MotoGP R4 0908 Monster Energy Grand Prix České republiky Automotodrom Brno CZECH

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class

bikermike

Re: MotoGP R4 0908 Monster Energy Grand Prix České republiky Automotodrom Brno CZECH

Post by bikermike »

Marquez replaced by Bradl

I actually think it shows the current system works. He pushed recovery hard to get out, gave it a go, had the confidence to say "it doesn't work" and stepped back.

Fingernails

Re: MotoGP R4 0908 Monster Energy Grand Prix České republiky Automotodrom Brno CZECH

Post by Fingernails »

I agree. It seemed madness to me when he went out in practice last race. But, he tried, it didn't work, and he drew back.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens this weekend. I already think FQ is the slight favourite for the title - but note the common opinion that it will be Dovi.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

I'm going to go with Vinales for the title... for no reason other than it doesn't seem to be the general consensus :lol:

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I'd like to see KTM fulfil their apparent potential this weekend. Not just in qualifying, but in the race as well.

CLX

Post by CLX »

I have always been a Honda fan, but now I’m happy to see what they can do without Marquez as a buffer. And I’m even happier to see how they will wiggle away from it in case it goes as bad as expected.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

CLX wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:39 pm
I have always been a Honda fan, but now I’m happy to see what they can do without Marquez as a buffer. And I’m even happier to see how they will wiggle away from it in case it goes as bad as expected.
I suspect Alberto will spin another fantastical yarn, perhaps he will even resort to a shaggy dog story.

"We've rearranged the deck chairs, refilled the champagne glasses, and the band sounds great. This is fine."

Thanks and Attribution to KC Green

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Marquez broke his titanium plate holding his bone together by opening a window.

But, reading the text, it seems that this was the straw that broke the camel's back after previous strain had been put on the plate.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/94113 ... ing-window

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Arrrgghhh! My BT Sport subscription has ended... need to go sort out the Videopass!! :cry:

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

FP1: Early days, but - 6 different manufacturers in the top 6 🖤

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Antipodean wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am
FP1: Early days, but - 6 different manufacturers in the top 6 🖤
Early days? You mean we can't start extrapolating and discuss Nakagami winning this race, every subsequent race, and the championship based on his FP1 position?

(This joke is aimed at myself as I've often made comments during free practice sessions which are immediately shown to be wrong the very next practice session.)

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Fingernails wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:47 pm

But, reading the text, it seems that this was the straw that broke the camel's back after previous strain had been put on the plate.

I found it interesting that Puig said that if they knew this could happen they wouldn’t have risked it. I assume that like myself and probably most of us that nobody realised that the plate could be weakened like it was.

atropos

Post by atropos »

p4p1 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:00 pm
Fingernails wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:47 pm

I found it interesting that Puig said that if they knew this could happen they wouldn’t have risked it. I assume that like myself and probably most of us that nobody realised that the plate could be weakened like it was.
It is not a frequent occurrence but it happens often enough that the orthopaedic surgeon who plated his arm would have known it was a possibility.

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

Fingernails wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:30 am
I've often made comments during free practice sessions which are immediately shown to be wrong the very next practice session.
Guilty as charged. Also... hailing as the next Messiah some rider who gets a lucky run at a wet race.

Still - very happy to have this much different machinery running that close together, even if it's only until race day.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Antipodean wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:02 pm
Fingernails wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:30 am
I've often made comments during free practice sessions which are immediately shown to be wrong the very next practice session.
Guilty as charged. Also... hailing as the next Messiah some rider who gets a lucky run at a wet race.

Still - very happy to have this much different machinery running that close together, even if it's only until race day.
We've now had two sessions with a KTM in third place. Looking forward to see if we can have one or more KTMs go straight through to Q2.

(Cue FP3 with no KTMs in the top 15.)

CLX

Post by CLX »

Speaking of overreactions, I’ll give up on Dovi is he has another weekend where he qualifies 10th, finishes 5th or so and never even looks a podium threat.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

Yes. Had high hopes for 04, but I don't know that he does. Physically he looks like he aged 5 years in-between seasons. While being a slow steady freight train might work over 20 races it's going to be tough in this shortened season. Having said that let's see how many riders get broken per round - he may still out-last the lot of them.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Vinales in 5th is the top factory team rider in FP2.

roogazza

Post by roogazza »

Antipodean wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:31 pm
Yes. Had high hopes for 04, but I don't know that he does. Physically he looks like he aged 5 years in-between seasons. While being a slow steady freight train might work over 20 races it's going to be tough in this shortened season. Having said that let's see how many riders get broken per round - he may still out-last the lot of them.
his best chance is this year,but I wouldn't put dosh on it. He seems to need superior speed in his bike to do anything flash.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

roogazza wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:34 am
Antipodean wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:31 pm
his best chance is this year,but I wouldn't put dosh on it. He seems to need superior speed in his bike to do anything flash.
IMO if he’s a chance for the title he needs to win 2 of the next 3. Tracks should favour Ducati and if he’s going to actually win a title he needs to win when it’s a Ducati track IMO.

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

Combined times: Top factory bike is Maverick (5), and 5 factory riders go through Q1. Loving this close field.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I did not expect that!!!!!!!

(Concerning the pole sitter.)

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow.. that was incredible to see for that man ! You knew he still had it, just needed things to click back into place.

Incredible the number of authorities on Twitter saying that Dovi should be sacked and replaced, on the strength of one qualifying session though :|

Any thoughts on Dovi? My feelings are that he hasn't suddenly become the slowest rider on a Ducati, and that the ongoing mess with contract negotiations has affected both his will and concentration. It almost reminded me of KR JR in the early 4-stroke era and the absolutely evil bike that Suzuki had built (with the intermittent fly-by-wire controls) - he brought the bike home but wasn't willing to die for a loq position. Pol's comments and dejection after losing his fast lap at the end of Q2, about willing to risk your life and give everything you have, reminds you of how much comes down to the will of the rider and their commitment.

CLX

Post by CLX »

It’s not one session only though.

It’s just disappointing to think he might lose the title this season and not even put up a proper fight.

Petrucci was fired from hos seat months ago and it doesn’t seem to hang over him - of course we also expect less from him, but still.
Last edited by CLX on Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

-----

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

The enigma that is Johan Zarco continues. Super happy for him! Only slight twisted sense of irony that this would come at Brno, home track to the rider moved aside for Zarco, which will now be seen as a case of the ends justifying the means.

Looking at splits Zarco is killing it in sector 3 and 4, making up 3 tenths and 2 tenths on the next fastest ducatis. These are the two straights (incld HP hill) and the two flip flop chicanes. In my mind Zarco getting thru and off the chicanes smoother feeding in power sooner which is the difference maker for half a second in just this half the lap.

Also very intriguing are the KTMs. Gutted for the yellow flag thing but looking at the final sector both KTMs are in top three quickest on HP hill and are equal on top speed with ducatis. Signs they two have figured out this power delivery thing that Zarco infamously brought to their attention :) and also have the ponies to back it up. Very telling signs for what is leading up to a set of exciting home races in Austria at the Red Bull ring for them.

Other interesting things are a front row entirely of satellite, independent, non-factory teams, sorry can’t figure out what I want to call them at the moment :) which is as unprecedented as I can remember. Equally unprecedented at the opposite end are the two factory Honda’s. Also bummed for Nakagima who I think got a bogus track limits thing in Q1 so again we wait to see the best from him.

Haven’t paid attention to race pace yet but this is where Dovi is going to be reaching deep for that rabbit in the hat and he may just find it. What the track is doing to the tires will not bode well for the a Yamahas who find themselves together at the bottom of top speed chart. They are bound by the ever diminishing, always in short supply, quantity all racers seek, traction.

Dovi has shown us time and time again that he can work with that and be there at the end. It won’t be easy but chasing quick laps showed us the tires only lasted for one lap. Not even two. So you had to nail it and any one who didn’t missed out. The race will be entirely different challenge.