Moto GP schedual and the corona virus...

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Mikesbytes

Re: Moto GP schedual and the corona virus...

Post by Mikesbytes »

It strikes me that if the season does occur then many of the more northern european races could get cancelled as the end of summer is already packed out and even if there is a slot it might be taken by some other motorsport, for example Le Mans as noted in the article on the front page

Some sports have cancelled their entire season
My signature isn't particularly interesting

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

The Spanish GP from Jerez has now also been postponed. No real surprise there.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:49 pm
Which sports?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:38 pm
Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:49 pm
Which sports?
At the national level, not international. Basket ball, Rugby that sort of things. I suppose there's nothing to stop them reversing the decision if things change for the better

roogazza

Post by roogazza »

season is buggered,I know you're all hopeful but ? :( :(

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

roogazza wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:23 am
season is buggered,I know you're all hopeful but ? :( :(
And your in lock down with only reruns to watch, about as exciting as Queen st, Auckland

https://www.facebook.com/AucklandDistri ... 846660185/

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

I was under the impression that the FIM requires at least 13 rounds to be run for a valid championship. I believe that to be the case. Pit Beirer was quoted today as saying that he thought they should run a 10 round championship all in Europe, but as far as I am aware that championship would not meet FIM regs. ??

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Japhrodisiac wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:22 pm
I was under the impression that the FIM requires at least 13 rounds to be run for a valid championship. I believe that to be the case. Pit Beirer was quoted today as saying that he thought they should run a 10 round championship all in Europe, but as far as I am aware that championship would not meet FIM regs. ??
Races, not rounds. They could easily have two race weekends to reach the minimum number of races.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

F1 has said that they could run the series thru to January and I'm assuming that something similar for MotoGP is a possibility

What circuits are suitable to run a race in December, January?
- Phillip island
- Eastern creek
South Africa? South America?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:44 pm
F1 has said that they could run the series thru to January and I'm assuming that something similar for MotoGP is a possibility

What circuits are suitable to run a race in December, January?
- Phillip island
- Eastern creek
South Africa? South America?
Could they use tracks not currently on the calendar?

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Get a big airfield, and lots of cones, then lay out any circuit you want, like a big Scalextric...

What state is Kyalami in these days?

Any southern hemisphere track should be investigated.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

It's looking as if the esports is all we're going to get, and Alex Marquez is a shoe-in for the championship unless Bagnaia can move up a level.
Last edited by Fingernails on Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Various articles have given me the impression that MotoGP organisers have handled the situation a lot better than F1 organisers have handled it. This article sums it up a little

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-ne ... -outbreak/

Apical

Post by Apical »

G'day all.
Mikesbytes,"What circuits are suitable to run a race in December, January? - Phillip island - Eastern creek
South Africa? South America?" interesting question.

The Bend in South Australia is a good, new circuit with great facilities. Eastern Creek is better than nothing. I would be interesting to compare the times from 1996, which was the last time there was a 500cc GP at the creek.

Teams could fly into Sydney, do a GP at Sydney motorsport park (SMSP). That is what they call it now. then a road trip to The Bend, then a convoy to Phillip island then fly out of Melbourne.

Then off to Africa, Kyalami, Welkom. If you have watched Vale do the business in 2004, his first race on the Yamaha, then you have seen that Phakisa is a good track. Or it was. 16 years ago, probably a shopping mall by now. Looks like the gold mine is still in operation.

There are at least two homologated circuits in Argentina. Interlagos in Brazil is good enough for formula yawn.

Maybe South America then Africa then Oz. By then (who knows when) it would be winter in the northern hemisphere. Most could stay in Aussie & delight in our summer. Stay safe & wash your hands.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Did I not read somewhere that the Oz government have suggested no sport this year, possibly next?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Thanks Apical, I'll put the 2004 race on the bucket list to watch https://youtu.be/7mtxR8ATIXw

I haven't heard about Australia banning sport till the end of the year. Various codes have been talking about return dates. Suppose it all depends on how the virus management goes

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:40 pm
Thanks Apical, I'll put the 2004 race on the bucket list to watch https://youtu.be/7mtxR8ATIXw
I watched it last night actually - BT Sport are doing a series of best races ever and Welkom 2004 was the first one shown, but the episodes are nearly 4 hours long so I'm doing them bit by bit... wish I had the time to binge it all!

If you're a fan of MotoGP, I'd urge you to watch some of the classics. It's easily forgotten how special that win was... new bike, very little testing, fastest in every session, pole position and the win after Yamaha not winning for almost 2 years. I am sure that win was 99% determination to prove the doubters wrong. He was 36 seconds ahead of Abe (the next Yamaha), with 6 Honda's and a Ducati between them.

Jerez 2005 was the second one... I personally didn't think it was THAT special of a race, it's the incident on the last corner which is why it gets brought up. That incident... the door was open, in 2005 it was 'racing'... I think in 2020 it would be a penalty.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

One of the cost cutting proposals is to reduce the weekend from 4 days to 3 days by removing one practice session on Friday's to accommodate Thursday's fluff among other cost savings

https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/04/09/mot ... -days.html

I hadn't thought about this idea as a cost saving, its probably showing how bad things are financially for MotoGP

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Things will be beyond tight for teams and sponsors. Goal will be to figure out how to keep their payrolls going and get their transport costs covered.

I'd suspect minimizing days could be a way to reduce the man hours on location each round but I would say not a sustainable one. People will move on to other things that pay more if can't make their ends anylonger. Once everyone's gotten there, I say pitch a tent and let'em run. Heck do back to back weekends. No one else is using the tracks...

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Doesn't sound like Herve has any idea's on how to cut costs further https://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/93 ... whats-next

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MotoGP is hoping that closed door races, minimal staff, and comprehensive testing will allow racing to resume.

https://motomatters.com/news/2020/04/17 ... ith_a.html

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93780 ... oors-races

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

It’s worth a try. I recall some years ago where F1 ran at Austin as the fans were kept out of track due to concerns from lightning. Ticked a lot of people off cause they paid to be there, but aside from that on TV it didn’t make a hill of beans difference.

I wonder how much people will fear liabilities for holding events even when you get passed all the travel stuff. I also wonder whether riders would want to risk a trip to the hospital. It seems trivial that someone who risks their neck might worry about that but I think there’s a distinct difference, and their minds may think the same, between a risk they can see and manage and one they can’t and aren’t sure how to avoid.

I myself can’t wait for our local races and trackdays to open up again. But I’m not crazy about going to the doctors office or anywhere near a hospital for even a check up. Funny thing is my wife feels the opposite. Go figure.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Tourn46 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:09 pm
..[snip] It's easily forgotten how special that win was... new bike, very little testing, fastest in every session, pole position and the win after Yamaha not winning for almost 2 years. I am sure that win was 99% determination to prove the doubters wrong. He was 36 seconds ahead of Abe (the next Yamaha), with 6 Honda's and a Ducati between them...[snip]
Thought to add a bit to this I read in recent article in Roadracingworld (link below).

I clipped in a couple paragraphs for just this portion talking about the Yamaha and thought to post it as it shoes a different perspective more related to bike set up and configuration. Was interesting as much has been said about other changes to the bike and engine but I hadn’t heard this angle before. Shows lots of how a rider and crew can contribute to the package and as such I wouldn’t expect to be shared immediately either.

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/fe ... ino-rossi/

Tumi

Post by Tumi »

Just a moment ago here in Finland the ban on public events for over 500 people was extended to end of July so Kymiring round has also gone.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Tumi wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:56 pm
Just a moment ago here in Finland the ban on public events for over 500 people was extended to end of July so Kymiring round has also gone.
It would be possible to run a single class to keep it under 500. 12 teams restricted to 25 per team = 300. It would be tight to keep it under 500 but is just possible. Realistically postponing would be a better option.

It's looking like the Czech Republic on 9th August could be the first race, though there are slots in the summer break that could be used. There's currently 9 races scheduled between the 9th August and the 29th November, however there are slots available in between;
23rd August, 6th September, 20th September would suit races in Europe
11th October would suit Asia
8th November would suit Asia or the America's
And there's the potential to run 6th and 13th December

Another possibility is to run 2 races in 2 weeks in either Japan or Australia or both by moving Malaysia back by one week. I'm assuming that Japan has 2 tracks of world standard, which Australia has and that Malaysia has only 1