MotoGP Rnd 10 Gran Premio Michelin® de Aragón

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
MiniNinjaMk5

MotoGP Rnd 10 Gran Premio Michelin® de Aragón

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

So with the king of Aragon not taking part this one open for the taking.

Last year Marquez won ahead of the Dukes of Dovi and Miller with the Yamahas close behind.

Went to the track a few years ago and the kindest thing you can say about that area is it looks like a nuclear blasted wasteland, it is just so dry (you can see why they used to make the Western movies there). So I'm gonna say rain is probably unlikely, although 2020 so who knows! It will probably snow.

FP1 Vinales put in a quick lap, Quartararo had a bit of a fast one and limped away but I believe is OK.
A lot of riders sheltering in the pits as even with the delayed start (the track was apparently 8 degrees) still cold.

CLX

Re: MotoGP Rnd 10 Gran Premio Michelin® de Aragón

Post by CLX »

I expect a Barcelona repeat. Despite the long straight, most of the circuit suits the Yamaha perfectly. Hopefully both Suzukis start further ahead than usual.

I’m confused by the KTMs and Ducatis and don’t really know what to expect from them.

Eyes out for Maverick. If he turns off LC and has a stinker of a first lap, will he blame himself?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Last year was an FP2 yamaha sweep for the top three as well. Only not to podium in the race.

Interesting where they made their time on ducatis was sector 1 and to some extent 3, several tenths or more, only for race the gap to have closed.

Part of this was yamaha not being as quick in those sectors during race. So a case of long sweeping corners with an ideal line that they could not use in the race. This year Ducati does have a bit steeper hill to climb but if can do same as before should be there come race day.

Curious was this year looked like a bit bigger gap in sector 3 than last, perhaps colder temps and a front tire in protest trying to keep the big duc online thru the tighter part of track.

Normally as things rubber in it helps the Yamahas but this might be a case of opposite as that front needs to bit to give Ducatis a chance to roll on the gas and not push wide.

The sweeping turns of sectors 1 / 3 here are followed by a corner in opposite direction so need to be able to apply gas while hold a tightening line. Not ducatis specialty. Would be great for Suzuki and Yamaha for quick laps but come race day if they don’t make a break they have a face full of red parked on their entry for the following turn and have to check up.

The real kicker is when the next thing after that is a long straight then their toast if don’t come off with a strong roll onto the straight.

All that to say it’s just practice, but expecting Yamaha to qualify well and Ducati not to, only to invert in race.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Track temperature doesn't explain why in 2019 it was Yamaha 1,2,3 in FP2 but not in the race;
Track temperature;
FP2 - 38deg
Race - 32deg
For this year FP2 was 23deg
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Apical

Re: Maverick at Aragón

Post by Apical »

Don't think Maverick will repeat the launch control experiment at Aragón. He tried it once in the race & it didn't work. So now he should know there is nothing to gain and much to loose.

Ducati also an enigma. I can tell you what I'd like to see; Dovizioso win and keep us guessing where the championship is going. A.D.04 is the duck rider closest to the top of the championship.
Pecco is probably more likely to be first Ducati on recent form. Petrucci should be confident, Jack Miller may have depleted his bad luck. Even Zarco might do OK if he doesn't get involved in any problems.

Unpredictable after day one.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

CLX wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:10 pm
Eyes out for Maverick. If he turns off LC and has a stinker of a first lap, will he blame himself?
Why would he turn off launch control? That's a genuine question. Their launch control must be poor if he turns it off.

But I thought that MV loses places not just at the beginning, but in the first few laps if not the first whole chunk of the race.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I read somewhere that he'd done a practice start next to Pedrosa on a KTM without it and wee Dan's start was miles better. He thinks that if you can get it right without it your start will be much better than with it.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

After FP3 it appears that every single bike on the grid is working at this track, except for the Ducatis. My prediction: Dovi won't get out of Q1, and will lose major ground in the championship in the race.
Schwantz34 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:31 pm
I read somewhere that he'd done a practice start next to Pedrosa on a KTM without it and wee Dan's start was miles better. He thinks that if you can get it right without it your start will be much better than with it.
Thanks. That might explain why he usually loses places at the start, but occasionally has a good one.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:12 am
Track temperature doesn't explain why in 2019 it was Yamaha 1,2,3 in FP2 but not in the race;
Was looking at that for why the gap for Ducati could be greater this year btwn last. Not last year FP to race.

What I saw was they lost more time now in sectors where the front has to work for them. Same sectors they struggled with before just greater now.

The Ducati needs a planted front to turn. Current conditions are offering neither. More grip could mask this. Less perhaps exacerbate it more.

Speaking of Dani reminded me with this cold now the entire grid gets to experience what it was like for him not be able to get heat in the tires

CLX

Post by CLX »

Dovi got miffed.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

For me the most important story from qualifying was Quartararo falling off in FP3 or FP4 (?) and still being OK. That could have been his championship challenge failing right there.

I'm expecting a FQ win tomorrow, and that could easily be the start of him cementing a championship. Mir and Miller are there or thereabouts, but FQ is quicker and Dovi is way back.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Yeh Dovi on row 4 while his championship competitors are on the first 2 rows

Miller shows again that he's good at qualifying

Vinales off the front from the start or gets swamped?

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

None of the Ducati’s look like they cam mount a challenge
Dovi can’t afford to let the gap to the championship lead get bigger especially at a track where last year they were strong because of the power of the duke
I think whoever picks the right tyres for the race will win. So maybe another new winner
Although if quatararo is fit enough I think he will win again

CLX

Post by CLX »

This has been surprising and awesome so far.

-----

CLX

Post by CLX »

Maverick did nail the start.

What a race. Wow. Everyone attacking all the time. No BS, just go after it.

-----

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Alex Marquez is my rider of the day.

One thing: People were saying before that Honda had put all their eggs in the Marc Marquez basket, and if Marc left they would be in the doldrums for a long time. It looks as if their recovery could be shorter than previously predicted.

I wonder how, if Marc returns this year, a match-fit Alex will do against a recovering Marc.

Mir may be 'only' third, but this is still exactly what he needs to do to win the championship.

hdot

Post by hdot »

Has anyone ever won a championship without winning a race? If Mir can stay on the podium while the top spot keeps getting a new rider he should be good to go.

That race was amazing and Alex Marquez deserves his respect. Nakagami hung in there too. Maybe the Honda isn't a complete turd after all. Or at the minimum Marc's absence forced them to develop in a more rideable direction.

GraPie

Post by GraPie »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:22 am

Vinales off the front from the start or gets swamped?
Another race, another mystery from Maverick.

This time he gets a great start, starts to get away, then fades.

Usually, he gets a crappy starts, then goes strong at the end.

I just don’t get it.

Huge Kudos to AMarquez!!
I think he might have beaten Rins if he had not gotten that rear while twitch in the last corner with two laps left.

CLX

Post by CLX »

That twitch had me jumping out of my chair.

-----

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow what a race.

Super performance by Rins, he really had some pressure on him those last few laps and Marquez would have won if he had made a mistake.

And A. Marquez - wow. Has now proven beyond any doubt that he deserves that seat. Great work by Honda too, they've saved what could have been the biggest disaster year in their GP history and turned it into something positive - the fact all Hondas towards the front shows the bike has definitely moved in a good direction (maybe in some ways Marc not being there has helped them to engineer their way out of a problem?)

Great ride by Mir too - thoroughly deserves the WC lead and if I were a betting man is where my 50p would go for this year.

Really felt for Quartararo - haven't yet read what happened to him. Was it injuries from the two offs on Saturday or bike issues?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:37 am
Really felt for Quartararo - haven't yet read what happened to him. Was it injuries from the two offs on Saturday or bike issues?
Runaway tyre pressure I've read. Don't know exactly what that means

SP_won

Post by SP_won »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:26 pm
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:37 am
Runaway tyre pressure I've read. Don't know exactly what that means
The Race podcast said because they ran the medium front with no data from practice they guessed the start pressure a bit too high and after a few laps front was hard as a rock due to pressure increase. Steve Patterson reckoned Fabio did well to just stay on the bike and finish.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Ah that's interesting to know.

That was such a big gamble (especially when your main rivals have all taken the other route). I'm guessing he will probably go soft this weekend!