Marquez will win every race he finishes in 2020

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
hdot

Marquez will win every race he finishes in 2020

Post by hdot »

After seeing how he toyed with Mav today, I'm thinking we aren't really seeing the depth of Marc's true speed. He has made another step in his mind-bike connection, and nobody comes close. Who is his threat? The old guard has basically flamed out. The closest thing I can see is Jorge at 100%, which I don't think will ever happen again. Yamaha's guys look strong, but again, he's been toying with them the last few races. Pretend to study them the whole race, then make a last lap dash. I don't think there's anyone left mentioning. Rins can't qualify better than the 4th row. Nobody on Ducati or KTM is even close. It's a miracle if the Aprilias finish a race.

Plus keep in mind Marc has had seasons where he's been strong at the beginning, and strong at the end. So it's possible for him to put it all together the whole way through.

So I'm calling it now. I want to be wrong. But he's been playing with his main threat like a yo-yo. Am I off base on this?

Mikesbytes

Re: Marquez will win every race he finishes in 2020

Post by Mikesbytes »

Not impossible but unlikely. Marquez's best year was a 72% win rate. The only riders who have won 100% are Ago and Surtees a long time ago when there were a lot less races

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... n_a_season
My signature isn't particularly interesting

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

I think you are really underestimating FQ and yamaha, Hdot.
MM openly rates him as his greatest threat.
He is in his rookie year and has been capable of forcing MM to dig deep on a couple of occasions.
Yamaha are showing a preparedness to address the bike issues by hiring an ex magneti-marelli engineer and a big shake up in the race dept.
I can see that combo in particular and the yams in general, giving him more grief next year, not less.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Yamaha have taken a step forward for sure. If Marquez wasn't around, then I'd be expecting a Yamaha champion next year.

Let's see what they can do for their 2020 bike.

Schwantz34

Post by Schwantz34 »

While I'm most certainly not trying to undermine FQs achievements this year, is he definitely the next big thing?
Zarco had a very strong first season on what was a far more customer based Yam than the Petronas team have, Vinales stepped on to the Yam and had a whirlwind start albeit he wasn't a rookie.
Although Marquez says FQ is his biggest challenger I feel like that statement's a ploy to heap pressure on FQ in particular whilst it will also rile the others who view themselves as Marc's closest rival.

I don't think anyone has a patch on the only alien in the class

hdot

Post by hdot »

warthog1 wrote:I think you are really underestimating FQ and yamaha, Hdot.
He is in his rookie year and has been capable of forcing MM to dig deep on a couple of occasions.
Yamaha are showing a preparedness to address the bike issues by hiring an ex magneti-marelli engineer and a big shake up in the race dept.
I can see that combo in particular and the yams in general, giving him more grief next year, not less.
I mean, yes, technically FQ is Marquez' biggest threat, but how big is that threat? I think Schwantz34 nailed it- mind games are nothing new in the paddock and Marquez is playing them on expert mode. His "greatest threat" has yet to beat him in a race, and unless Yamaha makes a huge, unrealistic step next year, I don't see that changing. Marquez talk of rivalries and threats is a ruse IMO.

CLX

Post by CLX »

No way.
I would only bet on that if 10 bucks would reward me a thousand. Tax free.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

I'd take that bet for a dollar, maybe two.

MM is the only true alien anymore but stringing together an undefeated season is VERY tough. Fabio and the Mav are right there and Yamaha seems to be making worthwhile improvements. Dovi on the Duc were quite competitive early on but something seemed to fade.

Is the Suzuki holding back Rins or is Rins holding back the Suzuki? Wonder what Fab, Mav, or Zarco could do on one?

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

hdot wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I think you are really underestimating FQ and yamaha, Hdot.
I mean, yes, technically FQ is Marquez' biggest threat, but how big is that threat? I think Schwantz34 nailed it- mind games are nothing new in the paddock and Marquez is playing them on expert mode. His "greatest threat" has yet to beat him in a race, and unless Yamaha makes a huge, unrealistic step next year, I don't see that changing. Marquez talk of rivalries and threats is a ruse IMO.
He is enough of a threat that Marquez is not going to have it all his own way next year.
Challenge for the title? Maybe not yet and depending on the bike.
Stop MM from winning all of the races? Almost certainly he will have a hand in that next year.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I think it's quite likely that Marc will win the majority of races he finishes in 2020, but every race is a tall order.

There are situations where riders fall off and remount, ending up somewhere near the bottom of the points. So, that's a finish but not a win. Marc has done that occasionally, but not so much recently. This year, he has one retirement and every other race has been a first or a second.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Days like today are why I don’t believe he will win every race that he finishes. No matter how good he is. His top two run against the current competition and machinery is remarkable. But he had nothing for Maverick today, even if he had qualified better I don’t think he had the pace to stay with Maverick for the entire race.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

hdot you were 100% correct with this prediction :D
My signature isn't particularly interesting

hdot

Post by hdot »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:03 pm
hdot you were 100% correct with this prediction :D
My first thought: "well that aged like milk"
My second: "actually I was right on the money" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hoping for a speedy recovery for the little guy. My conspiracy theory about him being an android was definitely wrong.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Bloody hell this was a prescient prediction !

Be interesting to see how (if?) he bounces back in 2021.

A few commentators think he might not be as dominant as he once was due to missing almost a year, and some of the other and younger guys increasing in both belief and speed.

Will sure be interesting to see. Doohan managed to come back and win multiple WCs after awful injuries but then was stopped eventually in 1999. As with the end of Foggy's career, think the will was still there but his body had said no more. I think in the same way a lot depends on whether (mechanically) Marc will be able to ride a bike at full power.