Round 8, 2020 season, Barcelona baby

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
CLX

Round 8, 2020 season, Barcelona baby

Post by CLX »

It snuck up on us.

The top 4 were top 4 in FP1.

I half expect them to break away in the points standings.

Let’s go!

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

CLX

Re: Round 8, 2020 season, Barcelona baby

Post by CLX »

That did not last long. Everything is different after FP2.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

It's good that I didn't see FP1 times come up, as all my discussion would have been disproved by FP2.

Quite a few of the championship leaders are way down the list. Dovi in 18th. Quartararo in 14th. Miller better in 11th. And Mir - 6th. About where he always is. Dovi is behind Bradder on the Aprilia.

Morbidelli, Zarco, and Binder at the top.

Roll on FP3 and the combined times, which are the first times that really mean something.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Track temperature was 18deg in FP1 but had warmed up for FP2 being 34deg and it looks like most of the riders chose to do the hot lap in FP2, the notable exceptions being Dovi, Quartararo and Petrucci
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Miller, Bagnaia, Dovi, Rins, Nakagami, Crutchlow will be doing Q1. Going to be interesting. I'm assuming that Crutchlow will struggle with his injuries

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:13 pm
Miller, Bagnaia, Dovi, Rins, Nakagami, Crutchlow will be doing Q1. Going to be interesting. I'm assuming that Crutchlow will struggle with his injuries
I've just seen a picture of Crutchlow's ankle. :shock: :o :o :o

CLX

Post by CLX »

The grid makes up for many possibilities.

I’m half expecting Morbidelli do run away with it like he did at Misano and throw himself in the top 4 as Dovi drifts back.

-----

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Once again Miller is the top non-Yamaha. It won't be much good, however, if he fades before the end.

The 4 Yamahas all in the top 5.

If Mir is going to have good race pace again, he's definitely positioned to take advantage of it.

hdot

Post by hdot »

Didn't look but I think Mir is starting one row ahead from Misano 1. I don't think Zarco/Pol will hold him up too long. But the Yamaha boys are coming to play. My gut says Rossi will fade and Maverick might get flustered. Fabio is a wild card. If Frankie's tummy holds up I think it will be him, Mir and whatever 3rd Yamaha rider puts it together on the podium.

Where the FUCK is Bagnaia?!?!?!?!?! Is his leg bothering him? This season is out of control.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I'd say that the Ducati has been difficult to master for qualifying, Dovi is on the second to last row and hence Bagnaia has failed to master it like Dovi. Miller on the other hand hasn't done that well in free practice but has pulled the rabbit out of the hat for qualifying - fastest in Q1, 4th in Q2.

Does Zarco tend to do well at tracks that Yamaha does well at?

Will Nakagami be the fastest Honda at every race this year

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

hdot wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:03 pm
Didn't look but I think Mir is starting one row ahead from Misano 1. I don't think Zarco/Pol will hold him up too long. But the Yamaha boys are coming to play. My gut says Rossi will fade and Maverick might get flustered. Fabio is a wild card. If Frankie's tummy holds up I think it will be him, Mir and whatever 3rd Yamaha rider puts it together on the podium.

Where the FUCK is Bagnaia?!?!?!?!?! Is his leg bothering him? This season is out of control.
If FP4 is anything to go by, it looks like Pol has the best pace followed by Vinales, Rossi then Mir...

CLX

Post by CLX »

Do the Yamahas have holeshot devices? It would be very interesting if people on other bikes had great starts.

Edit: apparently they do.

-----

mastercraftx1

Post by mastercraftx1 »

Yes Yamaha has a holeshot device. There was quite a bit of news about it during the February tests.

Not sure about Zarco always doing well when yamahas do. The last couple weeks at Misano he was pretty far back, now this week he's had some good hot laps. Looks like his race pace isn't bad.

Looking like the the soft tire might be the choice for a lot of riders. If so the last 5-8 laps will be interesting.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Could it be Zarco does better with more sweeping corners?

-----

mastercraftx1

Post by mastercraftx1 »

Just watched the warm-up. In for a very interesting race. Cooler temps. Expect almost everyone to be on the soft tires. Think they'll be lots of crashes and quite a drop off in lap times late in the race. Mir has been a master of tire conservation lately in races so today might be his day. Seems like about 10 different guys could win this race.

Announcers were talking about the long run to the first corner and saying they wouldn't be surprised if Ducati has 2 or 3 riders in front by the first corner. Also some talk about Zarco possibly using the medium rear, if he could make it work and not lose too much ground in the early laps then it might be worth the gamble. He's not really in championship battle and with the factory seat on the line who knows. If anyone could make the medium work, it could be like Argentina 2015 when Rossi was the only one to make the hard tire work.

Speaking of Rossi he put his 5th engine into the mix this weekend! Would be great to see him in the mix for the podium.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

That virtual fan wall looks odd. Are they pre-recorded, or can someone do something like moon the camera?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Great race by Quaratararo. It's back to the start of the year.

That 2nd place by Mir looks promising over the year.

I don't think Dovi is going to be leading the championship again this year.

Vinales once again fast at the end of the race and manages to get back to 9th.

hdot

Post by hdot »

Race went about as I expected. Good to see Quart back on top. I agree that Dovi's championship is over. Kind of bummed for Rossi.

mastercraftx1

Post by mastercraftx1 »

Think the virtual fan wall is live.

Great race for Fabio and the late charge by the Suzukis was pretty special, but expected (at least from Mir). Sucks for Dovi, he had a great start and run to the first corner. Weird chain reaction that caused it all. Would have been great for Rossi to get the 200th podium in his 350th race, feel bad for him. Vinales terrible first lap again.

CLX

Post by CLX »

At first I thought Morbidelli let Quartararo through as part of his tyre management, I was wrong. Fabio nailed it, kudos.

-----

GraPie

Post by GraPie »

I just do not understand Maverick Vinales.

What happened out there today with him?

Anyway, I am really excited about Joan Mir. I love the guy. He is the whole package- as is Fabio Q. There isn’t much separating those two right now.
I hope neither one ends up at Ducati someday. 😎
Sorry to all my Ducati friends.
LOL

CLX

Post by CLX »

Is it possible Maverick’s holeshot device malfunctioned?

A poor start, unusual cold track conditions and a lack of grunt on the bike must have immediately thrown him into ‘just bring it home’ mode. Yamahas can’t overtake anyone except other Yamahas.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Maverick ends as the 3rd Yamaha once the season is over.

-----

hdot

Post by hdot »

Fabio's rear tire looked like it went through a blender. Woof

Nakagami had a low key decent race, not far behind the leaders and looking good fighting the Pramac boys at the end. Maybe there is hope for Honda after all

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow that was a big race for Quartararo. He has had some hard rides and momentum against him but he was patient, let the race come to him and took a good win. There has been a lot of criticism about whether he has what it takes following the two Jerez wins and I think he helped to answer that question.

Awesome ride by Mir too, those two look like they are the strongest bet at the moment (although TBH I can't tell what the hell is going on mostly) as Vinales seems to have inhereted Marco Melandri's old 'random number generator' with his results, although to an even greater extent! Do we know what happened to him, was it the cooler track temps?

So sorry for Rossi... thought he really had a chance there (and I think he knew it too).

Dovi, in some ways that crash put him out of his misery as I still think he is missing that element of getting the rear Michelin to work.
Fingernails wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:57 pm
That virtual fan wall looks odd. Are they pre-recorded, or can someone do something like moon the camera?
I assume they would have to be otherwise I think someone would do exactly that! :D

Somewhat better than the ones at the tennis (US Open) which looked like screaming souls that were stuck in hell, it was truly terrifying!

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Petrucci appears to touch the rear tyre of another bike, I think its a KTM. About 1m into the highlights video, had to watch it several times to see it.

https://youtu.be/mVqeLoNgGTw