MotoE

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Mikesbytes

MotoE

Post by Mikesbytes »

https://motomatters.com/press_release/2 ... tails.html

So 5 races all within Europe. That would suggest that test riders will be able to get into the lineup

260Kg - ouch. It sure isn't going to suit midget racers :) I've got some views on this, I'll post later
My signature isn't particularly interesting

bikermike

Re: MotoE

Post by bikermike »

you've gotta start somewhere.

In a pub on the Island, someone drew a curve on the back of a beermat of rise in speeds of petrol bikes v electric bikes. Electric bikes have made the equivalent of 50-odd years progress in the five-ish seasons it's been going (yes, there are lots of other reasons etc)

As long as the racing is competitive it'll be good.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

I find it difficult to see the appeal of MotoE... I know it's ridiculous, just because they're powered by a different motor... but maybe I'm becoming one of the dinosaurs like those who constantly harp on about 2-strokes.

However, I accidently found my self watching a Formula E race the other day and to be honest it was thoroughly entertaining, so much more so than it's more glamourous counterpart... (although still not a patch on motorcycle racing).

I want to be excited and interesting in MotoE, but I am struggling... but for absolutely no reason that makes sense.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

In a nutshell there's 2 major differences and no doubt some minor differences between Moto3/2/GP and MotoE

1. The energy source. Moto3/2/GP uses the expansion of gas caused heat byproduct of a chemical reaction between a liquid chemical and oxygen, which is sourced from the atmosphere. MotoE uses the movement of electrons to rotate an axle using magnetism

The weight of the energy source has the Moto3/2/GP at a disadvantage to MotoE even despite half the energy source not being carried but extracted from the atmosphere as Moto3/2/GP requires atoms to be carried where electrons used in MotoE are considerably lighter. However the real issue is the weight of the storage container is the real issue with the liquid carried by Moto3/2/GP only requiring a relatively light container where electrons need to be stored in a medium such as lithium and its the storage of the electrons that makes MotoE so dam heavy

2. The engine. I don't know a lot on this one, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Minor differences

3. Chassis. Different overall weight and different power characteristics means different chassis.

4. Brakes. Different overall weight...

5. Suspension. Different overall weight....

6. Electronics. Still needs to have anti wheelie etc etc however the settings will be different due to the difference in weight and power characteristics

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

Tourn46 wrote:I find it difficult to see the appeal of MotoE... I know it's ridiculous, just because they're powered by a different motor... but maybe I'm becoming one of the dinosaurs like those who constantly harp on about 2-strokes.

However, I accidently found my self watching a Formula E race the other day and to be honest it was thoroughly entertaining, so much more so than it's more glamourous counterpart... (although still not a patch on motorcycle racing).

I want to be excited and interesting in MotoE, but I am struggling... but for absolutely no reason that makes sense.
Watch McGuiness on the Mugen around the IoM.
It converted me....... And I'm a two stroke dinosaur. ;)
...... Although I stopped banging on about them ages ago.

They (two strokes) are better though.
Ahhhhhh that felt good.

:lol: ;)

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Yeh miss the 2 strokes. The switch to 4 strokes was no doubt partly based on making the bikes a little more relevant to 'Win on Sunday, sell on Monday'

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the decision to run MotoE is partially based on the increasing success of Formula E

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Apparently, Xavier Simeon has been signed on Thursday to Moto E 2019.

Rumours, not denied(!), of Troy Corser on the thing as well!!! Now, THAT would be epic!!

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Corser has been doing this years ASBK and has been doing OK. He destroyed a bike in preseason testing leaving him with only one bike for the season but ASBK is a lot lower budget than, for example BSB. My gut feeling is that Simeon will be quicker than him, having youth on his side but who knows what will happen with MotoE

Do we know of any other riders?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Dynavolt Intact- Jesko Raffin
Angel Nieto - Nico Terol
- Xavier Simeon
- Troy Corser (rumour)
- Bradley Smith (is interested and it doesn't clash with Aprillia testing)
- Randy De Puniet (interested)
- Alex De Angelis (interested)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

While I don't wish to engage in tokenism, I was wondering if MotoE might bring back some of the female riders who made it to Moto3, but no higher in the MotoGP hierarchy.

The list of suggested riders above is reasonable and would be enough to engender interest in the series. For me at least.

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

260 kg, if that's what they weigh, would make it harder for smaller riders to muscle it around.
Might make it tough.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

warthog1 wrote:260 kg, if that's what they weigh, would make it harder for smaller riders to muscle it around.
Might make it tough.
Interesting point.

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

I think Troy would have a serious chance to become the first MotoE World Champion in history. I suspect he has thought about that aspect.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Jagbruno wrote:I think Troy would have a serious chance to become the first MotoE World Champion in history. I suspect he has thought about that aspect.
Would he really beat someone like Bradley Smith, who is younger, isn't slow, and has more recent experience? I'm not saying he wouldn't, but I think my question is valid.

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

We'll have to wait and see.
Hovever, Troy has heaps of experience on very 'different' machines, so adaptability and age might make him faster than many a younger gun... 8-)

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Here’s a look back when FIM had the eWorld TTXGP.

These are all prototypes, the pole lap time is 12% off the motogp pole of that year and on par with 600cc AMA supersport

MotoE is based around production bike and will not be as quick as what you see at IOM TT

Ironically the IOM has the prototype class and GP he production class now when it comes to electric bikes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x0FyjRjIuRM

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

I personally can’t see electric bikes as the future of bike racing
Until people can relate to them as road bikes which are useful and exciting to ride then they will only ever be viewed as a side show
Great to see the technology on them but even on the IAM there are very few teams involved and getting smaller grids every year
I was a electrical engineer and understand the benefits of electric motors but battery technology is no where near where it needs to be to make a viable exciting racing series
Maybe a series for bikes that run on bio fuels would have been a better
After all most people like the sight sound and smell of internal combustion engines

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Shouldn't that weaving resulted in a penalty?

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating
I don't think we've had a full grid of electric bikes anywhere before. When we see 20 of them whirring into the first corner, then we'll know.

I think a one-make series is actually better at first - one of the problems on the island is the vast disparity between front-runner and back-marker
Michael Czysz's untimely death has I think slowed down motoCzysz.

Also, as I've said before, we need to see the opportunities - evening races? city-centre races?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Confirmed
Angel Nieto - Nico Terol
Dynavolt Intact- Jesko Raffin
Gresini - Matteo Ferrari

Speculation
- Xavier Simeon
- Troy Corser (rumour)
- Bradley Smith (is interested and it doesn't clash with Aprillia testing)
- Randy De Puniet (interested)
- Alex De Angelis (interested)

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

I believe Randy De Puniet is a done deal. He will be a contender.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Jagbruno wrote:I believe Randy De Puniet is a done deal. He will be a contender.
Which team?

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Fingernails wrote:
Jagbruno wrote:I think Troy would have a serious chance to become the first MotoE World Champion in history. I suspect he has thought about that aspect.
Would he really beat someone like Bradley Smith, who is younger, isn't slow, and has more recent experience? I'm not saying he wouldn't, but I think my question is valid.
Of course he wouldn't :)

Shouldn't think he would even get within sight of him!

Looking at that line-up so far, would say Bradley has got a good shot at become a World Champion..

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Have you ever seen Troy race in anger? I have.

Don't dismiss him too quickly, seriously.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Troy is currently racing ASBK and appears to be on a low budget, he destroyed a bike in testing before the series started and that has left him with one bike for the season. But I suspect that most on the grid are on low budgets, so its hard to judge on that. He is getting it on the podium but he won't win the series. If you want to watch him race most of the ASBK races are on YouTube and/or SBS online

Troy's age give's him the advantage of experience which will help with adjusting to a new kind of bike and his age is also a disadvantage as things like reaction time are slower.

My guess his that Troy will be fast in the earlier races and struggle later on as the young guns get to grips with the bike