Moto GP schedual and the corona virus...

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Re: Moto GP schedual and the corona virus...

Post by Fingernails »

Now that Perez has tested positive for covid-19 in Formula One, it'll be interesting to see what happens there. If there are now lots of cases in his team and others in F1 then that will be an issue. If it turns out that it pretty much stops with Perez, then that will give more confidence that the procedures in place are sound.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Apparently announcement today about Argentina, Malaysia, Thai rounds.

From what I have read from the journos covering all three of these rounds to be cancelled

Apical

Re: Moto GP schedual another round?

Post by Apical »

I've recently seen a bit of info from Suzuki Racing. An extra race would be interesting. The article says "The FIM, IRTA and Dorna Sports will announce the venue for the new season finale next week, August 10th" I expect the season to finish at Valencia in the middle of November. This piece suggests another round in Europe somewhere. It would have to be a warm part of Europe. Does anyone want to guess where?

https://www.suzuki-racing.com/motogp/EX ... 105572.cms

My guess is Portugal, maybe Estoril, probably not. The 10th would be next Monday after the race at Brno.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

Apical wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:07 am
This piece suggests another round in Europe somewhere. It would have to be a warm part of Europe. Does anyone want to guess where?
I guess a race in Finland in November would at least avoid any worries with the heat over-stressing the bike engines or riders

I'm sure you're right about Portugal. Mugello is notably absent from the line up, but I suspect it's too cold for racing there at that time of the year and there's already 7 of the 13 races in Spain.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Antipodean wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:27 am
Apical wrote:
This piece suggests another round in Europe somewhere. It would have to be a warm part of Europe. Does anyone want to guess where?
I guess a race in Finland in November would at least avoid any worries with the heat over-stressing the bike engines or riders

I'm sure you're right about Portugal. Mugello is notably absent from the line up, but I suspect it's too cold for racing there at that time of the year and there's already 7 of the 13 races in Spain.
Ice racing round!! Let's see how far Marquez can lean a bike on spiked tyres...

I think anywhere in November is going to be dicey, the Iberian peninsula is likely to be the least risky.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

A crude set of generalisations, but I think we can rule the UK out on temperature grounds...

http://9.hikb.at/charts/temperature-map ... vember.png

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Is it really impossible to head to the southern hemisphere?

I guess it will be too difficult. But, I'd like to hear what the consequences of trying to do that are.

Plenty of suitable tracks in Australia. And, if all the teams are tested and book out whole planes, then that could help.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Australia is having a flare-up at the moment, NZ is not letting anyone in, I'm not sure I'd want to go to southern Africa at the moment. Don't know what the Argentine situation is.

A huge expense though, and probably a massive logisitical exercise at a moment when budgets are drying up

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

bikermike wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:45 pm
Australia is having a flare-up at the moment, NZ is not letting anyone in, I'm not sure I'd want to go to southern Africa at the moment. Don't know what the Argentine situation is.

A huge expense though, and probably a massive logisitical exercise at a moment when budgets are drying up
The Victorian state has the problem, not the whole of Australia. PI is out but it still leaves the Bend and Sydney Motorsport parks as potential race locations. Under current regulations to enter Australia you need to do a 14 day hotel quarantine
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

They've made it clear the extra round is in Europe, and in November but I do wonder if they might not move all the Spanish GPs back a week or two and slot in a different circuit before the whole circus moves down there. Would the Kymiring be doable in September? I only think Finland so much because they are doing so well with the Virus, plus they must be aching to use that brand new (kart) track.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Antipodean wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:09 am
They've made it clear the extra round is in Europe, and in November but I do wonder if they might not move all the Spanish GPs back a week or two and slot in a different circuit before the whole circus moves down there. Would the Kymiring be doable in September? I only think Finland so much because they are doing so well with the Virus, plus they must be aching to use that brand new (kart) track.
Are European tracks that were cancelled an option in the future?

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

In November, you can forget any part of northern Europe. (happy memories of qualifying at Donington in September and losing the back on frost in a shadow. I did wonder why I'd been so much quicker into the Melbourne Loop than the wily old campaigner I was racing. Got my exhaust down but somehow saved it).

Are there are any circuits in North Africa? Turkey? (but that can get quite cold away from the coast). I'd say your only options are the Iberian peninsuala or Southern Italy.

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

Neil Hodgson (? pretty sure) on BT Sport said "the extra round in Portimao". However, it does appear that team sometimes make up things on the spot. :D

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

bikermike wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:09 pm
Antipodean wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:27 am
Apical wrote:

Ice racing round!! Let's see how far Marquez can lean a bike on spiked tyres...

I think anywhere in November is going to be dicey, the Iberian peninsula is likely to be the least risky.
I did just have a joke with a Finnish friend about the prospect of a Finland round any time after October.

Apparently Mika Kallio coming back in as a wildcard with some spiked tyres would be a good prospect :D

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Did they run a round of F1 in Turkey? If so what's the track like?

atropos

Post by atropos »

It's official, the season finale will be in Portimao on Nov 22nd.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

It's not going to be actually cold cold, but if the weather turns north Atlantic, it could be a race outside the usual MotoGP race temp parameters. I wonder how many of them have recent experience of racing on cold damp tracks

Stand by for Cal to scythe through the pack whilst munching on a chip butty...

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:15 am
Did they run a round of F1 in Turkey? If so what's the track like?
The F1 race was run between 2005 and 2011 inclusive at Istanbul City Park track in ... Istanbul. The track was a new track designed by Heman Tilke, so it will be pretty much the same as all the other Tilke designed tracks. However, MotoGP doesn't have a problem with overtaking, so that won't be such an issue. I'm not sure how regulations have changed since 2011, but I would guess that the track would be fit for MotoGP. Certainly the track's homepage shows a big modern looking venue. Looking at the temperatures for Istanbul, it looks to be significantly warmer there than many European locations. EDIT: Though, Jerez looks just as warm.

BTW: Returning to Covid-19, MotoGP has had its first positive Covid-19 test. It was apparently a cameraperson working for French TV but I think contracted to Dorna. In F1, it appears that Perez hasn't infected anyone else, which suggests to me that the strategies being employed are sufficient. It'll be interesting to see if there are more positive cases in MotoGP, with transmission from the cameraperson. But, I suspect that there won't be, and racing can continue. In F1, it appears that Perez was being a dickhead and mixing freely with people while in Mexico to visit his injured mother. It appears that he was also out partying. He's missed two races so far, but is unlikely to miss a third. This should be a warning to competitors and teams - take social distancing seriously.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

atropos wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:49 pm
It's official, the season finale will be in Portimao on Nov 22nd.
I’m really looking fwd to this. Silver lining in this whole thing. Great track for motorcycles.

Apical

Post by Apical »

Istanbul park circuit
In my opinion the circuit is a good one.
MotoGp has actually raced there in 2005, 6 & 2007.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_m ... Grand_Prix

It is a lot better than the average Tilkedrome. Some good bits the fast right hander on the back "straight" turn 11 or faux rouge is very fast. With a lot more run off than the original at Spa. There is a fair bit of elevation change. A triple left, maybe 4 apexes, turn eight. Which is a bit like the triple rights at Qatar, varying speed through the corner. I think the track is worthy of a ride.

Whether I would want to visit Turkey at the moment is another story.

I reckon Istanbul park deserves a place in the pantheon viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3992&start=175
What do you reckon?
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes from memory it produced some good racing. Certainly compared to the other Tilke tracks it seemed to have some more character. With the number of Turkish riders now in both GPs and WSBK hopefully it will find its ways onto the GP Calendar again.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

We’ve now finished a flurry of three races in a row and what a crazy set of races they were!

Now rather than preparing for a practice session tomorrow we are in the longest break for the remainder of the year. A break that in any other year would seem almost normal for what to expect between races.

How teams and riders spend this extra off week now may be critical in being there at the end as what comes next is going to be anything but normal.

Three sets of back to back to back races separated by a weekend off in between to take is all the way to the end.

The intensity that we’ve seen over last few weeks is about to be multiplied. Rinse and repeated, three times over.

Endurance. Is going to be the word. Mental. Physical. Mechanical, are all about to be tested as we have never seen before. The teams and mechanics are also going to be as much a factor keeping it all together.

It’s not our typical set of fly aways that take all involved away from their families outside of racing for a month and tax the mental and physical stamina of the riders and then let’s them recover to contemplate doing it all again for another year.

What we are about to see kicked off in a weeks time, is multiple times that, and we’ve seen how emotions can boil over on track in past at conclusion of such a stint that will just be one leg of the remainder of this season.

Keeping focused, and even keeping straight what was learned for one weekend to next without it all becoming a blur are going to expose some aspects we don’t usually get to see.

Heck I don’t even know if I’m up for it to be able to watch all that’s fixin to come our way ! :)

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:54 am
Jorge Martin has tested positive http://everythingmotoracing.com/2020/09 ... CI6NOWaGac
Oh dear. We'll have to hope it's a one off and then continue as normal as it was for Perez in F1.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Well that's a bugger for him if that's the case, he was really making a charge up through the points table and had a lot of momentum.