MotoGP R5 16-08-20 Grand Prix von Österreich

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
motor

Re: MotoGP R5 16-08-20 Grand Prix von Österreich

Post by motor »

Fuck what a race...that was a right cunting mess in between. Was a little saddened by the subdued celebrations in the Ducati pits. Rossi's face in the pits was that of a really flustered person if there ever was one. Insane shit. A weak-kneed dumbfuck like me would have jumped the fence and hitched a cab to the bloody airport right then, the restarting race be damned
Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day

CLX

Post by CLX »

I think Maverick had clutch problems after the restart.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

mastercraftx1

Post by mastercraftx1 »

Think you're right. Stoner said he thought he heard Vinales' clutch was slipping from the onboard camera.

So many talking points for MotoGP. Flipped over to the F1 race after MotoGP. F1 races are so much less entertaining. Only the 3 drivers on the podium finished on the lead lap! MotoGP has had 4 races and 9 different riders on the podium, wouldn't be surprised if that number goes up next weekend.

Would love to hear Pol's take on that one. Seemed like he was blaming Olivera when he got up. How many times did he run wide?

CLX

Post by CLX »

F1 is living its 800cc days. Technically fantastic but at the cost of the worse racing and title battles im decades.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Marc must be rubbing his hands waiting to come back as the grid and leaders have so many ups and downs.

-----

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I thought it was very exciting when Can Oncu won that race in Moto3 a long time ago. But, up to today the Oncu brothers have been a bit anonymous, and way back in the pack. It was great to see see Deniz Oncu in the leading pack and leading quite a few laps. Even if he got shuffled back a bit at the end of the race, he's young, and has time to work on his race craft. It was a pity that the Moto3 finish was marred by all the penalties.

It's a relief that the crashes in both MotoGP and Moto2 didn't have extremely serious consequences. I don't know how Syahrin is, but that accident looked horrific. EDIT: I'm pleased to see him smiling in his, I presume, hospital bed. https://www.nst.com.my/sports/motor-spo ... ustrian-gp

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

That was bonkers... I'm not sure I have ever seen anything quite like that.

I'm not a religious person, but fack... someone was looking over Rossi and Vinales today. Kudos to both of them getting back out there for Race 2, that must have taken some real courage. I've had near misses on the road at normal speeds and they can plague your mind, let alone have 2 missiles just miss you at 200mph!

More than anything, whatever happened, happened... I'm am just thankful that all 4 (well... and 5 with Syharin in Moto2) are all still breathing and with us right now. That's as close as you can get to having a fatality/life changing accident, it was just that serious.

I am hesitant to blame anyone, but the view from Rin's onboard camera (and also well explained by Dovi), Zarco is wide, likely caused by the trajectory cutting from under FM21 through the kink. It didn't look right, but obviously no intent, etc.

I did see a tweet from Pedrosa complaining that Zarco was always at the centre of controversy... I'm not going to go down that path, but he does seem to be involved regularly :? I am not certain he did anything particularly wrong, but I'm not a professional motorcycle racer, maybe it was a bad decision?

Anyway... I kind of can't be bothered to type about the racing, I didn't want to watch it after that. I also kind of feel that I don't want these guys to be on that track again next weekend. I'm scared for them.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Fingernails wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:40 pm
I thought it was very exciting when Can Oncu won that race in Moto3 a long time ago.
I'm beginning to think your profile pictures are like the 'commentators curse'... you had Rossi, he stopped winning, you had Can Oncu, he never won again... now you have Nagashima and look what's happened to his season!

GraPie

Post by GraPie »

Someone- anyone- needs to talk to PolEsparago and tell him to calm the hell down.

There was what could have easily been a fatal accident out there today and he is in the garage having a nuclear meltdown.

I realize that, at first, he didn’t know the severity of the accident, but after seeing the replay, he needed to realize the situation, accept the circumstances, and move on.

Instead, he goes back out there, still hot-headed a half hour later, makes a series of mistakes, and ends up crashing out- taking Oliviera with him.
He needs counseling.

Thank God everyone is safe.

Dovi will be leading the championship this time next week.
😎

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Tourn46 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:44 pm
I'm beginning to think your profile pictures are like the 'commentators curse'... you had Rossi, he stopped winning, you had Can Oncu, he never won again... now you have Nagashima and look what's happened to his season!
I thought I answered this, but can't see my reply. ?????

In any case, I have been thinking the same thing. My first profile picture here was Ana Carrasco, and she didn't do too well in Moto3. After she quit Moto3 and I changed my profile picture, she started winning races and a championship in SuperSport 300.

Can Oncu is over in SuperSport, and he's still about 18, so plenty of time to develop.

I'm not superstitious, and hope that Nagashima will get back on the pace and continue his championship challenge. So I'll leave him there for a season.
GraPie wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:58 pm
Instead, he goes back out there, still hot-headed a half hour later, makes a series of mistakes, and ends up crashing out- taking Oliviera with him.
He needs counseling.
I haven't seen a clear view of the accident. The only view I've seen is from Pol's bike, which makes it look as if Miguel was already sliding out when he collided with Pol. However, from all reports, it was Pol's fault. So. Something must be different from what I see in the footage. Is there an overhead shot available somewhere?

https://youtu.be/-DqKne-5dw0
Last edited by Fingernails on Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Petition to change your avatar. Please.

-----

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

CLX wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:57 pm
To whom? Whom should I curse? :D

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

One thing to note - all the replays don't really show just how close Vinales was to being hit by a flying Ducati. There's a few pictures on Twitter floating about and it's easily as close if not closer than Rossi.

I don't want to witness anything like this again... :shock:

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Fingernails wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:15 pm
CLX wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:57 pm
Jonathan Rea... at least it might make WSBK worth watching :lol:

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Tourn46 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:22 pm
Jonathan Rea... at least it might make WSBK worth watching :lol:
OK. Done. :D :D :D

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Interesting race
Didn’t see pols crash but looking at how many times he was running wide I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the route cause
Miller still doesn’t look consistent enough to be a race winner yet maybe the full works team will help next year
The Suzuki looked very good if Rins could stay on maybe he would be in contention but not this year

Can’t see anyone different winning next week either

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

Fingernails wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:15 pm
Do you also do elections?

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

:o :shock: :? :shock:

Pheeeeew - that was a thing!

Agree with so much of what has been said here - Pol needs to take up meditation or something. Couldn't have been happier for Dovi. Felt like Binder and Quartararo both got lucky with that re-start. Vinales used all his luck up on dodging the couple hundred kilos of flying debris. Good job for Iker bringing it home in the top ten.

Did it seem like there was a higher amount of agro in the paddock this weekend than usually seen over the last few years? Perhaps just a coincidental combination of happenings, or maybe nerves are a little additionally frayed by the short season and global situation. All work and no play...?

herbs

Post by herbs »

Vmax666 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:56 pm
Interesting race
Didn’t see pols crash but looking at how many times he was running wide I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the route cause
Miller still doesn’t look consistent enough to be a race winner yet maybe the full works team will help next year
The Suzuki looked very good if Rins could stay on maybe he would be in contention but not this year

Can’t see anyone different winning next week either
Jack did 20 laps on a soft front tyre. That's commendable

Elton

Post by Elton »

A lot of people are having a go at Pol for being erratic, but really he's proven himself to be a consistent, safe rider over the years. The Brno accident wasn't his fault. The Austria accident he was perhaps more culpable for, not being careful enough when rejoining the track, but nobody will be kicking themselves more than he with Binder showing what the bike should be capable of.

Zarco does deserve some scrutiny though. It's not that he rides dangerously per se, but he just puts his bike in bad places, where it's more likely that a 'racing incident' could take place. When he passed Pol at Brno he didn't get far enough past at the late apex for Pol to be able to see he was there, he would have been better served to follow Pol and get the drive on him into turn 3. In Austria he Made a mistake by approaching the kink at too shallow an angle, which pushed him wide into Morbidelli's path. Again he wasn't careful enough. And his history is sprinkled with similar passes, I remember one in Moto2 with Sam Lowes distinctly.
Last edited by Elton on Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

herbs

Post by herbs »

People are having a go at Pol for carrying on like a spoilt child whose found nothing under the Christmas tree. His behaviour (and his brother) has been really childish.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Antipodean wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:49 am
Did it seem like there was a higher amount of agro in the paddock this weekend than usually seen over the last few years? Perhaps just a coincidental combination of happenings, or maybe nerves are a little additionally frayed by the short season and global situation. All work and no play...?
Worth noting that the Rossi/Marquez unpleasantness happened after a block of 3(?) flyaways back-to-back. Maybe having a week between races allows everyone to decompress a bit. Club racers have to go back to the day job between racers and stop thinking about it.

That was one hell of a scary accident. when bikes run away it always gets nasty. I've been involved in a much funnier one where a bike ran off, the pack moved to the other side, it then came round in a circle to the other side and the whole pack had to move back the other way. Was a bit like watching one man and his dog herding the pack.

The bottom line risk there is that debris will fly onto the circuit if it flies because the track is on the trajectory. You can't have a corner of that shape without that risk. Problem is that you end with nothing but ovals if that is an unacceptable risk. you could put a catch fence in the middle, but how high? how much run-off do take away from run-of-the-mill crashes?

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

I've never raced a motorbike but to me it looked like Zarco made the pass and drifted right across Morbidelli's line, obviously him braking to try and make turn 3 compounded the problem. I know some well respected racers have said that the gyroscopic effect meant that Zarco struggled to pull the bike left quick enough but I've seen plenty of similar passes on that stretch where nobody has drifted across like that.

The crashes yesterday were shocking, even although nobody was hurt badly seeing stuff like that gets some adrenaline pumping. Glad all ok

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Tourn46 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:21 pm
One thing to note - all the replays don't really show just how close Vinales was to being hit by a flying Ducati. There's a few pictures on Twitter floating about and it's easily as close if not closer than Rossi.

I don't want to witness anything like this again... :shock:
I’d say closer, the bike looks like it almost goes over his head. Both extremely lucky though.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Elton wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:26 am
A lot of people are having a go at Pol for being erratic, but really he's proven himself to be a consistent, safe rider over the years. The Brno accident wasn't his fault. The Austria accident he was perhaps more culpable for, not being careful enough when rejoining the track, but nobody will be kicking themselves more than he with Binder showing what the bike should be capable of.

Zarco does deserve some scrutiny though. It's not that he rides dangerously per se, but he just puts his bike in bad places, where it's more likely that a 'racing incident' could take place. When he passed Pol at Brno he didn't get far enough past at the late apex for Pol to be able to see he was there, he would have been better served to follow Pol and get the drive on him into turn 3. In Austria he Made a mistake by approaching the kink at too shallow an angle, which pushed him wide into Morbidelli's path. Again he wasn't careful enough. And his history is sprinkled with similar passes, I remember one in Moto2 with Sam Lowes distinctly.
Pol acted like a child even after watching the replays of how close others came to death or serious injury. Maybe an answer though is to have a special allocation allowance if the race is red flagged and restarted? That seemed to cost a few guys who had used up their allocation.

Brno was Pols fault, the exact same as this weekend was his fault. Both racing incidents but the blame is squarely on his shoulders.

Zarco deserves no scrutiny atm. He didn’t pass Pol in Brno, Pol ran wide, Zarco held his lines Pol came back to the racing line without looking. There’s an attempt to make a straw man argument because Pol was a beesdick in front when he rejoined the racing line. Austria is just a racing incident, Franco ran into the back of him. Is it any different from when Marquez and Rossi collided in Argentina? Rossi took a line that Marquez wasn’t expecting and Marc’s front tyre his Rossi’s rear. There is a huge speed differential between the two but the actions are essentially the same IMO.