Marquez 2021

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
MiniNinjaMk5

Re: Marquez 2021

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Out on the bike at Qatar! Admittedly a road-going version of the RCV, but he didn't look like he was hanging around..

Apparently a bunch of the riders were in one of the Qatar hotel gyms and Marc just walked in, no-one had realised he was on his way there.

I don't know how much of it is genuine fitness testing, a plan to come back in R1, or he is also trying to put the wind up his rivals (which seems to be a fairly consistent view of journos).

I will still be surprised if he comes back for R1 Qatar, feel like Portugal or Spain is more likely. But, really I am not basing this on anything! :)

jimv

Post by jimv »

Even if he's not physically ready to complete an entire race it might make sense for him to go to Qatar1 just for the FP sessions - treat it like a test without intending to race.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes a view from a few journos now seems to be that he will come to R1 and FP just to see if he can do it on the Friday morning.

Although beyond this wondering what is the danger of him falling and hitting his arm again if it was not fully healed? That also has to be taken into consideration, beyond just his capability of wresting the bike around the track.

1 week until we find out in any case!

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

I can definitely see him racing in Qatar. If it’s a shake down race one and then full bore second race or hit it right from start is my only question.

I lm actually thinking, only half jokingly, that Marquez may very well come out of this ambidextrous and Honda will mount a twist grip on the left bar and find something to make it control later.

Only wild card for me is if the fusion in arm is well enough to handle some elbow draggin or the tension the fist time he loses front and holds onto bike during crash as he typically does.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I'm guessing his arm is strong enough to race but not strong enough to crash. We won't know if my guess is correct or not until he crashes
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Breaking news this morning - Marquez to miss both Qatar rounds, he has his next medical check the week of the Portugal round.

Can completely understand him being cautious. There was some video of him before really breaking hard into the final bend at Portugal which certainly makes it look like he is getting close, but it might be HRC just want him to be super careful after last time.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

So his arm isn't ready 15 weeks after surgery, that's a long time and if its that slow then who knows when it could be ready. HRC will probably leave us guessing for each round

atropos

Post by atropos »

His humerus needed to recover from the infection before proper fracture healing could take place. A fracture will heal in 6-8 weeks assuming no complications and by healing that means requires no further support eg from a cast or brace. It will take longer for the healing bone to achieve full strength. However, in the case of infection, there is no "set" time frame for recovery of bone from infection. Osteomyelitis is notoriously difficult and time consuming to treat.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Apparently Marc to have another health check on 12th April at which point a decision will be made on whether he will race in Portugal.

Fair amount of talk on the various podcasts and racing media about whether he will be strong enough to race (or even how close he was in Qatar), but ultimately don't think anyone knows!

Similarly conversation about how quickly he will come up to speed when he returns.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

He’s also not mentally fatigued by a month in Qatar that seems to have weighed on many.

So he’ll be that much more ready to go and won’t have to leave Europe til end of season (if those happen).

40 points down on a Ducati, 36 down on both factory Yamahas, and 26 or less on the rest. Not bad at all.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

An out of condition M Marquez would probably be just as good as Bradl and would be back at the front in a couple of races. If he does come back at the next round and doesn't suffer any significant problems with his arm, such as another crash, then I'll predict he will be world champion, not just because of his skills but because the opposition is too consistent, there's a group of riders who the points will be shared, similar to 2020.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

But how will a month of fatigue compare with almost a year of not riding a MotoGP bike in anger, against a field that has been?

A lot of interesting discussion about what level Marquez will be at when he comes back, even the pundits can't agree although I think the vast majority think even if he comes back at 85% whether that is good enough to beat the rest of the field (or to be WC this year) remains to be seen. Have the other guys stepped up? What psychological condition will Marc be in? Yes we call him an alien/super-human, and things he has done on the bike defy belief, but he is still just a guy and will have the same worries and pressures (all that HRC weight and money resting on his shoulders!)

I would be very, very surprised if he is either side of that - either back to complete dominance, or struggling to get in the points. I'm not convinced Portimao is the best track to come back at (it's very physical - perhaps that's why he was doing test runs there?) but ironically him being absent may have resulted in the bike being made easier to ride, and actually help him? Who knows! :)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I really think that nobody knows how competitive Marquez would be on return - probably including Marquez himself.

CLX

Post by CLX »

I guess he's back, or at leat will get a full weekend of riding in anger. Assuming fitness and health are not chronic problems, a steady top ten would be enough.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

If it was any other current rider I would be surprised if they could get a top 10 finish, after a gap this long.

But for Marc, he has surprised us so many times before, so who knows? Interesting article in Pacino GP saying the team are apparently aiming for top 15 in FP1, top 10 FP2 and then go from there, but that there is an anticipation from within his circle that they might be able to do more. I never know with Pacino as I know he can get flowery with his writing, whether this is something real and reported or imagined.

One issue is that the who field is so close now how do you push to just 10th place when that person is only 0.4 from 1st? You are already riding pretty damn fast even to get there! So I think provided he is not riding around with Salvadori at the back are FP1 (which I think unlikely) it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is towards the top after FP3. That's for one lap, race is a different matter, not least because he will not be 'race fit', especially around a very physical track like Portimao. If conditions are good in the race I wouldn't say top 8 or even top 6 are out of the realm of possibility (but again, just because it is Marc!)

Feel like we are trying to predict Rossi's first race on the Yamaha in 2004, and we know how that ended! :D

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I'm wondering if he will risk falling off in free practice, which has previously been a technique he used to find the limit

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:07 am
I'm wondering if he will risk falling off in free practice, which has previously been a technique he used to find the limit
I predict he will be much more careful about falling off in general, and this will affect his performance going forward. Predictions can easily be wrong.

How much of an effect this will have will depend on the competitiveness of the Honda. If it's behind, then he would normally have to take more risks to make it competitive. He may (or may not) be less willing to do so now.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:16 am
Mikesbytes wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:07 am
I predict he will be much more careful about falling off in general, and this will affect his performance going forward. Predictions can easily be wrong.

How much of an effect this will have will depend on the competitiveness of the Honda. If it's behind, then he would normally have to take more risks to make it competitive. He may (or may not) be less willing to do so now.
I agree but will the red mist kick in?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:08 pm
I agree but will the red mist kick in?
Entirely possible. But, he has been out of action for probably longer than he will have been ever in his career. This may have sunken in.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Quite interesting listening to the Paddock Pass podcast about the upcoming race. None of the journos could agree on what to expect from Marc - everything from him doing well to finish in the top 10, to expecting him to challenge for the podium.

Think the only thing they could agree on was Marc himself will probably have some idea! And none of have any idea for sure until Sunday afternoon.