R13 Gran Premio de Europa Circuit Ricardo Tormo SPAIN

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Mikesbytes

R13 Gran Premio de Europa Circuit Ricardo Tormo SPAIN

Post by Mikesbytes »

Garrett Gerloff Will FP1 and FP2 on Rossi's bike and assuming that Rossi gets a second negative test then Rossi will take over
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Re: R13 Gran Premio de Europa Circuit Ricardo Tormo SPAIN

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Thanks for starting the thread Mikesbytes

Tricky conditions in Moto3 despite the later start, cold and wet track. A lot of the guys throwing it down the road.

Good luck Gerloff having your first go on a GP bike around a wet Valencia! :shock:

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Weather all over the place today so hard to glean much from the results.

Last few minutes of FP2 are worth a watch as everyone going for a time (track was mostly dry and possibility of rain during FP3 tomorrow) - I won't write the result here for now if not everyone has seen.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Miller was strong in both sessions.
Eventually people will look back and realize he was the strongest Ducati rider of the season, but with rotten luck.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Miller looked great. Really enjoyed one point where he gave a buzz cut to Viñales tucking it up the inside and railing past the unsettled and off the pace Yamaha rider.

Gerloff looked really good too for those series of laps. Hadn’t studied much more to see where he was strong but looks like got just enough of a taste and made just the right amount of good exposure for now.

Glad to hear Rossi better and we’re back racing.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Miller is often strong in wet or mixed conditions. If it rains for FP3 as predicted then the top 10 are the FP2 results and we have the main contenders for the championship in the top 10 except Vinales, who you guys have reported as starting from Pitt lane.

In regards to Yamaha's infringement, they knew they were breaking the rules but they could of got it done within the rules if they had complied with Honda's request for material analysis of the valves. As much as it would suck to have the championship decided by technical penalty one has to ask how much of a competitive advantage the Yamaha riders got from replacing the dodgy valves

jimv

Post by jimv »

Vinales has exceeded the 5 engine limit and will start the race from pitlane -

https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/11/06/mot ... refresh_ce

The commentators believed that is less of a disadvantage here (~10sec) rather than Aragon (~20sec), wonder if that played into the decision

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

jimv wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:26 pm

The commentators believed that is less of a disadvantage here (~10sec) rather than Aragon (~20sec), wonder if that played into the decision
I reckon Vale should join him in pit lane, get that new engine unlocked while he's starting from 17th anyway.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

jimv wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:26 pm

I was thinking the same, better to take a pit lane start in this race, however I'm hearing it might be a dry race.

Miller and Aleix E have identical qualifying times and Aleix has the spot but not so bad for Miller, he's behind Zarco and think they have Zarco on the launch device thingie so could give Miller some semi free space for the start. Also Zarco lost his best lap due to yellow flags, so might of been higher on the grid aka the old what if...

CLX

Post by CLX »

Not the nail biting race I expected, but a fitting result to help put things in proper order before the season’s end.

I’m a little sad to see Quartararo’s challenge fade like this. All of a sudden it reminded me of Maverick’s 2017 season. The collective struggles of the Yamaha riders make me wonder if they have exausted their design philosophy since the M1 only seems to shine in perfect conditions regardless of the rider on top of it.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

hdot

Post by hdot »

Yamaha's design isn't the problem as a very similar bike is at the front of the championship. It's something in their execution.

Good but boring race and a well deserved win for Mir. Nice to see Taka and KTM near the front too.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Despite the lack of swapping places I found it nail biting. Was Mir going to get there or bin it? While unlikely it was critical for the championship.

How far behind did Vinales start? He didn't catch anyone.

Salvadori retired to the pits with 2 laps to go. It was only 1 point but that must of sucked.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Well that was an imperious ride by Mir. Didn't need to win that, but really stamped his authority with what I have to say was a beautiful ride. One hand on the title now, going to need some serious misfortune for him to lose this year.
Oh dear Yamaha - think 2007 the last time there wasn't a rider in the top 10 (courtesy of Dr M Raines).
Feel really sorry for Quartararo, really got caught up in someone else's accident there (but that is the danger of being mid pack, we see it time and time again). I don't know if he would have had the speed to finish that well, but it might have been enough to keep a foot in the door at least.

Feel happy for Suzuki generally, Pol said afterwards in an interview 'the blue missile', they put all of the Yamaha/engines news to bed in one fell stroke. Arguably the strongest bike/team/rider combination on the grid right now.
Mikesbytes wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:02 am
How far behind did Vinales start? He didn't catch anyone.
Think you get released from pitlane 5 seconds after lights go out - so it was a tall ask. It's definitely a big penalty, you'll only get points really if other people DNF (which I guess is what happened)

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

King Juan just oozes class, that statement about real pressure being for people struggling to pay rent/ for food shows he's incredibly grounded.

I said it before on another thread but Quartararo displays behaviour that will totally hinder any effort for a world championship especially against Marquez, Fabio seems to throw the toys out the pram at the slightest hiccup whereas Mir is cool as a cucumber in the face of pressure

CLX

Post by CLX »

I don’t mind Quartararo’s behaviour. Seing Suzuki succeed must hurt more than watching Marc win over and over. If anything I think now is the time for Yamaha riders to exert the most pressure possible on everyone between Italy and Japan.

-----

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I think in many ways Qaurtararo's behaviour is normal for a young guy in that position. He wears his heart on his sleeve that's for sure (I actually quite like that about him).

Mir is the one that is extraordinary, to have that kind of presence of mind and maturity at that age is something else. Toby Moody said there is almost a bit of Nicky Hayden in him, the way he is so laid back about his life, I think I can kind of see that.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Great ride by Rins and all the podium, heck top five even.

The way Rins cranked out the fast laps one after the other after taking the lead was mind blowing. Seeing the bike behave in such a neutral state of drift, rear and front together, tells you what a well working machine they’ve got dialed in there.

Also was curious watching the differing lines of Rins and Mir for times they were together and where one gained on the other. Another good sign that bike can go fast I’m more than one way.

Haven’t got around to the other categories yet. Good result. Agree not as exiting persee but it was a reflection of years of hard work and could really see that coming through the TV. Well done.