R18 Malaysian GP Sepang

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Re: R18 Malaysian GP Sepang

Post by Fingernails »

There were quite a few nasty looking crashes in Moto3. Suzuki in particular was lucky not to be hit harder or fully run over after his fall. In light of there already having been a fatality at the racetrack this weekend, this is sobering.

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

Refreshing to see someone not named Marc Marquez gap the field and win. Mav did a great job, especially considering the top speed deficit of the Yamaha.

What happened to the Petronas bikes?

Zarco turned in a respectable performance.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

gwcrim wrote:Refreshing to see someone not named Marc Marquez gap the field and win. Mav did a great job, especially considering the top speed deficit of the Yamaha.

What happened to the Petronas bikes?

Zarco turned in a respectable performance.
What they lack in top speed they clearly more than make up for elsewhere.
As much as Rossi is going on about the top speed I doubt he (or many others) would be willing to sacrifice front end feeling for more top speed like Honda has had to do this year. I know we like to think of top speed as ‘free time’ but when it comes at the cost of corner speed etc. it’s not free at all. It’s great for a ready, built in excuse though.

hdot

Post by hdot »

Zarco looked very good out there

Redglare

Post by Redglare »

hdot wrote:Zarco looked very good out there
He did, unfortunate how it ended for him. Surely if he rides well at Valencia they’ll be looking at replacing Lorenzo with him?

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

Redglare wrote:Surely if he rides well at Valencia they’ll be looking at replacing Lorenzo with him?
One would sure think so.

Isn't Valencia Jorge's home track? He would be expected to do well there.

herbs

Post by herbs »

Taka would surely have first dibs on a promotion as he's already had good results. Still think Jorge will be there next year though. Plus for the bitching about Marc and his overtaking, rins has smashed into a fair number of riders this year. Where's the outrage?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I don't want to see Lorenzo at Honda next year tooling around at the back. I can't believe that will happen. Either Lorenzo will be able to raise his game, or either Honda or Lorenzo (or both) will pull the plug. Surely.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

gwcrim wrote:What happened to the Petronas bikes?
Both Petronas bikes did really good, it just wasn't the podium performance we have got use to. Morbidelli was first independent

While Zarco's off wasn't his fault, was there any scope for him to have reacted to Mir's error? I've only see one camera angle and think there was nothing that Zarco could of done from the angle I saw. Anyway its evidence that if Lorenzo isn't riding next year then Zarco is a prime candidate
My signature isn't particularly interesting

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

No "bowling ball" no knocking people out of the way.

With respect to Jorge, one of the conspiracy theories relating to his Honda contract, was that they had bought him to remove a threat to MM's (and Honda's) title aspirations.
Releasing him would negate that as ever being remotely plausible.

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

warthog1 wrote:With respect to Jorge, one of the conspiracy theories relating to his Honda contract, was that they had bought him to remove a threat to MM's (and Honda's) title aspirations.
Releasing him would negate that as ever being remotely plausible.
Nothing like a good conspiracy theory. Now that he's all banged up and over the hill, he's no threat to MM at all. Using this theory, they would be poaching Fabio now. Or Zarco :?: :?: :?:

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

Put JL on a Yamaha and he'd still be fast I imagine.
The fact that Zarco has come to grips with the Honda shows what a god awful pos that ktm must be.
Don't know that he'd be quite so quick on the '19 Honda however

zelot

Post by zelot »

Apparently Fabio's problem in the race was the front tyre temperature went up too much and made him lose feeling. Ironically all through practice and qualifying he couldn't get enough heat, and then in the race too much. Probably as a result of being in a rookie team without all the experience necessary to make the minor tweaks to cope with race day temperatures and full tanks.

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2019/1 ... _pace.html

GraPie

Post by GraPie »

Mikesbytes wrote:
gwcrim wrote:What happened to the Petronas bikes?
Both Petronas bikes did really good, it just wasn't the podium performance we have got use to. Morbidelli was first independent
I completely agree.
Petronas Yamaha have set the bar so high for themselves with how well they have consistently performed that sixth and seventh seems very disappointing.
In reality, sixth and seventh is an outstanding result for a satellite team. Aprilla or LCR Management would be doing backflips out of the paddock if both of their riders finished in the top 10.

GP

Emoo

Post by Emoo »

I've never really understood the hyperbole around Zarco, as my previous posts will confirm but I can't help but be impressed with his performances on the Honda over the last few rounds. An apparent dog to get to grips with it you are to believe Cal and Lorenzo and why shouldn't we.

Whatever happened at KTM happened but I wonder if stepping off the Yamaha to the KTM was such a step change in what was required for his him that led him to the position he is in now, has actually helped him once he threw a leg over the Honda? That of course doesn't explain the JLo predicament other than to say JLo has never consistantly appear to be at ease with the Honda and his injuries are holding him back.

Pleased to see MM able to race after Qualifying, disappointed to hear and see some comments after his crash, some people are clearly morons. Good performance from him on Sunday too. Also really pleased to see Maverick delivering on some levels in the last few races. Long may it continue.

Anyone have a theory on what has happened at Ducati. The don't seem to be getting the results they showed last year or promise from earlier in the season, especially the second factory.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Emoo wrote: Anyone have a theory on what has happened at Ducati. The don't seem to be getting the results they showed last year or promise from earlier in the season, especially the second factory.
I think that Honda and Yamaha have out-developed Ducati. Ducati were once a bit of a one-trick pony with their powerful engine. Honda have matched or exceeded that power, and have Marc who can ride their poor-handling bike. Which may go to explain past history - Ducatis that are only consistently competitive in the hands of one exceptionally talented rider. Perhaps lots of power and poor handling. Yamaha are way behind Ducati in power, but have focussed on their strengths in handling and rideability. This has allowed them to now get better lap times than Ducati on most tracks.

Ducatis now have more strengths than just their engine I suppose, but even so, I think they've been leap-frogged. I'd also hazard to say that Ducati do not have the best pair of riders among the factories.

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

Honda definitely stepped up in the HP department. That was Ducati's strong point last year. Dovi has done pretty well on it. After all, he's #2 in points. Mav has learned to love the Yamaha as is, instead of change it every week.

I agree with Fingernails. Sure would have been interesting to see how a happy, healthy Jorge would have done on the Duc.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

On Saturday when I watched Moto GP qualifying Marquez went down in my estimation somewhat with the persistent following of Quartararo, I almost felt the crash was karma. He went even further down in my estimation when he came out with the bovine faeces quip about it not being FQ he was looking for a tow from. I really thought he was better than all of this..........

and he is. All was redeemed in his post race interview ( on BT Sport) when he found time to pay tribute to young Munandar, the mark of a true gentleman. I felt all of the disappointment of the previous day went away and I again had huge respect for him as a person. It would be remiss of me not to mention that Alex Marquez also found the time to mention Munandar amongst his post race championship winning interview too as well as Vinales dedicating his win to him.

RIP Afridza

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

There's a couple of riders at the pointy end we haven't discussed much at all, I start with Vinales;

Vinales: He seems to have finally learnt that you can't preserve the tyres as much at the beginning of race and expect to win in the latter part of the race. Also he seems to of realised that if possible then get a gap on Marquez so he doesn't need to fight with him on the last lap. Of course this logic also requires you to be fast at that particular track

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:There's a couple of riders at the pointy end we haven't discussed much at all, I start with Vinales;

Vinales: He seems to have finally learnt that you can't preserve the tyres as much at the beginning of race and expect to win in the latter part of the race. Also he seems to of realised that if possible then get a gap on Marquez so he doesn't need to fight with him on the last lap. Of course this logic also requires you to be fast at that particular track
I thought that Vinales' race was a masterclass of winning by controlling a race, and moderating pace to win at the slowest possible speed. I don't think that MM's grid position had anything to do with it given how quickly MM got to within a second and a half of Vinales. Vinales simply rode at a speed which meant that MM couldn't catch up, and didn't make any mistakes. (That I saw.)

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Schwantz34 wrote:On Saturday when I watched Moto GP qualifying Marquez went down in my estimation somewhat with the persistent following of Quartararo, I almost felt the crash was karma. He went even further down in my estimation when he came out with the bovine faeces quip about it not being FQ he was looking for a tow from. I really thought he was better than all of this..........

and he is. All was redeemed in his post race interview ( on BT Sport) when he found time to pay tribute to young Munandar, the mark of a true gentleman. I felt all of the disappointment of the previous day went away and I again had huge respect for him as a person. It would be remiss of me not to mention that Alex Marquez also found the time to mention Munandar amongst his post race championship winning interview too as well as Vinales dedicating his win to him.

RIP Afridza
do you think that Marquez was trying to intimidate Quartararo or just get a fast tow?

zelot

Post by zelot »

I think Marquez would have taken a tow from any of the Yamahas. He knew they were all quick, so a tow from one of them to drag himself on to the front row would have been perfect. From there his race tactics would have been different, trying to disrupt the rhythm of the Yamahas on the first lap and see what he could do from there. As we know it didn't quite work like that, and Maverick was just the right side of aggressive to get himself into the lead early enough to escape the threat of Marquez.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Schwantz34 wrote:On Saturday when I watched Moto GP qualifying Marquez went down in my estimation somewhat with the persistent following of Quartararo, I almost felt the crash was karma. He went even further down in my estimation when he came out with the bovine faeces quip about it not being FQ he was looking for a tow from. I really thought he was better than all of this..........

RIP Afridza
do you think that Marquez was trying to intimidate Quartararo or just get a fast tow?
To be honest Mike I think both. Like I said on another thread I think Marquez is starting to play games with Quartararo to mess with his head, this includes things he has said as well as on track antics. Sometimes it's nice to see David getting one over on Goliath though :D

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Great to see Vinales pulling out his quickest lap of race in the first few laps. After that the pace didn't drop by over a second to end. That is just what yamha has been needing. True they could use some power but that is not a new issue for them. As the tires have develooed it has swung the pendulum back their way. If they went chasing it now they'd be out of sync with where things are going back too.

For ducati this is not the best news as their successes have been directly inverse with Yamahas woes. Right now things are looking alright but have tilted back. I'd suspect players involved are keenly aware as we've been able to see this happening and so would they, but with next years tire it coluld be a rough go again ahead for Ducati.

Lots else could be talked about, but want to echo the condolences for the lost rider in the Asia cup series. I too thought the Moto3 incident was way too close a call. We've had some other lucky get aways in recent times too. No doubt the most hazardous part of racing is when the rider becomes a pedestrian caught up in the middle of an ongoing motorcycle race. Just not sure what can be done about it.

For Marquez and his qualifying tactics. This kind of thing needs to be penalized in some way. I know that's just going to make a bigger wreaking ball come race day, but if your going to enforce rules and penalties on the other categories why them give a pass at the top. There's also tons of grey area here and others need to clean up their act too but these things will go on if not nipped in the bud. This time Marq just took himself out, but that could easliy have not been the case. From what I could see he was no longer on track to compete against the clock but playing some other game.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Puig says that Marquez lost because he spent too much time fighting with Miller. I disagree;
1. Marquez was too far down the start grid
2. Vinales was faster, I doubt that Marquez would of managed to stay with Vinales this race unlike PI

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93355 ... st-marquez