R15 - Grande Prémio MEO de Portugal Algarve International Circuit PORTUGAL

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Mikesbytes

R15 - Grande Prémio MEO de Portugal Algarve International Circuit PORTUGAL

Post by Mikesbytes »

Final race and the championship pressure is off, so will be interesting to see if Mir becomes more aggressive.
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Mikesbytes

Re: R15 - Grande Prémio MEO de Portugal Algarve International Circuit PORTUGAL

Post by Mikesbytes »

MIKA KALLIO REPLACES
NO. 27 IKER LECUONA OUT DUE TO
QUARANTINE RESTRICTIONS

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

Holy smokes - how delicious is that 'drop' before Turn 1? The bikes look like they are almost in freefall before the corner. Going to be very interesting in the opening lap of the race!

Really looking forward to this race, makes me slightly wish there was more riding on the outcome, but maybe some will push harder with "nothing to lose".

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I think this race will be a good opportunity for someone to mark their claim for next year.

Of course, a fully fit Marc would automatically be favourite, but we don't know if he will be fully fit.

Personally I hope that someone like Vinales or Dovi who have been disappointing this year claw something back at the last minute.

My prediction for Mir is that he will not qualify for the front row, but ride well for a solid points scoring position. Based on not much.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I'm assuming that none of predicted that Mir would be on the back row

Olivera - win it or bin it. Past that I have no idea

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow.. what a ride by Oliveira. Think Herve Poncheral said it best, he was just in the zone and didn't look back.

Happy for Miller, has shown he really deserves that factory Ducati ride with the recent run of form. Funny at the end there, I wonder what he was saying to Zarco (maybe "look after my bike?")
Morbidelli too - I'm guessing going on how the 2020 Yamahas went he isn't going to be too troubled by staying on the 2019 bike next season?

Suzuki had a bucket of cold water thrown over them, I guess if you are going to have a stinker round that's the time to do it!

I won't say the Moto3 or 2 results because of spoilers in case anyone hasn't seen those yet.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Amazing ride by Olivera. I couldn't appreciate how much so until taking a look back at the timesheets...

By lap3 with just one flyer in he was in the 1:39's. He cranked out another even quicker after that. It wouldn't be until another dozen laps before another rider, Miller, put in a sub 1:40 lap, and it would be the only time as no other rider managed to either. Olivera leveled off at that mark and squezzed in five in all sub forty laps, to rest of fields one.

So where is he doing it. A little bit of everywhere but sector 3 looks like in qualifying to be his. The first and fastest of the "waterfalls" where could see in Q2 him hovering the front with steering input already applied such that at point he sets it down the bike immediately flopps over and tips into the turn. He was supper smooth through and efficient through there in what looks like a feet off the pegs moment for others he was butter and probably already feeding in throttle while others collecting back their pieces they left above them.

Mir had a puzzler. But what a first lap! From back of pack to 12 in one lap and rubbing tires with 8th before standing it up and taking evasive action to avoid hitting Zarco in a slower apex. Now he did have some Marquez style wrecking ball moments in the opener but was impressive if any new Mir fans looking for a positive to take away. It was a hurried lap and out of character. I don't know why he eventually pulled in out of the race but I got the feelin if he wasn't feeling pressure, or at least not showing it, before becoming WC, he certainly was now.

As for the yamaha's, there was a moment where commentators spoke about the 2020's vs the 2019 bike as a notable observation. What I saw there was the riders on 2020 bike happen to be the ones who got swallowed up and down in the pack on a following track that they needed to carry corner speed on to be fast. We've seen same with the 2019 bike as well, and year before that, and so on. In same way Mir stood up when got to Zarco, the gang of FA, and MV were backed up behind Zarco mid corner and then before could get around, got carved up by RIns who opened door for Hondas and Ducs to follow.

Yamaha in a tough spot with their HP deficient.. We now know what they tried new valves this season to address this issue. It just proved a bit unreliable early on and they swapped out of it. Now they are looking stuck with where they are for another year. So likely more of same and next year we can hear about the 2021 bikes not being as good as the 2020's, ;)

As for Herve and Coulon and co. at Tech3. The coup is complete. Great to see KTM rise up and the independent team get some wins. I recall Olivera not being happy at one point at being in independent team, and KTM and Herve saying we need good rider there too, so you hang out there while we put Brad in the factory team. He swallowed it up and now is looking better for it. Great chance to learn without added pressure, and in my view having the wizard that Guy Coulon is as your crew chief is something better than the factory could offer. Well done by all there.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Track looked terrific for bikes.

Is there any secreto to Miller's riding style? He makes the GP20 look good with these tyres on back to back weekends at very different circuits.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

My thoughts on that are Dovi uses the rear as an anchor to stop the bike and Miller uses the rear as a skid to steer the bike.

Dovi jumped on this and was first to adapt to maximize the powerful rear when Michelin’s first came out. Hard braking and keeping rear squatted. Miller I see hangin off the bike more and in general more comfy moving the rear around either into or out of turns. It has cost him in past as Miller uses up his tires more where Dovi was able to run a pace start to end while others can’t.

The way I thought about it was Dovi’s tires probably looked most evenly worn, where Milers prob still has unused meat down the middle to 45 deg but was toast from 45 to the edge. Of course I never got close enough to a used rear to put my laser profile meter on it, :) but i would suspect teams do or at least should do that sort of thing, even if it’s just with cardboard cutout templates.

That all said this advantage went away from Dovi as Michlien learned to make a tire that lasts longer. Which has conversely helped guys who’s style and or bikes, live on the edge more often.

Both riders like motocross but I wonder if Dovi prefers to corner through ruts with body (spine) mostly in line with lean angle of bike, while Miller may also enjoy the dirt track style of getting off the side of bike and turning with the rear.