2: Sam Lowes should be a favourite for this year. However, he needs to stay on his bike.

Moto3: Pedro Acosta - what can we say? He appears to have it all. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that he will win the Moto3 championship this year without losing first place in the points standings from now on. And: note avatar change :)

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

That's it then for Acosta! Oh well he had two wins.. :D

CLX

Post by CLX »

When was the last "hot" race we had? Aragon 2020?

I have a silly theory where crashes could have been a result of riders simply not used to pushing hard on hotter than usual days after limited testing and less racing than usual in 2020.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:41 pm
That's it then for Acosta! Oh well he had two wins.. :D
I suspect that his natural talent will overcome someone adopting his picture as an avatar on the internet :D

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Haha yes that's very true, I know Jonny Rea survived last year ! :D

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Great Moto2 and Moto3 races... just finished them. Have to say Moto2 was really good. Roberts looked good but Raul Fernendez and Remy were better. The passes back and forth with Canet and company were smooth and precise. When remy rubbed and nudged his way passed I was thinking Roberts was going to be hot but he was rather proud of the newley acquired rubber markings on his shoulder. Real class act there glad to see him getting better. Fernandez, holly cow, is he really a rookie! Putting in fastest laps of race at times others trying to bring home their tires. And same in moto3 another rookie on a roll. Going to be good watching.