MotoGP R8 20/9 Gran Premio TISSOT dell'Emilia Romagna e della Riviera di Rimini Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

MotoGP R8 20/9 Gran Premio TISSOT dell'Emilia Romagna e della Riviera di Rimini Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli

Post by Fingernails »

So, who will be on top this time? I don't know.

The obvious answer was that this is a Yamaha track and we'll get a repeat. But, this year has not been very predictable, and I wonder if teams that didn't feature will have a better setup this week. Unless conditions are different, at least we should see fewer bad tyre choices.

I'd guess however that KTM will still be about where they were. Now that I've predicted that, we're bound to see an all-KTM podium. :D

MiniNinjaMk5

Re: MotoGP R8 20/9 Gran Premio TISSOT dell'Emilia Romagna e della Riviera di Rimini Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncell

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Aprilia on the podium? ;)

Big question for me this weekend is how Qaurtararo bounces back from last weekend. He had the speed but needs to put it together in the race and stop the downhill momentum.

Also if the other Ducati riders have had a chance to look at the data of Bagnaia!

Otherwise I will predict Morbidelli repeats Misano 1, Rossi strong again, (hesitant to say Vinales as he seems to have problems with every race now).

Jagbruno

Re: MotoGP R8 20/9 Gran Premio TISSOT dell'Emilia Romagna e della Riviera di Rimini Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncell

Post by Jagbruno »

I’ll go on a limb here, my prediction for the race:

1 Qua
2 Mir
3 Bag
4 Rossi
5 Mor

:mrgreen:

Apical

Post by Apical »

Hoping Jack Miller & Dovi will have better results second time around

I thought Alex Rins was going to take a better result than 5th, that's racing.

Maverick ?? M.V.12 is an enigma, fast at times but so inconsistent. Most unpredictable rider in an unpredictable season. Maverick could win this Sunday, finish outside the points or crash. He could be on the podium or in the gravel. No idea. I doubt Mav will choose the hard rear tire for the next race .

Hoping for a bit more back and forth at the front & throughout the field. Franky M was in a class of his own last Sunday.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

To state the obvious we had 3 manufacturers on the podium last Sunday. Everyone from the same manufacturer are going to look at the data of the best performing rides of their make and use something similar in FP1 although that's probably already done in the test. Prediction? No idea apart from not being someone on a Honda, Aprilia or KTM unless there's a curve ball such as a significant different in track temperature or something
My signature isn't particularly interesting

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Other than the first 2 rounds the results have been impossible to predict. I give up. Even last year when Marquez was dominating you could still have a decent shot at guessing who would be on the podium with him. Strangely enough the only guys with 4 top 5 finishes so far are Mir and Rossi. I think one of them is in the top 5 this week, while the other just misses out.

I’m gonna have a stab
in order:
Fabio
Franco
Rins
Mav
Mir
Rossi

1 of those guys ends up in the gravel and Jack or Dovi take their place.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

KTM looking much better than last week. But, it's only FP2.

Bradl out. Honda are down to two riders now. When it rains, it pours.
p4p1 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:38 pm
The closer this championship gets, the more difference DNFs make.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

p4p1 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:38 pm
Other than the first 2 rounds the results have been impossible to predict. I give up. Even last year when Marquez was dominating you could still have a decent shot at guessing who would be on the podium with him. Strangely enough the only guys with 4 top 5 finishes so far are Mir and Rossi. I think one of them is in the top 5 this week, while the other just misses out.

I’m gonna have a stab
in order:
Fabio
Franco
Rins
Mav
Mir
Rossi

All six inline 4 riders. You might be right and I commend you for taking an educated guess. Apart from their being a lot of inline 4 riders at the pointy end, I can't guess the outcome this time.

Is Bradl out?

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Pecco just smashed Mavericks lap record in fp3. I wasn’t sure how his leg would hold up racing two weekends in a row which is why I didn’t pick him on the podium but he’s looking pretty decent so far.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Didn't someone tell Bagnaia that your only allowed to be at the top of the time sheets at this circuit if your riding an inline 4 :lol: Bagnaia is 0.5 faster than the next V4 (Binder from FP2)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:19 am
Didn't someone tell Bagnaia that your only allowed to be at the top of the time sheets at this circuit if your riding an inline 4 :lol: Bagnaia is 0.5 faster than the next V4 (Binder from FP2)
He also needs to be told to stay off the green!

Now we need to start thinking about where Vinales will be at the end of the first lap in the race.

KTMs much better than last week.

CLX

Post by CLX »

My gut is telling me Quartararo will get it back on track. Mir will go into damage limitation and finish 5th.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

hdot

Post by hdot »

I hope Mav runs a soft tire at one or the other end and runs away with it. Pref the rear. Tire choice was his only mistake last week

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Yeh Bagnaia's disallowed lap was 1'30.973 compared with Vinales pol time of 1'31.077 so if he had kept it in he would of probably been on pol but perhaps less than the 0.1 difference

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MotoE spoiler.

That time when you're leading a race, and 2nd and 3rd places take each other out.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

if that’s not enough to call BS on the track limits penalties I don’t know what is..

CLX

Post by CLX »

On the contrary, it validated Pol’s deffensive riding on shot tyres and shows limits are worth enforcing. Nobody else had problems.

Mir has to be perfect just to sniff the podium. Riders are lucky the Suzuki is not a great bike in qualifying.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

kenup283 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:56 pm
if that’s not enough to call BS on the track limits penalties I don’t know what is..
It was for multiple time’s. At least that’s what I’ve been lead to believe. When they replaced grass and gravel with bitumen they also took away the risks associated with going off track. They have to stop riders taking advantage of safety features. It’s a black and white rule and it has to be. It’s not fair to say he probably didn’t gain any real advantage for the times he barely left the track because who’s to say really? If it’s arbitrary then where’s the line of what constitutes an advantage In a sport that can be decided by 100ths of a second. If you say that the riders are ok if they only run on this section that isn’t part of the track then every rider will use up every available amount of space in that section. Then someone complains that they only just exceeded the allowable part so it’s not fair etc. Once the punishment is worse than the benefit the riders will be sure to stay within the boundaries.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

kenup283 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:56 pm
I disagree with this... it's the same for all riders and there has to be a limit somewhere. It used to be that they'd be buried in the gravel, I would rather them have the 'safety' of them having the run off, but there needs to be boundaries.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Shout out for how excellent Mir is riding... he was a phenomenon in Moto3, started to show real promise in Moto2 and now in MotoGP he looks so good. What impresses me the most is that everything seems calculated, he isn't scared of making a tough pass on anyone but they always seem fair and solid. Really looking forward to his progression.

GraPie

Post by GraPie »

Tourn46 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:24 pm
Shout out for how excellent Mir is riding... he was a phenomenon in Moto3, started to show real promise in Moto2 and now in MotoGP he looks so good. What impresses me the most is that everything seems calculated, he isn't scared of making a tough pass on anyone but they always seem fair and solid. Really looking forward to his progression.
I will second your motion on Mir.
The kid is a great rider and is so classy.
I really like him.

I was sure glad to see my boy Vinales finally put it all together though. Not many guys, if any, are as solid as Vinales in the last 10 laps of a race. It was sad to see Pecco crash out of the lead but I really believe Mav would have caught him in those last 10 laps anyway.

Finally, how in the hell is Dovi still leading this championship?

One First place and pretty much nowhere in most of the others.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

GraPie wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:59 pm
Finally, how in the hell is Dovi still leading this championship?
Not falling off.

CLX

Post by CLX »

At this point he has to be the undersog despite the lead

-----

hdot

Post by hdot »

hdot wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:36 pm
I hope Mav runs a soft tire at one or the other end and runs away with it. Pref the rear. Tire choice was his only mistake last week
Lol. M/M from M/H.... close enough. He looked great out there. Echoing the positive sentiments for Mir. If he/Suzuki can figure out how to eek out a few tenths in qualifying it's over.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

This is the first time I recall someone not finishing due to a tear-off;
- Miller had a tear-off in the air intake
- Bagnaia suspects he hit a tear-off when he crashed. Just a guess on his part. Wouldn't surprise if it's not the first time but probably almost impossible to know.

Quartararo's long lap penalty. If he had got to do the long lap would he have held 3rd (aka Zarco) or not? I didn't see what the long lap penalty was on this track