Moto GP schedual and the corona virus...

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Humbucker

Moto GP schedual and the corona virus...

Post by Humbucker »

How much do you think the virus will affect the Moto GP races this year? I will be attending Austin GP again this year... I hope?

Mikesbytes

Re: Moto GP schedual and the corona virus...

Post by Mikesbytes »

It's not looking like the virus will be contained
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Kdubbs46

Post by Kdubbs46 »

Only 65 confirmed cases in the United States, I believe. Lots of voluntary quarantines but so far not much bad news, granted that's if you believe everything you read.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Kdubbs46 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:46 am
Only 65 confirmed cases in the United States, I believe. Lots of voluntary quarantines but so far not much bad news, granted that's if you believe everything you read.
Just over a week or so ago Japan had 26 cases, and Iran had I think one case. Numbers can change very quickly.

snowman

Post by snowman »

No Motogp class in Qatar.
https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93698 ... togp-class

It's going to be a weird year. Looking like more countries will impose a quarantine period of two to three weeks, teams are not going to get there early enough to clear quarantine.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

snowman wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:39 pm

It's going to be a weird year. Looking like more countries will impose a quarantine period of two to three weeks, teams are not going to get there early enough to clear quarantine.
Yeh, under those rules we would of seen a lineup of riders who weren't Italian and weren't riding on Italian bikes

I wonder if any of the Moto2 or Moto3 riders will miss out? Probably not, but some could of gone home for a day or 2 inbetween

CLX

Post by CLX »

I have no idea what to expect.

Championship wise, good for Marquez. And horrible for Yamaha and Suzuki. This is such a blow for Maverick.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Does this allow teams more time to submit their farings before they are frozen?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

CLX wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:38 am
I have no idea what to expect.

Championship wise, good for Marquez. And horrible for Yamaha and Suzuki. This is such a blow for Maverick.
Last year at Qatar 0.6 separated the top 5 - Dovi, Marquez, Crutclow, Rins and Rossi. That's 4 manufacturers

snowman

Post by snowman »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:50 pm
snowman wrote:

Yeh, under those rules we would of seen a lineup of riders who weren't Italian and weren't riding on Italian bikes

I wonder if any of the Moto2 or Moto3 riders will miss out? Probably not, but some could of gone home for a day or 2 inbetween
Moto2 and Moto3 testing just finished today(Sunday) so should all be good

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

snowman wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:37 am
Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:50 pm
snowman wrote:

Moto2 and Moto3 testing just finished today(Sunday) so should all be good
So they know not to go back to Italy for a couple of days

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Now I’m reading Thailand has been suspended indefinitely.
This could have huge implications for the championships as already noted above. I’m not sure how it works in the EU but if quarantine periods become mandatory for just overseas flights etc that causes issues with going to the US if the teams don’t leave early enough, going from the US to Argentina then going to Jerez.
If Italy is a problem spot it throws Mugello into question etc. interesting times ahead.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I've just returned from Tokyo and saw the city closing down around me.

It's clear that the coronavirus is going to affect an awful lot of things. In Japan, I've heard that some of the sumo tournaments will be held with no audience.

Other sports may have to find their own solution. Is it possible that something could happen like MotoGP using a small number of tracks in a limited physical area, possibly without crowds. Could that be financially viable?

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

I don't think any MotoGP event on earth is profitable in isolation, IE the track and promoter/syndicate making a profit just off the spectators and on-site food and souvenirs and stuff .

I think some are profitable when supported by a share of the local economic benefit from spectator money at hotels, restaurants and associated spending.

I think a MotoGP event with no spectators would be two zeros short of break-even.

Perhaps David may have some solid info.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

speeddog wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:25 am
I don't think any MotoGP event on earth is profitable in isolation, IE the track and promoter/syndicate making a profit just off the spectators and on-site food and souvenirs and stuff .

I think some are profitable when supported by a share of the local economic benefit from spectator money at hotels, restaurants and associated spending.

I think a MotoGP event with no spectators would be two zeros short of break-even.

Perhaps David may have some solid info.
What are the costs of a MotoGP race? Not as a total number but as a breakdown. If the alternative was no racing at all, what compromises could be made in terms of costs?

E.g. for Formula one, the major cost to the track (and usually the location) is the FIA's fee which is huge. How much does Dorma charge? And if the alternative was no season at all, what could or couldn't be done? (Though, for the FIA I wonder if they would demand the fee anyhow, forcing tracks into bankruptcy. Though, perhaps force majeure would protect them.)

I'm not suggesting that there would definitely be a way to do so - but wish to discuss if there's an alternative to simply not running the season.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

a lot will hinge on the insurance as to what happens over cancellation. I work in a different sector and we are looking very carefully at force majeure type clauses.

Whilst some of Dorna's fee will go to profit etc, there is a still a Dorna HQ to pay for, staff on salaries etc

Also, what happens to TV rights etc, there will be a lot of money paid back if the programme isn't delivered (and the tv co will in turn be paying the advertisers back etc).

To me, it's interesting that Italy is a hotspot - I imagine we could learn a lot about actual (as opposed to presumed) travel patterns from where the infection crops up.

I wonder if the thing to do is to scrub the first [x] many rounds of the championship as championship rounds, but try to put on what they can in each place on a non-championship basis (top up with local wildcards/Moto2 riders or something) to keep the show on the road, By June/July, we should know if it's a storm in a tea-cup or we all need to buy Z1s and chase Supercharged Holden Interceptors.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Some good points bikermike

Regardless of what the workarounds are, the biggest problem is planning ahead, the logistics of setting up a race at a circuit with say 2 weeks notice is huge, probably impossible and the situation with COVID-19 is changing so rapidly that planning for a major sporting event is nigh impossible

Do we need to focus on national series this year?

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

thanks!

Could be the year of the national series - unless you are unlucky enough to be in a country with lockdown zones.

Agreed re logistics, hence the idea of binning everything off for several months, and plan for June now, and then see what can be thrown together as one-offs in the mean-time.

Mark Marquez at Darley Moor on a tatty steel-framed 600? Let's see you get those elbows down on that surface...

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

death rate in Italy has climbed. Amongst other initiatives sporting events in Italy will be without the audience

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Looks like the F1 race is going ahead in Australia. I think this explains why Australia hasn't banned travel from Italy, seems pretty risky

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

We'll know the result of that in a few weeks.

You'd think that they could test the entire team before they leave Italy. If they're all negative, that should indicate safety.

I just had my own test earlier today, and it was pretty quick and easy. Test the teams and then the chance of problems is minimised.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Thai is scheduled for Oct 4th

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

A couple of points;
1. Minimum number of races for the year will be 13 to call it a championship
2. They may add events at the end of the year to make it to 13, racing in countries that are warm.
3. Considering racing with no audience

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport ... da172692e6

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:21 am
A couple of points;
1. Minimum number of races for the year will be 13 to call it a championship
2. They may add events at the end of the year to make it to 13, racing in countries that are warm.
3. Considering racing with no audience

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport ... da172692e6
In terms of the cost of running a race without an audience mentioned quite a bit up the thread - would it cost a lot more to run a race without an audience than it does to run one of the major tests? Because they certainly have tests.

Could they make up the races with some double headers with races on both Saturday and Sunday? Or Sunday and Monday?

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

Fingernails wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:14 am
In terms of the cost of running a race without an audience mentioned quite a bit up the thread - would it cost a lot more to run a race without an audience than it does to run one of the major tests? Because they certainly have tests.

Could they make up the races with some double headers with races on both Saturday and Sunday? Or Sunday and Monday?
AFAIK, the sanctioning fee for a race is ~5 million Euro , so yes, it costs a *lot* more for a race than a test.