Jerez 2020 - Gran Premio Red Bull de España

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
kenup283

Jerez 2020 - Gran Premio Red Bull de España

Post by kenup283 »

Finally season upon us once more.

With the shake down test out of way I was curious to see how they shook out interms of past lap times.

Detailed timing was not avail so I simply looked at quickest times from each mfgr. from today, and last times out in Nov and also the 2019 race and post race test.

In all nothing really out of ordinary with the pace. The first sessions of all these days more or less fall in line. The tires may be different and times of year, but from May, to Nov, and now July, they are all fairly in line. Apart from post race test which can see is when really quick times come out which is typical after a full weekend and race distance of rubbering in the track.

Mikesbytes

Re: Jerez 2020 - Gran Premio Red Bull de España

Post by Mikesbytes »

High track temperatures at the test would of resulted in slower times. There was banter that the new Michelin would favour the inline 4's and that is where the test finished, however we see Marc Marquez, Aleix Espargaro, Miller and Bagnaia in the combined top 10 with only 0.6 separating them. Largely there isn't that much to analyse in the test but there are a few anomolies such as Zarco 17th in session 1 elevating to 7th in session 2

Amongst all the other stuff they need to sort will be working out how to make the new rear work and I'm guessing that some manufacturers will figure it out and others won't

Will Dovi's injury mean he doesn't last the entire race?
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

What's this about some riders sitting out parts or all of some sessions due to breaking the rules about training with production bikes? It includes Quartararo.

EDIT: Times for the sessions aren't available yet. Looking at the top four MM/MV/CC/AD it seems business as usual, but this is only free practice. Interesting to see Lecuona ahead of Binder and one place behind the KTM mounted one of the Espargaro. But, I guess that everything I write here will be immediately invalidated in FP2.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

They got busted for using non-road bikes

https://motomatters.com/news/2020/07/15 ... arcia.html

The issue was that they used non-approved bikes that were not road bikes (and should have sought permission first). David's view is that penalty was a slap on the wrist as it wasn't that bad (ie the bikes were much nearer road bikes than MotoGP bikes so they were only breaking the letter, not the spirit of the law).

Mike

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Thank you. I should have spotted that :D

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Without giving away the results, wow at one point with about 10 mins left Lecuona was in last place and less than a second off the fastest lap (!!!)
Has it ever been so close?

Commentary as well saying the 2nd weekend at the same track will really help the smaller teams catch up with setup and should bring the gap down still further..

BUT - bloody hell how awesome to see and hear the bikes on track once more :D

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Binder looking very impressive. But, we'll see what happens in qualifying.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

I think Maverick really has a title shot this year, the bike is working better, the new Michelins are a help to Suzuki and Yamaha, Mav is on his game and looking very confident.

I've always rated Binder but he is really starting to prove how good he really is. He would have won that Moto2 title if the KTM wasn't a dog for half the season.

Morbidelli on the move also. I think Franco has more maturity and levelheadedness than Fabio, Fabio has the outright speed but maybe not the racecraft needed just yet to really challenge MM. Franco, if he has Fabio's speed and a cooler head, might be inching closer to doing that too.

Sooooo good to see bikes dig in and turn again

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Quartararo was the only rider to go faster in FP2 over FP1 and it was impressive, putting him 2nd in FP2 but still 15th on combined times due to his FP1 time. Track temperatures;
FP1 - 35deg
FP2 - 51deg

Zarco is 3rd Ducati, only Dovi and Miller in front of him and an impressive 11th overall on that 2019 bike. I'm assuming that Petrucci is suffering from that practice crash

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Fabio’s pace was incredibly impressive on Fp2, he was blitzing the opposition... 12 laps in the low 1:38 versus 7 for Marquez... most of Fabio’s laps were faster than Marquez fastest lap... If, and it looks ominous, he can go straight to Q2 by posting a good lap on Fp3, Fabio might prove too fast to catch... which would start the season with a bang. Both Binder and Lecuona (Hervé seems to have done it again!) show impressive adaptation to the class!!

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

FP3 top 10 is missing Rins, the only inline 4 rider to miss out. Quartararo tops the list, he is looking strong for the race. Miller only 0.052 behind Quartararo and is 0.3 quicker than any other Ducati. Pol was piped out of 10th place by Dovi after the flag fell

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

I think you mean Rins MB. Vinales was 5th, Rins missed out finishing 12th.

Never mind I see you have edited your post, :D
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Rins has dislocated his shoulder in his fall in Q2 and has been declared unfit for the race,
That makes fighting or the championship in a shortened season all the more difficult,
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Appologies for my brain fade WayneG, about a minute after I posted I picked up my error and corrected.

Shame about the fall, as we know a DNS or DNF is a disaster this year, consistency is paramount and I'm sure all the riders know that

Quartararo is in a good position with pole but Marquez is on the front row

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Just watched the qualifying highlights https://youtu.be/KWUTNorC5yw

Is it confirmed that Millers bike dropped something slippery on the track?

Front end looses, I'm not surprised as the new rear is reported to have a lot more grip and that pushes the front. Expect a lot more front end looses this year

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Miller’s bike was off track before really hitting the ground. So I don’t think it was oil.

It looked more to me from Rins onboard that he was off line and distracted by Miller in the gravel.

His bike should have been wheels on the paint and body over inside curb there. Rather he was middle of track and seemed to look straight ahead to the gravel at Miller where at that point should already been looking thru the turn ahead.

I know big words from keyboard but bikes position on track supports it from what I can tell. He also had a let’s say similar ocurance at end of Q1 when Aprilla high sided in front of Rins he appeared to look up briefly at that and go wide resulting in crash. In that case was slowest speed corner, unfortunately in Q2 was in fastest corner.

Edit: agree on comment about rear tire overpowering front. I saw an Alex Márquez Crash in FP2 I think that looked like that. Could see his hand lift off the brake and then get on throttle with next thing to occur was losing front. Was low speed but that thought crossed my mind supporting your predication.
Last edited by kenup283 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Interesting qualifying times.

Quartararo nails Pole without topping a single sector, and all four Yamahas at bottom of top speed chat for the session.

Actually all four would have been at bottom of Q1 top speed chart too. Aprilla qualifying last on the grid had more top speed than the fastest Yamaha in qualifying.

Now we know that is meaningless in terms of lap time but we also can imagine it speaks that Yamaha hasn’t changed their nature and will need to make a break for it and pray the new tire doesn’t drop..

Ducati is still king of top speed a full 10kph over the Yamahas at bottom and 5 over Honda’s, and 7 over Suzuki’s and KTM.

What I did find hopeful was the sector time Miller set thru the fast series of left hand turns sector 3 that has been owned by Marquez all weekend Miller was able to match Marqs and Quats time there, and three tenths quicker than Dovi thru there.

He went on to crash shortly after. But it showed potential. Now he probably took every last bit out life of that front tire such that nothing was left but it showed Miller still finding ways to make the bike turn.

Bagnaia quick there too, a tenth and half behind splitting difference to Dovi, but showing good pace potential in what o see as Ducatis weak point, on thottle fast turns where have to hold a tight line. Again can they do it for very long. I suspect not but good to see them try.

Also good to see was Binder. His times from Q1 slip him in overall at P5 on the grid! Ahead of Miller.

Binders sector times in second half of lap are quite good. T3 the fast lefts he topped Q1 and was as quick as Viñales from Q2. Binders time from fourth sector would slot in at fourth overall on Q2 board, just ahead of Marqez quickest fourth sector in Q2!

Where Binder is loosing time, big, is first sector giving up three tenths. Also the second sector he gives up one more tenth to top riders in q2.

Looking at Pol he is just as quick, just not as consistent. Pol managed to string his faster sectors together where Binder would have been quicker on ideal time if he managed to do same. This will come in time. But looks good start.

Now if that all is not strange enough. The entire top 5 from Q1 would fit ahead of P6 on the grid from Q2.

I know not same conditions but Rins and Pol were on pace from their Q1 times in Q2 so looks like some of the back half of Q2 field may have lost their qualifying edge ever so slightly over the dormant period.

A lot of words for something that come tomorrow won’t matter one bit, especially with how hot it will be and how long it has been since these guys have raced. It’s going to come down to feel guts and grit. It’s got potential to be a good one. Extracting story lines from timesheets and reading tea leaves will have to wait. Let’s go racing !

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Good analysis Kenup

Warmup everyone was running a soft rear slick. The front seemed to have almost half running the hard with the rest except Crutchlow running the soft. Crutchlow ran the medium. Track was 29deg and I'm assuming that it will be hotter for the race so that will no doubt affect tyre choice. https://resources.motogp.com/files/resu ... 1578452553

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:34 am
Good analysis Kenup

Warmup everyone was running a soft rear slick. The front seemed to have almost half running the hard with the rest except Crutchlow running the soft. Crutchlow ran the medium. Track was 29deg and I'm assuming that it will be hotter for the race so that will no doubt affect tyre choice. https://resources.motogp.com/files/resu ... 1578452553
Pardon me if I'm being ignorant, but if the new tyres favour, compared to previous years, rear-wheel grip over front-wheel grip, leading to front wheel washouts, then wouldn't putting a hard on the front and a soft on the rear exacerbate this? At least at the beginning of the race.

EDIT: I'm out of practice with race weekends. Moto2 about to start. Missed Moto3 altogether. Martin on pole is very promising for the season and his future.

EDIT: Pity that Cal is out the race, given his good qualifying position.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Marc's arm was flailing really grimly in a replay I just saw :(

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Awesome job by FQ, thoroughly deserved... Great result!

CLX

Post by CLX »

Great to have racing again, but what a shame for Marquez’s crash. Fingers crossed but it does not look well.

Way to go FQ.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Marc... broken humerus :?

Thats not a nice place to have a break.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Yes, that did not look nice at all. We'll have to wait for news of how serious this injury is going to be.

Marc's accident took the shine off the race, but it is good for FQ to finally get his first win. I suspect that we will not have to wait too long for the next one.

Twinfan

Post by Twinfan »

Fracture of the humerus and potential radial nerve damage, surgery for Marc on Tuesday with Dr Mir. That really doesn't sound good and I wish him a speedy recovery. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds :shock: