Moto GP schedual and the corona virus...

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Mikesbytes

Re: Moto GP schedual and the corona virus...

Post by Mikesbytes »

Mugello cancelled. Even the MotoGP European championship is under risk
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

We might see this next week;
July 19 – Jerez
July 26 – Jerez
August 9 – Brno
August 16 – Spielberg
August 23 – Spielberg
September 13 – Misano
September 20 – Misano
September 27 – Aragon
October 4 – Aragon
October 11 – Le Mans
October 15 – Catalunya

CLX

Post by CLX »

I hope it's okay to post this here.
Check out this chat. Lots of good stuff with Suppo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Was hoping to see a discount for Motogp.com....NOPE. 160$ USD till Nov 2020.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Bit rubbish isn't it.. I see I've got a free extension until the start of the 2021 season... :|

Better than nothing I suppose, will wait to see how many races we actually get and if it's just a handful hopefully they will extend the video pass over into next year.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

While Europe is doing better than the US, there is still way too many new cases. It makes me wonder as to the feasibility of this season

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I asked Matt Oxley about this on Twitter as he had written a piece (I think Motorsports mag) about the measures being put in place.

It sounds like testing every day for all riders and team personnel, if you're infected then you're out. What's not clear is if that then implicates the rest of your team - or what happens if a couple of key mechanics (or a rider?) get infected. Is it like the schools system they are trying to run in the UK, where that 'group' is then excluded from the event? They are apparently completely cutting off accommodation and catering from local people however which sounds a good move.

Another interesting point is that apparently all journalists and photographers are not allowed to attend. A group of journos apparently submitted a plan as to who some of them could attend on a rota and be as safe as possible - apparently some thought went into it - but Dorna weren't interested and just chucked the paper. Not very good, if there is a way of doing it safely you would think Dorna would be on top of that sort of thing.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:44 pm
It sounds like testing every day for all riders and team personnel, if you're infected then you're out. What's not clear is if that then implicates the rest of your team - or what happens if a couple of key mechanics (or a rider?) get infected. Is it like the schools system they are trying to run in the UK, where that 'group' is then excluded from the event? They are apparently completely cutting off accommodation and catering from local people however which sounds a good move.
There is no way to get the risk of infection down to zero. The best they can do - and enough in my opinion - is to have a strategy that makes cases reasonably unlikely, and which if something does go wrong makes it likely that any spreading of the disease will be limited.

In F1 they are supposedly applying 'bubbles' where not all team members will meet all other team members, and there is supposedly less mixing between teams. (Not sure that was happening on the pit wall at the end of the race.

With full testing of team personnel and a few other strategies, the risk of cases and ease of spread will both be reduced, and I think worth that smaller risk.

What I'm concerned about are when races are opened up to an audience. Because audiences won't consistently apply safety measures.

Merlin

Notice that Austin COTA race is canceled Re: Moto GP schedual and the corona virus...

Post by Merlin »

Just received my notice from Circuit of the Americas that the Austin MotoGP is canceled (text only - minus the pretty pictures...)

from info@circuitoftheamericas.com

MotoGP Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas Update

Big news! The fastest bikes in the world will return next year for an even bigger and better MotoGP Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas on April 16-18, 2021! This year's event on November 13-15, 2020 has been canceled.

Your purchase will be automatically rolled over to the 2021 event. In addition, you'll receive a limited-edition commemorative MotoGP poster at next year's race. These posters will not be for sale at any other point in time.

While we greatly appreciate the ongoing support and patronage as fans, we recognize that some ticket holders may need a refund. If you wish to receive one, please contact us with your account ID before October 1, 2020. Please allow up to 30 days for your refund to be issued.

A COTA Team member will be following up with you over the next two weeks to discuss options available.

Stay well, and we hope to be racing again soon!

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

You only have to look at the disaster that's happened in the US, though some of the countries we live in are pretty bad too. I'm in Australia and the virus spread is way lower than just about everywhere else, only New Zealand and China are doing better at the moment. Despite the low levels in Australia we have had to lock down a state (Victoria) and this is playing havoc with the sport, some of the soccer teams failed to get out of Victoria befoire the lockdown (cancelled flights). I've heard that the Victorian AFL league (hugely popular in Victoria and other places in Australia) is being played outside of Victoria, need to verify that one. ASBK is looking even more dead.

Europe has a heap of virus problems, I don't see any major country there that is significantly on top of the virus so I recon that despite all the processes put in place to protect MotoGP 100% and when someone does test positive the only realistic process is to block out that cell which is likely to result in someone not racing. We could look at this in 2 ways, if a rider is injured the racing continues and that rider misses out on points they may of acquired if they did race. Could we view the missing rider in the same fashion or do we do something else such as cancel the event or downgrade it to a non championship race?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:49 am
Europe has a heap of virus problems, I don't see any major country there that is significantly on top of the virus so I recon that despite all the processes put in place to protect MotoGP 100% and when someone does test positive the only realistic process is to block out that cell which is likely to result in someone not racing. We could look at this in 2 ways, if a rider is injured the racing continues and that rider misses out on points they may of acquired if they did race. Could we view the missing rider in the same fashion or do we do something else such as cancel the event or downgrade it to a non championship race?
I think the best solution is to continue racing, and if one of the teams is missing for an event or even two (compressed season and two week isolation period) then they don't get points. I think the risk otherwise would be that far too many races get downgraded to non-championship or cancelled. This may well put an asterisk on the results of any season we get But, I'm not sure the alternatives are any better. It would certainly focus the teams and riders on safety, but hopefully not enough that they fake negative tests somehow.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

I think the elephant in the room is that it will still be about in 2021. At which point, it is going to be a case of living with it, not having a holding position until it blows over...

I think we have to accept a few years of MotoGP in a bubble which is easy to fall out of and harder to get back into

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

For this year you can imagine one team being struck out during the weekend, but what happens if a few of the top guys can't race? I can already see the protest by an angry David Tardozzi waving papers in Mike Webb's face..
Hopefully not some kind of farcical situation like Italy in the late 80s when none of the factory guys could race and only 10 riders on the grid? (One that was won by Frankie Chili)

I'm sure you can split the individual teams somewhat (Yamaha will have some experience there!) but how do you cope with things like Ohlins, Michelin guys travelling between teams in the pits?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:14 pm
For this year you can imagine one team being struck out during the weekend, but what happens if a few of the top guys can't race? I can already see the protest by an angry David Tardozzi waving papers in Mike Webb's face..
Hopefully not some kind of farcical situation like Italy in the late 80s when none of the factory guys could race and only 10 riders on the grid? (One that was won by Frankie Chili)

I'm sure you can split the individual teams somewhat (Yamaha will have some experience there!) but how do you cope with things like Ohlins, Michelin guys travelling between teams in the pits?
I would hope that the teams would agree to the way that the season will be run before the season starts. That way things would be fair for everyone.

If we end up with a race where no factory guys can race, then I'd be looking forward to the Miller versus Quartararo battle.

Surely the teams realise the season and sport are in deep doodoo and teams have to cooperate to get us any season at all.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Maybe we have a situation where everyone drops their worst x rounds?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Looks like the US GP will be cancelled https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93901 ... d19-crisis Who would want to race there with 50,000 new infections per day. Also you would probably need 14 days quarantine when you leave

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes especially where the US race is taking place in Austin, which sounds like it is one of the worst-hit areas of the US.

I'm not sure how the AMA is managing, they have had some races already are they still going ahead?
Fingernails wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:13 pm
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:

I would hope that the teams would agree to the way that the season will be run before the season starts. That way things would be fair for everyone.

If we end up with a race where no factory guys can race, then I'd be looking forward to the Miller versus Quartararo battle.

Surely the teams realise the season and sport are in deep doodoo and teams have to cooperate to get us any season at all.
Yes you would hope so! I think a lot will depend on IRTA, the MRA etc. coming to agreement.

If we have a situation where a GP gets cancelled (maybe half the teams can't race or something similar) I can imagine races becoming GP-class only, perhaps.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

In formula one, they have emphasised testing. They say they have had 8000 tests, but no positives so far.

There is no audience at the races. At the Styrian GP, they showed people on a hillside watching the race from outside the track. There didn't appear to be much social distancing going on even in that small group. I would expect a full sized audience, with no consistent testing and flagrant social distancing breaking down, to be an utter disaster in terms of spreading the virus. The teams have a strong motivation, follow rules, and make as sure as they can that team members don't catch the virus and damage the team.

F1's experience makes me think even more that having the races, but not having an audience, and to have loads of testing, is the way forward.
Last edited by Fingernails on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Hopefully MotoGP will follow suit and there will be incident-free weekends.

I'm not quite sure the racing culture and riders are the same though between sports. F1 a lot of the guys will have been isolating in their 10-acre country houses and travelling by helicopter (to exaggerate a bit ;) )

With GPs you can imagine a lot more of them (the younger lads especially) being tempted to go out and party. I know they shouldn't, and most will be too sensible, but just remembering here what happened with the Tennis world tour where you ended up with a bunch of the top guys getting infected and having to cancel the tournament..

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
He'll have to do it from 2m away, even for an Italian that will take a lot of the force out of it... :mrgreen:

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

They seem to be taking a serious effort at keeping the virus away. Only faults I've observed so far was they did take their masks off for a quick photo and some of the riders took that opportunity to talk to each other while that happened and Dovi's mask didn't fit properly. One of the presenters had an issue with his mask keeping sliding down and having to push it back up. Of course I haven't seen what's happening behind the scenes in the way of hygiene but they did talk about a large document outlining the processes.

My question is if someone tests positive is it just that person who is out or is it the entire team?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I've heard there's a second wave in Spain, terrible

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

There's nothing for it but to move all the remaining races to New Zealand! :D

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:36 am
They seem to be taking a serious effort at keeping the virus away. Only faults I've observed so far was they did take their masks off for a quick photo and some of the riders took that opportunity to talk to each other while that happened and Dovi's mask didn't fit properly. One of the presenters had an issue with his mask keeping sliding down and having to push it back up. Of course I haven't seen what's happening behind the scenes in the way of hygiene but they did talk about a large document outlining the processes.

My question is if someone tests positive is it just that person who is out or is it the entire team?
I've tried asking a few journalists on social media about this and haven't had a reply - will post it here if I do.

The best example I saw of what you say was Vinales caught eating an ice cream on camera, saw that he had been spotted and immediately put his mask back up - was quite amusing. Like you say not completely convinced how effective it all is (I think a lot of it is to help set a good example for the public - which I don't think is a bad thing) and if one mechanic or rider gets it they will surely have to re-test the whole team.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:07 pm
I've tried asking a few journalists on social media about this and haven't had a reply - will post it here if I do.

The best example I saw of what you say was Vinales caught eating an ice cream on camera, saw that he had been spotted and immediately put his mask back up - was quite amusing. Like you say not completely convinced how effective it all is (I think a lot of it is to help set a good example for the public - which I don't think is a bad thing) and if one mechanic or rider gets it they will surely have to re-test the whole team.
Both of MotoGP and Formula One have lots of examples of breaking social distance etc.

However, the important part of all this is that the personnel at track - utterly everyone - are regularly tested, isolate if they have symptoms, and limit their exposure to the outside world. If that happens, then the risk of anyone actually having the infection is small, and they could all lick the insides of each other's helmets with almost no risk that it would be spreading coronavirus.

I think it's inevitable that someone will eventually get infected. It'll then be interesting to see how quickly and well that is handled. But, so far, so good.