2021 Calendar

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
MiniNinjaMk5

2021 Calendar

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Some interesting rumours about potential changes the 2021 MotoGP calendar (most of this courtesy of Simon Patterson and Toby Moody on the Race podcast)

- No Sepang test
- US and Argentina rounds likely to be cancelled
- Qatar might be a 'month long' visit. Two tests there and then two race weekends. Apparently the 'money no object' thing means they can set up Covid testing centres there, easy to keep the riders and teams separated from the public etc. so it's seen as low risk.
- Portugal Portimao likely to be the European round (not sure if this will replace Valencia or one of the other Spanish rounds?)

Speaking personally I really want to look at tickets for Finland but I wouldn't dare right at this moment ! :cry:

Mikesbytes

Re: 2021 Calendar

Post by Mikesbytes »

Personally I can't see any rounds with perhaps the exception of QATAR happening before Europe. MotoGP would of been better off to use a calendar similar to WSBK where the European rounds are all done before the flyaway's.

An example being Australia, to come here you will be required to quarantine for 14 days within Australia and that won't change prior to everyone being vaccinated
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Apical

Re: Happy New Year 2021

Post by Apical »

Happy new year to those of us that survived.
Condolences to the families & friends of those 2,000,000 or so that died.

The calendars are all provisional at the moment, but it seems we will have racing like what we had in 2020. Last year! Feels good to say that.

No WSBK at Phillip Island on the last weekend of next month. Not happy about this but I understand. So I'm planning to travel to Tasmania. If we are allowed to travel to Tassie, through Victoria, that will be good. If not I will cope with that.
May be able to visit a couple of race tracks in Tassie. Baskerville is near Hobart. Beware of dangerous hounds! Two kilometres 1.5 miles, looks interesting. Some track days on offer, may get to ride around. We'll see.
Symmonds Plains I've been to once back in 1981 for the Australian Motocross championships. That was on the dirt. I did get to walk the roadrace circuit 2.4 ks /1.5 miles. I've seen the bikes (ASBK) & tin tops going around on the tele. Different, one good fast corner.

Stay cool and enjoy what we have, this to shall pass.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Definitely share that sentiment Apical and fingers crossed this year is a turning point!

We are absolutely at rock bottom here in the UK (and I think most of Europe) at the moment but hopefully things will start to improve with both the coming of the vaccine and once the worst effects of Christmas gatherings have been accounted for.

Bike-wise amazingly I see the Sepang tests are still planned to go ahead. Will be interesting if that holds up, apparently they need special dispensation from the Malaysian gov. I haven't looked at the Malay CV-19 figures to know whether letting people into the country from Europe is a good move which I'm sure will weigh on their decision.

Just read an article in Motocourse about the Covid-19 prep and logistics Dorna had to do last year to even have the races they did, it sounds like an absolute admin nightmare!

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Feeling Nostalgic....my 1 and only live MotoGP race. Oh how things change....Image link won't work. cannot verify dimensions. click below.
https://ibb.co/10N2bq1

Apical

Post by Apical »

Latest information says 7 day mandatory quarantine on arrival in Qatar. So maybe more than a month. The extra test is confirmed as a replacement for the Sepang test.

I will wait and see what develops.

On my personal calendar, we were allowed to pass through Victoria. I'm in Tasmania!
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson