MotoGP R3 26-7-20 Gran Premio Red Bull de Andalucía

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Mikesbytes

MotoGP R3 26-7-20 Gran Premio Red Bull de Andalucía

Post by Mikesbytes »

Marquez out, have heard that he won't be replaced but haven't seen it written. Crutchlow likely to be in despite having a pin inserted into his hand for the broken bone.

Will we get a repeat of last week or a significant deviation?
My signature isn't particularly interesting

motor

Re: MotoGP R3 26-7-20 Gran Premio Red Bull de Andalucía

Post by motor »

(gpone reports that Marc's surgery went through just fine with no complications with the nerve et al)
Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Here you go Mikebytes (links to the article about HRC not replacing Marc this weekend)
https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/1 ... broken-arm

As long as you haven't looked at more than 5 articles in a month! :)

Long range weather forecast is another absolute scorcher on the weekend.
Not sure if this will be like WSBK double race weekends when the results are very similar, or the teams have had more time to think about setup.

The Motogp world feed crew thought the smaller teams would be a bit closer as they have had more time to get to the right setup, although you can't imagine it being much closer than it was last weekend!

I will make one prediction of a Binder top 6 and podium for Pol if they can put the race together, the KTM looked like it was going really well.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

I'm looking forward to see if my theory about thinkers v instinctive racers comes up. (or falls flat on it's face)

Dovi is the obvious "thinker", so expect him to push up if I'm right
Marquez as the peak instinctive rider, but out of the equation now.

Who will be able to find that extra little bit from their set-up next week (do we have the same amount of practice and qualifying? will there be different tyre compounds brought in the light of this week's experience?).

Every rider must have been sitting there on Sunday evening trying to figure out all the little things that didn't go quite right rather than usually putting them in a mental box and starting on the next race.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Vinales clearly made a mistake last weekend and I think that he should be favourite for this weekend. Dovi should be up there, he’s great at tyre management, Miller will be quick but probably will run out of tyre before Dovi.

Question that maybe Krop or someone else can answer is the extra edge grip just an advantage for corner speed bikes (ie they can make better use of it) or is it also detrimental to a bike like Ducati’s?

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

This year will be a year for consistency
If Dovi can’t take advantage with Marc Marquez being out then maybe ducati need to replace him
Managing tyres is good but there are 2 very fast yamahas looking to show who is best

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

There's a suggestion that M.Marquez will be on a bike on Saturday, I'm assuming that's not a MotoGP bike

CLX

Post by CLX »

I assume nothing but expect Maverick and Quartararo to be very strong again.

Ideally the weather would cool down enough to change track conditions significantly.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

p4p1 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:22 pm
Question that maybe Krop or someone else can answer is the extra edge grip just an advantage for corner speed bikes (ie they can make better use of it) or is it also detrimental to a bike like Ducati’s?
It helps everyone, some more than others. When first tried out Ducati liked it the least, yamaha the most, and Honda good with it but ran straight to complain "thats too much a yamaha tire". The idea as I understand it is they can use softer comound on a stiffer carcas a less flexing means less heat. So makes them all faster.

What the Ducati gells so well with Michelins rear is the incredible mechanical grip they can extract out of it. I can see how a softer carcuss tire which can compress and squat down into a larger contact patch would suit the excelent mechanical transfer grip generated from the ducati. Stiffer tire negates this to some extent. How much so we will see. Whether the wear can last longer wihtout dropping is the wild card for yamaha and also remains to be seen.

So what I what I was expecting to see was Ducati negative, yahama positive, and Honda neutral. But I think have learned in first race is the rear exposes Hondas tricky front once again, perhaps a thing for them that only Marq can handle. Was also pleased to see Ducatis up close to front which was good to see, So all that said it may have struck the right balance overall in the end.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

My God.. Marc has been passed fit to take place in the race!

I am so torn on this. On the one hand, you must admire his bravery, dedication, tolerance of pain. On the other, I think of Kevin Schwantz and how he effectively finished his career by crashing when he shouldn't have been riding. I also think that Marc isn't riding in isolation. Lorenzo got away with it in Assen 2013 (again, he probably shouldn't have been riding) - what happens if Marc can't stop the bike at the end of the back straight and skittles a bunch of riders?

And look at the physical condition of the riders (those in fit shape) at the end of the race, in those conditions, on Sunday. Now imagine doing that on top of major surgery a few days before.
It makes me sound like a party-pooper for saying it, but I hope Marc finds it too hard on Friday and sits out for the weekend, rather than risk life changing injury to himself or wiping out others in the race.

I see also Rins and Crutchlow have been passed for racing - I think Cal's injury arguably is more passable, again not sure if its the right idea of Alex.
p4p1 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:22 pm
Vinales clearly made a mistake last weekend and I think that he should be favourite for this weekend. Dovi should be up there, he’s great at tyre management, Miller will be quick but probably will run out of tyre before Dovi.

Mat Oxley wrote an interesting article on this in Motorsport magazine
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... ad-for-v4s

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:43 pm
It makes me sound like a party-pooper for saying it, but I hope Marc finds it too hard on Friday and sits out for the weekend, rather than risk life changing injury to himself or wiping out others in the race.
I don't think anyone is going to disagree that it would be better for Marquez to recover properly before racing again. If the alternative is too high a risk of doing something really serious to himself.

Crutchlow wanted to race last Sunday with concussion, and a concussion on top of a concussion can be very serious. And he's on the Honda which seems to make the chance of crashing higher.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Medical statement on Marquez, Crutchlow and Rins - all cleared to race

https://www.mcnews.com.au/motogp-medica ... 2Ykp9R-E9k

FP1: Crutchlow 20th, Rins 21st (only did 8 laps). Marquez not participating, will start on Saturday

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Cal looked like he was in a lot of pain. For Cal to look like that, it shows what kind of discomfort he must be in.

Didn't see Rins but looking at his lap time he is similarly struggling.

Really interesting commentary on how strong Marc is despite the injury - lifting heavy bags off the arrival carousel etc.
Will be interesting to see how he can cope on Saturday.

Also - to get away from injuries - how good are the KTMs looking right now? Very impressive.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Marquez is starting to look like he's invulnerable. But, I wonder if he believes that himself. If so, that could go horribly wrong.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

FP2 - not the names you normally expect to see at the top of the list

CLX

Post by CLX »

Rins and Cal way down the order.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Makes you really wonder what criteria the doctors are looking at. Pushups/Weight/Pressure.

IMO - they should have consideration for the rider's future - not just are they "fit" enough to race.

I am a MMA fan and referees/doctors are known to stop fights if there is a cut in a sensitive place...around the eye etc even though the fighter can continue and wants to.

Again -not flagging the process but cases like this certainly demand a closer look. At what point do you protect the rider from themselves bc they will ALWAYS want to race.

atropos

Post by atropos »

Totally agree - it would be interesting to know what criteria they are using to assess fitness. There comes a point when clinical judgement should override riders' wishes and in the case of Rins, Crutchlow and Marquez, they should not be on the track this weekend.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

AJracing wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:00 pm
I am a MMA fan and referees/doctors are known to stop fights if there is a cut in a sensitive place...around the eye etc even though the fighter can continue and wants to.
A stoppage due to cuts has nothing to do with looking out for a career though. They’re not fit to continue because they can’t see. It’s no different than ruling that someone can’t compete because they’re blind.

I’m not sure where I stand on allowing some of these guys to compete so soon after surgery but it’s the doctors job to see if they can physically compete and it’s an athlete and their teams decision to decide if they should.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Marquez will do fine. If I understand correct was a clean break no other damage. Shoulders and joints will be more troublesome. So Rins is going to have a tough go.

This is how they make their living. If they can pass a physical then let them try. They are expirenced enough to know when its unsafe.

Now that said Marq has a much different view, or total lack thereof, for the safety of others he shares the track with, but that has nothing to do with whether he is injured or not.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Rins is sitting out of fp3 with a return expected in fp4. Currently sitting 22nd.
Crutchlow in 19th.
Marquez in 16th. From what I’ve seen though he isn’t putting many laps together so I’m not sure if he thinks he can race tomorrow or not.

Binder is kicking ass on the KTM. Great to see.
Fabio has broken the lap record and will probably break it again.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Grinder flying during the first 2 sectors but loses it in the 3rd sector.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Two KTMs straight through to Q2. Is this the first time that's happened. It's a good result.

Q1 is starting now, so it could be than in an hours time everything could be utterly reversed by then.

atropos

Post by atropos »

MM93 did not post a time in Q2. AM73 had a crash and appears to have injured his right arm.

What are the chances of that?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

atropos wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:28 pm
MM93 did not post a time in Q2. AM73 had a crash and appears to have injured his right arm.

What are the chances of that?
Cal is also injured due to a crash. It seems the Honda is living up to its reputation as a tricky bike to ride.

Interesting qualifying, and it should be close for the race tomorrow. Is this Bagnaia's first every front row start in MotoGP?

Good starting position for Olivera. I was sure that Binder was going to be top KTM, even before Espagaro crashed.