TISSOT Grand Prix of Doha - Rd.2

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
kenup283

TISSOT Grand Prix of Doha - Rd.2

Post by kenup283 »

Another crack at bat for our first and what may be our only double header of the year.

With the strategies pretty clear for all the teams and riders , their cards are on the table, so it comes down to who can execute that plan among the top runners.

Like before the ducatis will look to become a gang of red road blocks and the Yamahas and Suzuki’s will try to break thru and push the pace at the front.

Seeing how the independent teams get on and if can close gap will be good. Looking for that backflip to come early this year. It’s a good chance if was to be.

Mikesbytes

Re: TISSOT Grand Prix of Doha - Rd.2

Post by Mikesbytes »

What surprised me about having 2 races at the same track a week apart was how much variation there was in the result, where prior to the 2020 season I was expecting the second race to be similar to the first race at the same circuit

Predictions for race 2;
1. Morbidelli's launch control won't get stuck
2. Rossi will experience less tyre problems
3. Miller will experience almost the same tyre problems
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes right that is surprising Mike - I thought also it would be like WSBK where it would be normal to have the same winner in both races or even same podium on occasion, the week gap really seems to make a difference.

Will be an interesting weekend and to see if Maverick can strike gold two weekends in a row. Also if Miller can get on top of the tyre issue and figure in the result. I would definitely expect Morbidelli to bounce back after the technical gremlins in race one.

Apparently very, very hot at the circuit now. Frankie Carchedi (Mir's crew chief) already saying FP2 is a defacto FP3 for determining who will get into Q2, as it will be way too hot in FP3 (so make sure you tune in this evening for that!)

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Found these comments from Zarco interesting.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/97429 ... nday-zarco

Reading between the lines.

Zarco Ver.2019: the power deliver is $hit
Zarco Ver.2021: Yamahas lack of power is an advantage

Speaking French is not enough to also learn finer points of speaking nuance to drop hints as needed without offending. I badly paraphrased out above, leaving out the contexts of tire management for comment now vs before was about bike handling. Also before was what is call locker room talk and should be able to be stomached vs talking to media. Just sharing in either case.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:59 am
What surprised me about having 2 races at the same track a week apart was how much variation there was in the result,
Yep I’m gonna miss this.. I’d say it’s the diff btwn racing same/next day to the next weekend which gives time for people to make adjustments and regroup. As is biggest teams with biggest notebook will show up closer to top, having the extra week gives the independents another crack at it. WSBK would benefit from this too if think.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Of course the target is a win, especially if you came second on the previous week at the same track. Tomorrows outcome will be impacted by the teams ability to learn from the data of the previous week and make the right adjustments accordingly

FP1 and FP2 as usual are hard to read, to take the biggest variation Zarco was 3 seconds faster in FP2 than FP1. Track temperature was cooler in FP2 than FP1 and also they would of being doing a hot lap in FP2 in case the conditions are not right for FP3 on Saturday

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Really hot today and apparently very windy, safely say that the FP2 times are probably going to have determined who goes through to Q2?

Yes Mike world feed was saying FP2 and then FP4 really the only ones useful for actual race data, far too hot in FP1 and FP3 the track characteristics will have changed too much.

hdot

Post by hdot »

I hope Zarco has been brushing up on his backflips

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Well done Martin on that pole. Only his second race, he is heading towards greatness, time will tell

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

What a Moto3 race. We may have a new Marquez in the mix. Congratulations Pedro Acosta, one of the best rides I have seen in 45 years of following this sport.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

hdot

Post by hdot »

What. A. Race.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Wow, this was exceptional. I already know what I'm re-watching tonight.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow what a race!

Outstanding rides by the podium finishers.
Feel a bit sorry for Martin as he led for so long, I kept waiting for his tyres to go off and pace drop off but he kept on it. I liked that Zarco said he almost acted like a rear guard for Martin, saying he could only just keep up but Martin had such lovely smooth lines and he didn't want to interrupt with it. Likewise great that they both didn't end up in the gravel at the end! :D

Great ride by Fabio. I think Simon Crafar said it was the best win he had seen of his career. Fabio replied, "well you don't have many to choose from.." you've got to love it, how you can ride with that talent and still be so humble.

What does everyone think on the Mir/Miller clash? I'm honestly not sure either way. I suppose if that had been Morbidelli or Oliviera hitting Mir (as an example) I would have said with almost certainty it was an accident, with Jack I'm not so sure.. I still remember him trying to run Alex Marquez off the track in the Moto3 title race all those years ago and not sure if a leopard can change its spots?
I also think there may have been some other hard passed on Jack (not just Mir) we didn't see? And he had got the red mist at that point (not to excuse it if it was deliberate, as it was super dangerous if they had gone down at that point on the track it would have been nasty)
WayneG wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:54 pm
What a Moto3 race. We may have a new Marquez in the mix. Congratulations Pedro Acosta, one of the best rides I have seen in 45 years of following this sport.
Agreed! An outstanding performance, managed to go one further than Brad Binder !

What was most impressive for me was the clinical passes he carried out over the last few laps, definitely signs of something special.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I've seen some debate elsewhere where there was differing views on the Miller/Mir incidents. It would be good to see some onboard camera footage, there were plenty of bikes around those incidents, don't they all have onboard cameras? We have seen in the past how different something can look from different angles

CLX

Post by CLX »

I think Miller should be given a penalty. If they tangle and any one them falls on or close to the racing line, over half the field is behind with the throttle wide open and we have a tragedy about to happen.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

That was my thought exactly CLX. That could have been far, far worse.

It's really interesting that there doesn't seem to be any common agreement on the incident or what the punishment should be. You can see Miller look over as they are coming onto the straight and a few pundits have speculated that this means there was intent. Michael Laverty thought he may have intended to just brush Mir or make him slow to come back on track, and then Mir came back across.

David Emmett made an interesting point on the Paddock Pass Podcast. It's most likely that if something like this happens again, and Miller drives someone off line or there is another coming together, it's much less likely to be seen as an isolated incident and he will probably be punished at that point.

herbs

Post by herbs »

Mir is a wanker. He was off line and tried to cut in where a bike already was. What's to debate? He was also causing chaos elsewhere. Hell, he has previous form at portimao last year. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

CLX wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:55 pm
I think Miller should be given a penalty. If they tangle and any one them falls on or close to the racing line, over half the field is behind with the throttle wide open and we have a tragedy about to happen.
This is what I thought when I first saw the incident. After watching the same camera angle a couple of times I decided that I needed more camera angles to come to a conclusion and it sticks in my head that race direction didn't give a penalty so maybe they have seen different angles to me.

BTW are there any French people here? Congrats on getting 2 French'ies on the podium, las time was something like 1954

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

CLX wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:55 pm
This is what I thought when I first saw the incident. After watching the same camera angle a couple of times I decided that I needed more camera angles to come to a conclusion and it sticks in my head that race direction didn't give a penalty so maybe they have seen different angles to me.

BTW are there any French people here? Congrats on getting 2 French'ies on the podium, last time was something like 1954 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_Gran ... ing_season

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Great race. Martin looked awesome. The way he hanged off the bike and was super smooth. Made the tire last. Agree Zarco was covering his 6 and was his wingman.

Martin had only 11th quickest lap time and Qaurt had 7th quickest laps. Showing they were more consistent than many others. For example Bagnaia quickest race lap and A.Espargao 2nd quickest finished farther down the order. A sign they either spent their tire or were eratic.

As for the Miller thing... easier to say what he did not do. Which was leave room for the guy on the outside.... nor did he follow the normal line that swoops back down to inner pit wall which would have also avoided the contact. Rather he it ran out to and held it on the white line.

I’m good with no penalty, Miller suffered more damage to his reputation this way. A penalty would have only made it something for people to take sides against and been over time served. As it is now it hangs over his head longer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_6J_dSiQd4A

pom

Post by pom »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:36 am

BTW are there any French people here? Congrats on getting 2 French'ies on the podium, last time was something like 1954 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_Gran ... ing_season
Yup. Hi from France and thks for your congratulations . Much appreciated indeed. As appreciated as the race to say the least :lol:

I'm really happy to see both Zarco and Yamaha back to the top . I hope it will last though. Last years showed One track truth did not last much.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Zarco is a really interesting character isn't he. I was reading about him apparently playing the piano and guitar and having a sing along with their team in one of the hotels after the first race.

I also asked on the Motorsport Magazine website about what has happened to his rising sun helmet motif (which made him really easy to spot!) and someone told me this is why he changed it, a quote from him in an interview "A page is turning, I must now be better than the kamikaze to continue living my dreams! Here is the Chakra-Spirit! Based on the colours of the 7 symbolic Chakras of meditation. I like these and I like to push the mind further as it seems limitless"

Definitely a character..
herbs wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:38 am
Mir is a wanker. He was off line and tried to cut in where a bike already was. What's to debate? He was also causing chaos elsewhere. Hell, he has previous form at portimao last year. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I think they both have previous! :D

I thought Simon Crafar made an interesting point during the race, with the Yams and Suzukis down on top end they had to make some hard passes on the infield. The Ducatis just needed to be within 0.5 a second of whomever was in front and then they were back past on the straight. So I think that's why you saw some quite bad lunges from both Mir and Vinales, who I think were getting flustered. Rins did some nice passes on Zarco who then must have just been "lol" and breezed straight back past on the straight, it must have been so frustrating.

Actually makes Quartararo's ride more impressive, he made some lovely clean passes and did them at the right point too, made enough of a gap on Martin on the infield that Martin couldn't come straight back past on the straight.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

pom wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:07 am
Mikesbytes wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:36 am

Yup. Hi from France and thks for your congratulations . Much appreciated indeed. As appreciated as the race to say the least :lol:

I'm really happy to see both Zarco and Yamaha back to the top . I hope it will last though. Last years showed One track truth did not last much.
If they get enough head start on Marquez, perhaps one of them can repel the Spanish invasion (and I don't mean at the Pyrenees). The last 10 years have been won by Spanish riders (Lorenzo, Marquez, Mir).

CLX

Post by CLX »

It does seem as Ducati stil rely on Dovi's win as slowly as possible style, but Zarco and Martin were very very good.

How the hell did Ducati top one of the slower sectors in qualifying, by the way?

-----

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Some quite interesting discussion on this on the Lorenzo Youtube channel (which is pretty entertaining btw if you get the chance to check it out) - he said Martin had a really interesting style on the bike, breaking late and running deep through the corner. Actually compared it to Stoner's way of riding the Ducati which is quite a compliment! You could definitely see it on the one corner (left hander in sector 2) a few guys ran alongside him but couldn't outbreak him. Contrasted it with Zarco's more traditional Ducati style of running deep into the corner, breaking late & heavy, then picking the bike up out of the corner - don't know if that matches what you saw in the sector times CLK !