Iannone fails drug test and has been suspended

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
WayneG

Iannone fails drug test and has been suspended

Post by WayneG »

It is being reported that Andrea Iannone has had his license provisionally suspended as of today (17/11/2019) after failing a mandatory drug test at the Malaysian GP. The alleged drug is unspecified and he has the right to appeal the decision.

https://www.mcnews.com.au/andrea-iannone-doping/
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

jimv

Re: Iannone fails drug test and has been suspended

Post by jimv »

Andrea - so much talent, so little focus. If the B sample confirms the test he's probably finished in the MotoGP paddock

CLX

Post by CLX »

And beyond.

Hopefully it''ll be sorted.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

My money is on his lawyer (s) arguing "tainted supplements" or "tainted meds" post facial reconstruction...or whatever else he has done.
he gets away with it. :ugeek:
. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

atropos

Post by atropos »

Some outlets are reporting he tested positive for anabolic steroids.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

atropos wrote:Some outlets are reporting he tested positive for anabolic steroids.
That's what the article says - Exogenous Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS). I think that's standard roids used for building muscle
My signature isn't particularly interesting

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

He is a [emoji107] [emoji573]
(dud rocket)

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Well that’s another open seat in MotoGP that was not expected...

I think it goes to show riders are at equal risk of having a career ending antidoping test like this as they are a career ending crash. The way these things go he’s effectively finished from any competition.

First thought is whether test rider role would be possible. Certainly for private tests but could get a little grey if we are talking Official Dorna/IRTA Tests which fall under a section of the rule book where compliance with Medical Code is mentioned.

That said the Medical Code itself says “The requirements of the Medical Code must be met at all FIM World Championship Grand Prix (FIM WC GP) events.” So it leaves some room for at least the conversation by only referring to the competitive events.

Either way Aprilla and their parent company would need to be willing to stand behind him to take any further PR exposure on it. From an irony point of view Iannone crashed out of the Malaysia race he was tested at. So can’t really say his performance was enhanced by any of this..

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Iannone has requested the B sample to be tested. It the B sample proves positive there's still the possibility of using it was a mistake argument. Sean has posted that this is unlikely to be successful. Steroids are used to help with injury repair amongst other things

CLX

Post by CLX »

This is an unintended consequence of a larger calendar, less proper rest time and more pressure to maintain peak condition year long.

Perhaps an uninformed doctor prescribed something and he didn't double check. Who would have?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

^^Really? This is the same bloke who missed testing because he was more concerned about his looks than his job.
I'd say steroids for the purpose of enhancing his looks is a far more plausible scenario.

Move him on to the Twittersphere and get someone on that bike who values the opportunity.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I too are inclined to think the taking of the substance is deliberate. Having said that, if it was deliberate then its plain stupid, they get regular tests so he would of known the risks.

On the accidental side the team would be well aware of what happened to Ant West so if it was accidental then the team is to blame as well as Iannone

Elton

Post by Elton »

Very overrated anyway. Apart from occasional flashes of brilliance he's generally been outperformed by all his teammates.

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

Elton wrote:Very overrated anyway. Apart from occasional flashes of brilliance he's generally been outperformed by all his teammates.
I agree. There's plenty of young guns waiting for a ride. Let them have a go.

hdot

Post by hdot »

CLX wrote:This is an unintended consequence of a larger calendar, less proper rest time and more pressure to maintain peak condition year long.

Perhaps an uninformed doctor prescribed something and he didn't double check. Who would have?
It's no consequence of anything but Andrea's poor choices. Everyone is on the same calendar. Why is he the only one to get popped?

We will see what comes of his appeal.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Outcome of the B sample is due on the 7th January

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

So the B sample is back and its positive to a very low quantity of drostanolone. The lawyers will argue that it's due to eating some contaminated meat in Asia.

snowman

Post by snowman »

Looking at his instagram, he sure spends a lot of time in the weight room, good for his modeling gig.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

https://www.visordown.com/news/racing/m ... ban-trauma

Would the ban bring him to quit motorcycle racing or would he look like an alternative such as Brazilian WSB. As bizarre as it stands, it become Ant Wests only option

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Ant West was also forced out of the Brazilian championship after pressure was placed on the organisers by the FIM. If Ianone's appeal fails (likely IMO), he will find it virtually impossible to get a ride in any competition until the ban expires. Even acting as a test rider is not allowed.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

I would make the case that testing should be allowed based on the medical codes refernce to competive events.

That said, there was also James Stewart supercross who tried to race in a non FIM series after his provisional suspension (while awaiting his case to be heard) and the FIM pressured their organizers preventing him from doing so. The FIM them used the couple races he started before they got involved against him in his case ruling staring it as a sign of disregard for their medical code and not honoring his suspension and threw the book at him even though it was outside and beyond their jurisdiction.

So whether he can or can't test by the book is almost irrelevent, as everything and anything he does from this point fwd can and will be used against him later when his case is heard, and the extent the FIM either goes after him or gives him a break will depend on how he acts and how much support he gets from higher places.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

It's difficult to see how using drugs could give you a competitive advantage in testing so I can't see a reason why manufactures couldn't use Iannone for testing. Are test riders drug tested?

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

It no longer has anything to do with gaining an advantage. The penalty for a doping violation is a ban from ALL FIM sanctioned events and activities. AFAIK MotoGP testing still comes under FIM rules and as such would be a banned activity.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

WayneG wrote:It no longer has anything to do with gaining an advantage. The penalty for a doping violation is a ban from ALL FIM sanctioned events and activities. AFAIK MotoGP testing still comes under FIM rules and as such would be a banned activity.
That's how I understand the rules, I'm not agreeing with them. Do we drug test the mechanics?

What is clear is that if you are an elite sports person then you need to check everything you consume and keep a detailed log of that consumption

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Mikesbytes wrote: What is clear that if you are an elite sports person then you need to check everything you consume and keep a detailed log of that consumption
With the nature of the type of steroid he has been pinged for (not generally used with livestock) I have severe doubts that it found its way into his system due to something he "consumed". I doubt we will ever know for sure but I would be very surprised if his appeal is upheld.