Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
hdot

Dovi done with Ducati after 2020

Post by hdot »

SP_won

Re: Dovi done with Ducati after 2020

Post by SP_won »

Good on him for calling their bluff.
I wonder who they will sign to partner Jack? Not quite sure if Pecco is there just yet. Zarco? I don’t know either.
It’s hard for me to see the Lorenzo talk as anything other than a media beat up but I suppose he does have time to get back in shape before next season.
They say they want a potential championship winner and chase away the rider who has beaten every other rider in the paddock bar Marquez three years running. He has also beaten Marq in straight up battles several times.
Will be interesting to see who they end up with, especially now they are crying poor.
Careful what you wish for Gigi.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I even read on Twitter that CS27 is putting the boot in to Ducati as well. Sad for Dovi, he seems a real gentleman :(

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

On the coverage today there was an interview with a Ducati team bigwig, but I forget who. It wasn't Gigi if I remember correctly. When asked who would be in the Ducati factory team, he kept on saying that their priorities were Petrucci and Zarco. He sad that they would be on Ducatis, but they couldn't say in which teams they would be in. From this I get the impression that Zarco is a candidate for a factory team seat. Which I guess would annoy Miller if it happened.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Fingernails wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:06 pm
On the coverage today there was an interview with a Ducati team bigwig, but I forget who. It wasn't Gigi if I remember correctly. When asked who would be in the Ducati factory team, he kept on saying that their priorities were Petrucci and Zarco. He sad that they would be on Ducatis, but they couldn't say in which teams they would be in. From this I get the impression that Zarco is a candidate for a factory team seat. Which I guess would annoy Miller if it happened.
Why would it annoy Miller?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Tourn46 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:23 pm
If he gets passed over for the factory seat in favour of Zarco, I don't think Miller would be pleased.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

A thought is that there are no factory seats available now, but when Ducati buy someone out, there will be a top-level vacancy (unless Zarco gets it)

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Isn't Petrucci contracted to KTM next year?
My signature isn't particularly interesting

hdot

Post by hdot »

Fingernails wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:38 pm
Tourn46 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:23 pm
If he gets passed over for the factory seat in favour of Zarco, I don't think Miller would be pleased.
Miller to Ducati Corse is a done deal

Regarding Dovi.......... I have no love or admiration for Ducati Corse; the only thing stopping them from being the worst managed factory on the grid is HRC. Ducati lost Stoner and Lorenzo, but HRC ended their careers. However there are 2 big reasons why I think Ducati stumbled into the right decision.

1- Dovi is old- Yea he has been runner up the last 3 years, but IIRC the gap has been increasing. With KTM's arrival and the current rookie class getting their footing, I think 2020 is a changing of the guard. Dovi has been instrumental in developing the Duc, and he has been rewarded handsomely, both on and off the bike. But at 34 or however old he is I don't see the logic in continuing to build the bike around him. It's kind of similar to Rossi's situation, without Rossi's galactic star & branding power.

2- The era of the "perfect bike" is over- Dovi's biggest gripe has been that development hasn't gone his way. He needs the Duc to turn better. Thing is, Marquez has been decimating on the total POS Honda. I'm convinced if you put a 300HP lump with TC in my ER6 Marc could bag a championship on it. Binder won his 3rd MotoGP race. Fabio had a phenom rookie year and has been winning on a Yamaha he has no input in. He's doing better than Maverick, who still talks about how well "the bike is working".

Obviously a better bike will make winning easier, and top riders should lead development, but at some point you just have to shut up and work with what you've got. I think Dovi was too publicly critical of the Duc and too dependent on the hopes and dreams of "development".

Don't get me wrong. Dovi is one of my favorite riders on the grid, and if he doesn't snag a seat next year I will miss him, But even a broken clock can be right sometimes, and while the whole Duc operation is kind of a mess Gigi is no dummy. I think a new rider lineup for Ducati is in order. I might be speaking prematurely but I can def see Bagnaia being the ingredient to get Ducati to that next step of competitiveness. Hopefully Dovi goes to Aprilia and the Aprilia is good. But I can't knock Ducati here. They have to keep moving forward.

herbs

Post by herbs »

Ducati haven't built the bike around Dovi, that's a big part of the issue, they're not listening to his input.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

hdot wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:14 am
I might be speaking prematurely but I can def see Bagnaia being the ingredient to get Ducati to that next step of competitiveness.
I would like to see Bagnaia get a shot on the factory bike, he started the year great until his injury. I guess it's likely to be between him and Zarco... Pecco is only 23, Zarco is 30... I think this is the year where we are seeing a bit of a reset of old Vs new.

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

Tourn46 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:28 am
Pecco is only 23, Zarco is 30... I think this is the year where we are seeing a bit of a reset of old Vs new.
I agree about the changing of the guard, but I think Johann can still earn himself a Pramac seat if he rides well. If he rides VERY well they could consider bumping him to the big seat. I cannot imagine Ducati wanting to risk having their first championship in over a decade go to the satellite-ish team, but actually I reckon Jackass is easily a match for Zarco.

Where to for Dovi though?! I can't imagine he would settle for less than a factory ride, and barring injury there's only Aprilia. Stealing Iannone's seat would be a little fun.

The script writers on this soap opera sure have been pushing the boundaries of believability the last couple of years!

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Antipodean wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:43 am
I agree about the changing of the guard, but I think Johann can still earn himself a Pramac seat if he rides well. If he rides VERY well they could consider bumping him to the big seat. I cannot imagine Ducati wanting to risk having their first championship in over a decade go to the satellite-ish team, but actually I reckon Jackass is easily a match for Zarco.

Where to for Dovi though?! I can't imagine he would settle for less than a factory ride, and barring injury there's only Aprilia. Stealing Iannone's seat would be a little fun.

The script writers on this soap opera sure have been pushing the boundaries of believability the last couple of years!
It's hard to say how impressive what Zarco is doing, as we don't know how good the 2019 bike is versus the 2020 bike. But, Ducati themselves will have a better idea and it could be that Zarco is a revelation for them. FQ, and MM before him, is showing that someone doesn't need to be experienced in MotoGP in order to be a serious contender for the championship.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

In the interview today dovis manager says money hadn’t even been discussed yet
However given the current financial uncertainty I can’t imagine anything other than money is behind Ducati’s thinking
Rider wage bill must be high with 5 riders in MotoGP on the books plus 2 in world sbk
Maybe letting Dovi go frees up enough cash to keep 5 riders and one will be from moto2 moving up into the avintia seat

I know previously Marlborough money was used but not sure if the amount from them has dropped

CLX

Post by CLX »

I get it from both sides, but it’s still a little sad.

I hope Ducati treat Dovi like a hero on the way out.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

I assume he will be looking through the fishing catalogues, there's nowhere for him to go.

I think he's the unlucky casualty of the changing of the guard, so many less career-ending injuries, so much better fitness means that a layer of "ordinary" MotoGP riders can fill up the seats as known quantities keeping new talent out. At some point the tidal wave of new blood will force the change. This could be it.

Elton

Post by Elton »

Has to be Bagnaia. He'll win races next year and probably becthe best Duc rider IMO.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

I’m looking at it like this. In 2020 the stars MAY align for Dovi to win the championship. The biggest star aligning being Marquez’s injury. He’s in his mid 30s and won’t improve, he’s proven that he can’t beat Marquez in a championship and each year since 2017 his gap to Marquez has got bigger.

I would also consider that Dovi’s biggest strength has been his tyre management/slowing the race down. But as Michelin’s rear improve it would seem that guys can run at a faster speed for longer. If that’s the case then it would make sense that Dovi’s results start declining. This weekend was a great way to give the finger to Ducati by winning but there’s also some other considerations IMO. Both Miller and Pol didn’t have the tyres they would have preferred to use left in their allocation, if not for the crash, I’m not sure that Dovi wins. If both those guys have tyres left in their allocation maybe one of them takes the W. The race was on the 2019 spec tyre, that could’ve been a factor leading to Dovi being able to slow the race down for a few laps. Obviously to finish first, first you must finish but how much did the shoulder injury play a part when Rins came off?

I can’t remember Dovi ever having a dominant dry victory, where he took off and no one was able to get close to him. He’s never been able to rely on outright speed to win. It might seem harsh to move Dovi on after all he has done for and at Ducati but if I was Ducati management I would be looking to the future as they seem to be.

herbs

Post by herbs »

Dovi smashed everyone at misano 2018, when Lorenzo binned it on the last lap 3 seconds or so behind Dovi. That's one straight off the top of my head

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

herbs wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:09 am
Dovi smashed everyone at misano 2018, when Lorenzo binned it on the last lap 3 seconds or so behind Dovi. That's one straight off the top of my head
Wasn’t that a wet race?

Apical

Post by Apical »

p4p1 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:04 am
herbs wrote:
Wasn’t that a wet race?
MotoGp says "no" it is recorded as a dry race;

https://www.motogp.com/en/Results+Statistics

Looks like that link doesn't work it'll get you to results. then change the year to 2018, round 13, Misano. It has the longest name....
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Apical wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:30 pm
p4p1 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:04 am
herbs wrote:
Wasn’t that a wet race?
MotoGp says "no" it is recorded as a dry race;

https://www.motogp.com/en/Results+Statistics

Looks like that link doesn't work it'll get you to results. then change the year to 2018, round 13, Misano. It has the longest name....
I was thinking of Misano 2017 when Lorenzo binned it in the wet. My mistake, yes he was excellent that day. But my general point still stands I believe. I think Dovi’s race craft is incredible, his pass on MM in the wet in Japan in 2017 (I Think) is one of the greatest passes I’ve seen. Sure it was only possible because MM made a mistake but it looked like Dovi came from half way done the straight (Exaggeration) to outbrake him.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I have to say that that win for Dovi was one of the most satisfying I have seen in a while.

I think as far as Ducati are concerned they really need to get their personnel management sorted out. Rossi, Lorenzo, now Dovi (even Stoner didn't leave on good terms, and especially concerning his comments about what has happened to Dovi now). It can't be everyone else!

I know a few people are hypothesising now about Ducati reversing the decision. I'm not sure, from what I have read about Dovi as a person, that he would go back to them now after how he has been treated. I think if you know you are not valued it is very difficult to stay in any job, even a desk job, let alone when you are asked to ride at 200mph and risk your life for someone.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:54 pm
I think as far as Ducati are concerned they really need to get their personnel management sorted out. Rossi, Lorenzo, now Dovi (even Stoner didn't leave on good terms, and especially concerning his comments about what has happened to Dovi now). It can't be everyone else!
The thing that makes me curious, is that I think Zarco is a rider who needs a team with good personnel management. Right now Zarco is perhaps lucky to have a ride and maybe he'll keep his head down and show what he can do. But, I wonder if there is the potential for the Ducati/Zarco relationship to go bad.

How much of Crutchlow's issues with the team were due to simply not getting on with the bike? And how much with the team. As Crutchlow really seems to be a get on and do it kind of person.

hdot

Post by hdot »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:54 pm
I have to say that that win for Dovi was one of the most satisfying I have seen in a while.

I know a few people are hypothesising now about Ducati reversing the decision. I'm not sure, from what I have read about Dovi as a person, that he would go back to them now after how he has been treated. I think if you know you are not valued it is very difficult to stay in any job, even a desk job, let alone when you are asked to ride at 200mph and risk your life for someone.
Plus you have to think, 1, a tiger can't change its stripes.... Ducati is gonna Ducati

And if they are this wishy washy now, when will they ever be fully committed?

Then again we are basically in the era of the rider having to make all the difference. Picking a factory comes down to where you will have to deal with the least bullshit as the bikes are all pretty much the same. But Ducati ain't it