Rossi could race for four more years

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Rossi could race for four more years

Post by Fingernails »

According to his father, Valentino Rossi could race for four more years: https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93803 ... more-years

MiniNinjaMk5

Re: Rossi could race for four more years

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow.. the Tom Brady (or Roger Federer - delete as appropriate) of bike racing.

I'm sure Dorna will be happy!

I just hope he doesn't end up slowing to the point where he is fighting for top 10s, and retires before that (sadly it will have to happen at some point)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I remember seeing a talk by Graeme Crosby where he discussed racing. This must have been in the 1980s.

He mentioned racers who had been great in the past, but hung around a long time after their peak. He didn't say whom he was talking about. But, I don't think it is hard to guess. Croz's comment was that they keep on thinking that it's all going to happen to them again. So, maybe Rossi is still competing hoping for the occasional win. Or perhaps he thinks there's a chance that he'll dominate again.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Yamaha had a curve ball thrown at them with the tires and wear. 2020 is looking like that pendulum will swing back their way. Having stuck it out the hard times, leaving now would’ve been a waste. Got to at least give it a go, you’ll never know if you don’t try it ;)

I also have become a fan of what Rossi has done off the track with his academy brining back a wave of Italian riders into the fold. Staying around long keeps him all the more plugged in and influential which can help there. Besides there’s some top talent backing up in the garage at the Petronas team.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I suppose for Rossi (and this might also be a case for Dovi/Ducati to) even if it looks unlikely that in a straight fight they will beat Marc (and certainly not over a season) they are both still producing seasons like Hayden in 2006, arguably better than that in Dovi's case.

There in no JL on a Yamaha anymore to be the other recent WC winner. Perhaps from their own perspective, they think it's possible for Marc to have another 2015, or even one slide where a hand or foot gets caught under the bike - that's all it would need, and then there would be a new WC.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Have you seen the article on the front page about Rossi's re-signing.

Must be interesting for him not to be on the front foot quite so much. IIRC he did it when he came back to Yam from Ducati (IIRC he raced on no salary, just win bonuses), but will he want to do that again?

"hey Max, is WSBK as much of a giggle as they say? How fast do you reckon this Rea bloke really is..."

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

bikermike wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:00 am
"hey Max, is WSBK as much of a giggle as they say? How fast do you reckon this Rea bloke really is..."
there is now a gap at Yam WSBK...
just sayin' like... :mrgreen:

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Ah do you think that is very likely? I don't I'm afraid. I think far more likely he will go into team management (even manager rider) or go off to do something with four wheels, either rallying or sports/GT cars.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:56 pm
Ah do you think that is very likely? I don't I'm afraid. I think far more likely he will go into team management (even manager rider) or go off to do something with four wheels, either rallying or sports/GT cars.
No, not at all, (hence the smiley). But it is an immensely amusing coincidence.

It's not a totally insane idea, it raises the profile of WSBK, keeps Rossi doing bikes (if he swans off too cars, a decent chunk of his casual fans will follow), allows him to race at 9/10ths whilst he starts on team-building, and he wouldn't be the first MotoGP star to have a last hurrah in that paddock. In reality, I can't see it happening unless he didn't get the offer for a MotoGP bike.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I suspect that Rossi will move from riding in MotoGP to running a team in MotoGP. With his VR46 organisation, I think he's committed. I don't think he'd move to another series.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:16 pm
I suspect that Rossi will move from riding in MotoGP to running a team in MotoGP. With his VR46 organisation, I think he's committed. I don't think he'd move to another series.
I'm guessing that now isn't the time to start a new team due to a lack of finance, though things will change. My guess is that they will add 2 slots for him rather than having him take over an existing team
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:57 am
Fingernails wrote:
I'm guessing that now isn't the time to start a new team due to a lack of finance, though things will change. My guess is that they will add 2 slots for him rather than having him take over an existing team
It was said at the time when TECH3 moved from Yamaha to KTM that TECH3 could see the writing on the wall that there would be a VR46 team at some time, and that team would get the Yamaha customer bikes. So, TECH3 jumped before they were pushed. If VR46 was to get customer Yamahas, would there therefore be six Yamahas on the grid? Or would Petronas lose the Yams and would they then have to find another source of bikes (e.g. Suzuki?)
Last edited by Fingernails on Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Tech3 clearly knew something was coming. Whether that something was Petronas or VR46 is unknowable. Now Petronas are here, they aren't going to play 3rd fiddle to factory and vr46.

I can't imagine Dorna would want them to be disgruntled either.

I wonder if there are any non-commercial factors to the bike numbers limit (max track limits, cumulative noise etc etc)? That might prevent more bikes being added.

Are 6 bikes more expensive per bike than 4? The fixed r&d costs go further, what happens to the unit cost?

The problem with VR46 I would think is branding - any title sponsor of the team will be 2nd fiddle to VR46. To pony up the millions to be Petronas motogp is one thing, to be VR46 [sponsor] Yamaha is another.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I can't believe that I wrote TECH2 instead of TECH3. I do know who the team are, honest guv!

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

In regards to 6 bikes vs 4 bikes. To state the obvious the R&D is the same and the actual manufacturing is increased per unit, though there could be some savings in increased volume. Of course if previous years bikes are used then there's more savings, pretty much just a rebuild of existing engines. I think it will boil down to how much money the satellite teams are willing to pay for the bikes

In regards to costs, I have to ask the following questions;
1. Why isn't their a satellite Suzuki team?
2. What is the situation with Aprilia?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:34 am
I can't believe that I wrote TECH2 instead of TECH3. I do know who the team are, honest guv!
If that's the worse you can do, then your doing way better than me ;)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:54 am
1. Why isn't their a satellite Suzuki team?
2. What is the situation with Aprilia?
I would guess that both of these have the same answer. There are benefits to being involved in the top teams which Aprilia isn't and Suzuki sort of is but not as clearly as Yamaha, Ducati, and Honda. We see the interactions between the teams, and it's clearly over and above just providing bikes. Particularly for Ducati with Avintia receiving more factory support.

I also wonder if those three teams are seen as more likely to stick it out in the long term and continue supporting satellite teams. Suzuki withdrew once, albeit for a short time, and think it more likely that either of these teams might decide to not supply satellite bikes after having supplied them.

Hence I could see satellite teams deciding to go with one of the big three teams in preference to Aprilia or Suzuki. TECH3 going with KTM goes against this, but perhaps expresses TECH3's belief that KTM will stay and get there, giving TECH3 a privileged position after KTM 'gets there'.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:57 am
Fingernails wrote:
Just thinking what the precedent is for ex-riders and Yamaha in particular. Have to go back some way but pretty sure Wayne Rainey's Yamaha was the official factory squad? Same too with Kenny Roberts back when he ran Marlboro Yamaha? (I know he ran his own team eventually)

Although if anyone can get the manufacturer support and finance behind them for a brand new team, its Rossi.

CLX

Post by CLX »

I don't know what actually motivates Rossi nowadays. The odds of Michelin making a tyre which solves his problems are next to none. Racing between 5th and 10th is far beyond what he could do.

4 more years of this?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

hdot

Post by hdot »

CLX wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:47 pm
I don't know what actually motivates Rossi nowadays. The odds of Michelin making a tyre which solves his problems are next to none. Racing between 5th and 10th is far beyond what he could do.

4 more years of this?
Yea, I was going to ask.... "but why?"

I guess we can see how he does over the season. But I feel like his star power is diminished a good bit if his results are weak.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Honestly, as a massive Rossi fan, I feel the latest iteration of MotoGP bikes may be one adaptation too far.

For me, it absolutely does not diminish his achievements one single bit, but I dont see him pulling a final rabbit from the hat now.

GOAT... for me yes 100%, but things move on.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Guys.. it was one race! :)

Lets see how he does after this weekend's race if he can get a good setup and then the following race at Brno.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:08 pm
Guys.. it was one race! :)

Lets see how he does after this weekend's race if he can get a good setup and then the following race at Brno.
It’s more do a continuation of the last few seasons, he clearly made a wrong tyre choice but still looked like he only had the speed to be the last Yamaha. Last year the only Yamaha he beat was Morbidelli who seems to be an average rider in the grid. Yes he is still faster than a lot of the grid. How much that has to do with being on a factory bike, I’m not sure. But it’s been quite a while since he has had the speed to be on the podium consistently without riders in front of him crashing. He hasn’t won since 2017 and honestly if not for the backmarker Petrucci was going to win, then his last win would’ve been in early 2016.
Tourn46 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:24 pm
Honestly, as a massive Rossi fan, I feel the latest iteration of MotoGP bikes may be one adaptation too far.

For me, it absolutely does not diminish his achievements one single bit, but I dont see him pulling a final rabbit from the hat now.

GOAT... for me yes 100%, but things move on.
Is it adaption to new equipment?
Is it age?
Is it the strength of the competition?
Is it no Jerry Burgess to help sort out his bike?
Is it no electronic, bike or tyre advantages anymore?
I think control tyres showed how huge of an advantage being the getting tyres that suit you are. The wins really dried up for him after they were introduced.
2016 showed how much of an advantage factory Yamahas and Honda’s had because of the electronics. How much of a factor his age has been since 2016 though I don’t know.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

I don’t think Rossi has the fire anymore
Watching him move out of the way of Marc and looking over at him blasting by was painful to watch
Two years ago I would have said if Marc got injured Rossi would be in with a shout for the title
This year Marc is out but I don’t think Rossi will benefit

Time to move over and let others have the chance to shine
Too many good riders in moto2 with no prospect of getting a chance to show if they can make it
Fabio is proof there is someone there just needing the chance

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Vmax666 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 pm
Watching him move out of the way of Marc and looking over at him blasting by was painful to watch
Didn't want to get punted off the track ;)