MotoGP R5 16-08-20 Grand Prix von Österreich

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Antipodean

MotoGP R5 16-08-20 Grand Prix von Österreich

Post by Antipodean »

Well, well... haven't had one of these in a while. THAT will be a test for the rookies and (presumably) favour the old war horses:

Fingernails

Re: MotoGP R5 16-08-20 Grand Prix von Österreich

Post by Fingernails »

It used to be the case that in the rain the smaller teams may have a shot at a good result as they can take a risk which might just pay off, while the title contenders really had to take the safer option. If it rains, perhaps A.Espargaro or Bradders could take a huge risk that pays off, and then we have all the manufacturers having won at least one race each.

(Not that serious :) )

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Add Miller to that mix. Having seen Zarco do that long lap in the dirty part of the track...

Win it or bin it, who's your picks for crashing in the wet?
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:06 am
Damp squibs: Iker Lecuona (let's face it wet or dry, odds are good for me on this one), Alex Marquez (that Honda in the wet for the first time), Cal (because Cal - even though as a Brit he should be well used to rainy day riding), Pol (pushing too hard with something to prove)

Lucky ducks: Dovi, Aleix, Miller? (actually bit of a mixed history in wet races from memory), Rins, Petrucci

Surprise Middle of the pack: Vinales, Quartararo, Binder, Oliveira

Same as always: Tito, Bradl

No idea: Rossi, Morbidelli, Mir, Taka,

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:06 am
Add Miller to that mix. Having seen Zarco do that long lap in the dirty part of the track...

Having had a DNF while his team-mate had a historic win, I agree with @Antipodean that I can see Pol becoming 'too enthusiastic' to show what he can do.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow I can't remember when was the last wet race?

As others have said - Rins, Petrucci, Rossi, Miller? Usually you would have said Dovi, but for his current struggles and ongoings.

Has FQ had much wet track experience? (trying to think back to wet races last year..)

CLX

Post by CLX »

Go Rossi?

I have no idea what to expect from a wet race.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

motor

Post by motor »

CLX wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:50 pm
Go Rossi?
As bloody nice as that eventuality would be...IMHO it's Miller time
Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Could see a gang of Yamahas make an unexpected bounce back here. They stacked up in good standing last year despite being behind Marq and Dovi.

How KTM fits into there will be interesting. Binder had an absolutely awesome race in Moto2 here a year ago. Starting him on a roll he’s continued into MotoGP.

Olivera another one who could get his name up there and ran good here last year.

Don’t mean to leave out Pol, just, let’s say agree he may find himself no longer the main attraction now and how he deals with that will have a lot to do with how he gets on.

This is make or break for Ducati now. For a while we used to see them as standing out in wet conditions, if that is still the case I’m unsure.

Miller has had some memorable rides in wet. Will have an eye him.

Really interested to see Nakagami and what he can do. He is riding well and laying in wait to break out.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

FP1 isn't telling us a lot except that its dry and track temp is low
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

That was mad at the end of Moto3 FP1 - Just raining at the end of the 2nd right-hander, dry everywhere else, so everyone just went shooting off the end of the track (fortunately there was enough runoff).

MotoGP FP2 a bit of a waste of time, the cameramen did their best to find local wildlife flying around and some spectacular shots of cloud formations. What it does mean though is if FP3 is wet tomorrow (which most think it will be) we already have out Q2 group
kenup283 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:39 am
Could see a gang of Yamahas make an unexpected bounce back here. They stacked up in good standing last year despite being behind Marq and Dovi.
A few of the journos are predicting trouble for Yamaha after FP1 - Vinales saying no edge grip again, even FQ saying it is going to be a damage limitation weekend. I think they will probably be hoping for rain!

CLX

Post by CLX »

Are they back to 2019 tyres?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Yeah after FP1 looks grim for Yamahas. I guess from public apology to podium lockout would be too bizarre even by 2020 standards.

If they can get and keep some rubber on the ground might turn around for them or maybe next weekend. Until then glad to see and going to enjoy KTM. Great moment for them. Happy to let them steal the headlines :)

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

CLX wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:43 pm
Yes, they return to the special construction tyres used last year in Austria and Thailand. Good timing for Dovizioso.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I was busy and only saw FP1 and FP2 times at the same time.

It showed me that I should probably wait for combined times after FP3 for something that is a bit more meaningful.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Antipodean wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:26 pm
CLX wrote:
Yes, they return to the special construction tyres used last year in Austria and Thailand. Good timing for Dovizioso.
I must have missed that.Good to know. If you have any links or more background on it feel free to share. I’ll do same if I find any. Wondering if a one off or not and what prompted the change.

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

kenup283 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:13 pm
I must have missed that.Good to know. If you have any links or more background on it feel free to share. I’ll do same if I find any. Wondering if a one off or not and what prompted the change.
I think they mentioned it on the Paddock Podcast? I tired to find something official fromom Michelin, but couldn't. This article refers to a press release from them though:

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/mo ... bull-ring/

SP_won

Post by SP_won »

kenup283 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:13 pm
Antipodean wrote:
CLX wrote:
During FP2 (I think) Crafar talked to Taramasso who said that the 2020 rear tyre is new but strengthened to cope with the loads and heat generated on the long straight parts of the track as was the 2019 rear. This is true for the soft and medium options but the hard is still the same as used in 2019, ie. the one that Dovi/Duc prefer. Piero Taramasso reck

SP_won

Post by SP_won »

Aargh! Taramasso reckons that Dovi may try the hard rear.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Antipodean wrote:
CLX wrote:

Nice. Might make the seasom even more interesting.

-----

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Holy Crap that was scary :shock: :shock:

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Jesus Christ.
I’m so thankful no bikes involved or almost involved were a hundredth faster or slower because it could’ve led to more injuries or even death.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Not a bad a result, I’m glad it’s over.

I pick on Rossi here and there, but damn I have no words for today. I don’t know what it took him to go back out and if he had not returned he’d have my respect just the same.

Respect.

Weird day.

-----

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

CLX wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:07 pm
Not a bad a result, I’m glad it’s over.

I pick on Rossi here and there, but damn I have no words for today. I don’t know what it took him to go back out and if he had not returned he’d have my respect just the same.

Respect.

Weird day.
Same here. I’m not a fan but his ride to 5th might’ve been the most impressive of the day and his most impressive ride for some time, maybe if any ride since 2015. Sure, he needed a few guys to fall off in front of him to make top 5 but after coming that close only god know what and clearly being shaken up, I was impressed with his ability to get back on the bike and focus on the job at hand.

Pol threw it away because he can’t control his emotions and Vinales weird 2nd race could’ve been caused by how close he came to being involved in the accident but Rossi who was able to hold it together. Very impressive IMO.

hdot

Post by hdot »

I need a defibrillator

So thankful everyone SURVIVED. This close racing is a double edged sword. There was so much going on I had to take notes.

https://i.imgur.com/mJSGJcs.jpg

To add I think Vinales bike had technical problems in the second race