R14 Gran Premio Motul de la Comunitat Valenciana 15 Nov

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Mikesbytes

R14 Gran Premio Motul de la Comunitat Valenciana 15 Nov

Post by Mikesbytes »

Mir just needs to finish on the podium. I'm kinda hoping he does because I'd hate to see that it could go to the last round and the last round get cancelled
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Re: R14 Gran Premio Motul de la Comunitat Valenciana 15 Nov

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes me too - I'm guessing, the way Mir has been a sensible head on his shoulders for this year, he can come in with a podium (assuming a Rins or Quartararo win - I guess Rins is probably best placed for that).

Looks like a dry albeit cold track this morning, a lot of Moto3 riders chucking it into the gravel and I think Salac out for the weekend, it looks like he was knocked out. Hopefully nothing worse than that for him.

Could be all three classes decided this weekend!

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

I think the summer-in-southern-Europe bias to MotoGP is going to show - there's very little experience of cold tracks. There could be a lot of crashers over these two rounds, both because of no settings and because the riders and teams aren't used to operating in these conditions.

I'm betting a lot of teams are going to be rummaging down the back of the kit trucks for branded woollies etc

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

FP1,2 track temperatures was 19 and 21c As usual times are close enough that there's nothing to read into the practice times

Is Lecuona out?

Apical

Post by Apical »

Iker Lecuona missed Friday practices due to Covid 19.
He has done ten days quarantine. As required by local regulations. Should be on track for fp3 Saturday morning.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/11/ ... cia/355805
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Apical wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:52 am
He has done ten days quarantine. As required by local regulations. Should be on track for fp3 Saturday morning.

The mind boggles, three negative tests for Iker then he rocks up at the circuit and gives a positive????????

It's like the inconclusive test that Rossi got, how the bloody hell are you positive, then negative, then maybe positive again???????

Suggests to me the tests for this virus are as useful as a handbrake in a canoe!!!

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

That's a spectacular crash by A Marquez

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Well, that was an exciting race! Great ride and deserved win by Morbidelli. And, great to see Mir sealing the deal. While Mir has his win, this is the way that he won it by consistently scoring. So, I don't think there's anything disappointing to see a win with a 7th place.

And, Quartararo is currently 5th in the championship?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Mir rode with the championship in mind. Kept himself close enough that he could move up if needed and kept himself largely in free air so not to get tangled in someone else's crash

Morbidelli showed why he was on the grid putting in a solid effort at the front and fighting with Miller on that final lap.

Miller is showing that he has improved his tyre management

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Morbidelli is now 17 points ahead of Quartararo in the championship. Some of that is consistency and not falling off. However, I think it's notable that they are likely to end up in this order in the championship. For a while it's seemed as if people think that Quartararo is an alien in waiting while Morbidelli is there or thereabouts. And of course FQ is off to the factory team while FM isn't. I wonder if FM will beat MV again in the championship next year. That would be interesting.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

You have to consider as well that Morbidelli had two 'unforced' DNFs. One break down (when he was on course for 2nd) and then that heart-stopper in Austria where he came together with Zarco. Don't think him running the 2019 bike again next year is necessarily a bad thing as the bike is obviously working well, Morbidelli is working well and Ramon Forcada obviously knows how to set it up well - it's a really good combination.
Neil Spalding made an interesting point - if they have boxes of 2019 parts not being used back in Japan, why weren't those on the grid at Valencia and being used by the other riders?

Good race again at Valencia though, Mir rode the perfect race did exactly what he needed to do and is a worthy champion for 2020.
Great last lap I was amazed Miller managed to keep his tyres in shape, I kept expecting his pace to drop off (or him to drop off..) but was a nice surprise - and Frankie showing that the Yamaha could be used to fight if it needs to, a great ride.

Looking forward to Portugal now it will probably be a crazy one! :)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Thanks @MiniNinjaMk5

I'm way behind on everything. I was initially wondering about Morbidelli not getting the latest Yamaha, but then I read this: https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/94874 ... -2019-bike

FQ seemed all-conquering at the very start of the season, but things have clearly gone wrong since then. I wished I understood more about why this is the case.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Quite the contrast from Quartararo who was speaking about being on the factory spec bike as not the right choice.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/94 ... ect-choice

Not the words I’d have used ! But aside from that couldn’t get past his mention of a more consistent bike in same interview he talks about chasing setup and changing everything they can.

Saw same before with Tech3 sticking to a good base setting and outperforming the factory bikes, I believe is the difference. The Yamaha needs the track to come to it rather than chasing a setup for what at best would be right only for the last session, not the next session.

Franco mentions this some in link below from last year where he says how the mistake in his case was not sticking with a good base setup from an expirenced crew chief. Key here for me in how one sees themselves as part of the solution the other does not... makes me think the factory Yamaha problems aren’t going away :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motors ... 22354/amp/

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Could be just the chassis which can be changed. Yamaha traditionally did suffer grip problems in lower temperatures compared with their competitors, perhaps Morbidelli has found a way to ride around it

Apical

Re: Apical wrong again.

Post by Apical »

Schwantz34 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:26 pm
Apical wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:52 am

The mind boggles, three negative tests for Iker then he rocks up at the circuit and gives a positive????????

It's like the inconclusive test that Rossi got, how the bloody hell are you positive, then negative, then maybe positive again???????

Suggests to me the tests for this virus are as useful as a handbrake in a canoe!!!
I was wrong again. Looks like Lecuona is out. Mika Kallio in for Portimão.
Cannot find any info as to what is going on with Iker Lecuona. Anyone know?
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

Apical wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:36 am
Cannot find any info as to what is going on with Iker Lecuona. Anyone know?
I'm pretty sure I read this on trash.net - although Iker was initially quarantined due to his brother (who is also his assistant) testing positive, Iker himself has now tested positive for Covid