2019 R6 - 2nd June - Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley (Mugello)

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Tourn46

Re: 2019 R6 - 2nd June - Gran Premio d'Italia Oakley (Mugell

Post by Tourn46 »

I thought all 4 Yamaha's were 2019 bikes with FQ's being slightly lower spec (no carbon forks, 500rpm less)?

motor

Post by motor »

Yeah I guess you're right. Remember reading something along those lines, more than once - A-spec bike and B-spec bike
Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Probably spot on Motor

Warmup and suddenly Suzuki is working, even Rabat is getting it working. As usual in recent years its hard to analyse

Only Marquez and beat Marquez
My signature isn't particularly interesting

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

Well if that is Honda and MM's weakest circuit it was not a bad result.
Kudos to the winner.
Well deserved [emoji41]

hdot

Post by hdot »

Damn near want to shed a tear for Petrucci.

Actually, might have to shed a tear for Rossi. What. A. Disaster.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Good race
Hope the the win takes the pressure off the winner for next year
Maverick again gets stronger later in the race. Think he needs a change to re motivate him
Shame for Rossi but he needs to improve his qualifying
Can’t see Lorenzo staying next year. I think hondas patience will start to wear thin and think they would be looking for a place for Alex Marquez if they can
Aprilia and ktm disappointing again. Both the espagaros look faster than the bikes. But it must be hard to motivate yourself
Ianonne must have given up. I would have expected much more in his home gp. Shows maybe redding and lowes were both better than the bike was letting them achieve

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Pol looked impressive early on. I think I saw him running as high as 7th and not too far behind the front group. But, then he faded

For the race I wasn't predicting Petrucci at all. Though with the Ducatis dominating last year and him out qualifying Dovi, it does make sense in hindsight. And great to see Petrux taking on both Marquez and Dovi in a straight fight and winning. I thought Marquez would have it.

I'm disappointed we didn't see more from Quartararo and Morbidelli. It's often exciting to see young rookies going for it.

I was really hoping for a Suzuki win in Moto3. He was hitting the front frequently, but then he dropped down to 8th. I do find the big bunches at the front in the Moto3 races a bit hard to follow sometimes, as it can be quite hard to spot who really has an advantage.

In Moto2 Marquez is finally starting to look like a Marquez. And, as mentioned above, where are the KTMs? Clearly it's Kalex and Speed Up who handed the change of engine best this year. Why?

hdot

Post by hdot »

Man, if you have a MotoGP.com subscription, check out Dovi's OB in T1 on the last lap. These guys are not made from the same material as us.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Go Petrucci. Great race, great everything. Those guys are mental. If only the Suzuki had a few morr ponies.

But still, Petrucci won fair and square. The RC213V has a lot of punch and MM did not hold back.

I jinxed Rossi. My bad. Maybe Quatararo will replace him in 2021. Surely the midfield does not motivate VR.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

CLX

Post by CLX »

If I'm HRC, I'd trick Nakagami into unknowingly testing a full blown 2019 RC213V (just call it a 2020 development bike) and treat it as a job application at the Repsol squad. They can't win the teams title with Lorenzo so far back.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

Lorenzo needs confidence in the front, it seems. The 19 Honda isn't so good on that front according to Cal.
JL took a season to come to grips with the Duke too.
We'll see.
That should see the end of speculation over Miller taking the seat off Petrux next year. He crashes too often imo.
Was MM holding back on the straight until the penultimate lap, and/or did he just throw it into turn 1 deeper on the final lap?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Miller was noticeably slower on certain corners and was pushing the limits elsewhere to make up, I'm not surprised he crashed. Pettrucci not only won but showed he was able to fight

At one point 2 or 3 riders caught the leading 6 and I wondered if these guys on last year bikes were going to get stick into the factory guys in front or not, then they disappeared off the bunch

Nagamaki was brilliant to get it over in 5th on last years Honda

What happened to Crutchlow? did he run out of tyres or was it more a case of the others upping the pace?

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
What happened to Crutchlow? did he run out of tyres or was it more a case of the others upping the pace?
Check this out... on lap 13.

https://twitter.com/CormacGP/status/113 ... 00512?s=17

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

CLX wrote:I jinxed Rossi. My bad. Maybe Quatararo will replace him in 2021. Surely the midfield does not motivate VR.
My worry is that the satellite boys are following more in Vinales footsteps... in that they can throw out a few fast laps when they're not being interrupted (ie... race conditions) and then when it comes to race day they can't reproduce this.

I'm throwing it out there that they're perhaps busy chasing fast times which is seeing them up here in FP, while Old Man 46 is churning out laps to figure out Sunday... which is why we're seeing them flop on a Sunday (in comparison - I think FQ and FM are doing a solid job regardless) and Rossi usually continuing to be top Yamaha in the race - I say this because when Rossi crashed he was the fastest man on track despite being in 21st after getting caught up across the gravel with Mir.

I'm sure they'll get there though, they're doing very well as a rookie and a rider new to Yamaha.

Looks like the M1 is in desperate need of some HP from somewhere, it's embarrassing seeing the bikes just walk past the Yamaha's. Going to be a tough 13 races to come I think.

Rossi was asked directly about his future, his response what that it's been less than a month since he nearly won a race.

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

Tourn46 wrote:
CLX wrote:I jinxed Rossi. My bad. Maybe Quatararo will replace him in 2021. Surely the midfield does not motivate VR.
My worry is that the satellite boys are following more in Vinales footsteps... in that they can throw out a few fast laps when they're not being interrupted (ie... race conditions) and then when it comes to race day they can't reproduce this.

I'm throwing it out there that they're perhaps busy chasing fast times which is seeing them up here in FP, while Old Man 46 is churning out laps to figure out Sunday... which is why we're seeing them flop on a Sunday (in comparison - I think FQ and FM are doing a solid job regardless) and Rossi usually continuing to be top Yamaha in the race - I say this because when Rossi crashed he was the fastest man on track despite being in 21st after getting caught up across the gravel with Mir.

I'm sure they'll get there though, they're doing very well as a rookie and a rider new to Yamaha.

Looks like the M1 is in desperate need of some HP from somewhere, it's embarrassing seeing the bikes just walk past the Yamaha's. Going to be a tough 13 races to come I think.

Rossi was asked directly about his future, his response what that it's been less than a month since he nearly won a race.
You didn't see FQ carve through the field last race?
Hang with MM the race before until his shifter shat the bed?
Give them some time to learn how to save the tyres. Quatararo and Morbidelli are both exciting prospects imo.

Rossi had a shite weekend at Mugello. He was nowhere before he threw it away. Let's see how they all go for the rest of the season.

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

time for a crowdfunding for at least 20 BHP I think. If every Rossi-fan donates 1 euro that should cover it.
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

warthog1 wrote:Quatararo and Morbidelli are both exciting prospects imo.
Uhuh, glad you agree.
warthog1 wrote: Rossi had a shite weekend at Mugello. He was nowhere before he threw it away. Let's see how they all go for the rest of the season.
Yup he did. Lucky for Yamaha, they had all their other riders fighting for the win :?

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

Tourn46 wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Quatararo and Morbidelli are both exciting prospects imo.
Uhuh, glad you agree.
warthog1 wrote: Rossi had a shite weekend at Mugello. He was nowhere before he threw it away. Let's see how they all go for the rest of the season.
Yup he did. Lucky for Yamaha, they had all their other riders fighting for the win :?
The point you made is that they are only fast with a clear track.
Both FQ and FM have provided evidence that is not the case.

Let's see how they all go for the remainder of the season. They will probably all do better than at Mugello ;)

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Well that explains the difference between qualifying and the race. In the comments someone has compared Quartararo to Zarco's first year
Easy to compare results, difficult to compare talent.

2017 Zarco
Qatar DNF
Argentina 5
Austin 5
Jerez 4
Le Mans 2
Mugello 7

2019 Quartararo
Qatar 16
Argentina 8
Austin 7
Jerez DNF
Le Mans 8
Mugello 10

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

Yeah saw that. I can understand his frustration on the KTM. He is not without talent.

hdot

Post by hdot »

Man MotoGP has really been opening up the floodgates

Walk with Petrucci after the race:

http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2019/06 ... sed/295579

If you don't get a little bleary at 3:30 you might not be human

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Fingernails wrote: In Moto2 Marquez is finally starting to look like a Marquez. And, as mentioned above, where are the KTMs? Clearly it's Kalex and Speed Up who handed the change of engine best this year. Why?
I've been suspicious that the high upper enigine mounting point was going to be a challenge with the triumph engine. Ive been looking for photos of the bikes naked, and in crashes, but haven't come across anything yet.

If you look at photos from KTM on their moto3 and their old moto2 frames with the Honda engine they all have low frontal motor mounts. More or less hangers from the frame. The triumph engine, and for that matter a v-layout, will pose the challenge how to hook up without over constraining the front feeling.

As for Marquez, I think the style is much different and may suit him better, but I also quietly wonder if with the increased electronics they have now wether having the better team support to manage it all can now be another area to gain ground over others.

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

kenup283 wrote: ~~~SNIP~~~
I've been suspicious that the high upper enigine mounting point was going to be a challenge with the triumph engine. Ive been looking for photos of the bikes naked, and in crashes, but haven't come across anything yet.
~~~SNIP~~~
others.
I share your suspicion, and I've been wondering how the manufacturers are dealing with that high mount.
The scarcity (or less!) of revealing photos is no accident, IMO.
I'd be interested in any pics you find, including the latest versions of KTM's MotoGP frames, specifically the parts from the swingarm mount up to the shock mount, and the members between the main frame trellis and the front mount.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Interesting discussion on the mounting point. Is it likely that KTM will be able to address this next year?