Aprilia, what the hell ?

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Mikesbytes

Re: Aprilia, what the hell ?

Post by Mikesbytes »

I think there's some thinking that ex MotoGP riders will be quicker off the mark on the new Moto2 bikes as they are closer to the MotoGP bikes, especially electronics
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Mikesbytes wrote:I think there's some thinking that ex MotoGP riders will be quicker off the mark on the new Moto2 bikes as they are closer to the MotoGP bikes, especially electronics
That's one way to look at it... but in this specific case, there's much more to it.

Sam was with Gresini in Moto2, they promoted him to the MotoGP project as part of Aprilia Racing Team Gresini. Gresini didn't want Aprilia to drop him, this was Aprilia's decision, not Gresini's. Gresini have now picked him up as soon as they could in Moto2 again.

herbs

Post by herbs »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:Think that tells you exactly what Gresini think!

Pretty amusing that the Aprilia management are still trying to blame Lowes for their current travails.
Did you read the entire article? Albesiano said that letting go of bautista and bradl at the same time and getting an inexperienced rider was a mistake. Pretty hard to dispute that.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Tourn46 wrote:Don't want to create a new thread for this and it's somewhat linked.

Sam Lowes will be back on the Gresini Moto 2 bike for 2019... so... Gresini obviously rates him, yet he was forced out at Aprilia. Who is in charge at Aprilia? How deep is the divide in that team?
Good spot. I think this hits at the heart of their issue. They are seemingly struggling on how to work together as two seperated enties. Almost like Ducati suffered from organizational issues hurting the connection btwn the race team and design team pre-Gigi.

This is what Aprila signed up for by hooking up with a stalite team and collecting the Dorna subsidies of multile milion euros per riders which goes to Gresini as an indeoendant team owner. So on the books they are a satalite team, competing for the Independant Team Championship, but on the surface they want to be seen, and act, as a factory team and have their engineers and managers call the shots.

I hear there are a couple grid slots now open,.. Aprila can either decide to figure out how to work togethr better with Grenisi as a race team operator, or poney up and buy their own factory team slots.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

JanBros wrote:Iannone had a 2 year contract, and he had an explanation for the "guintoly-incident", but can't remember it.
Was listening to Jules Ryder talk about this at a bike meet the other evening, was really interesting stuff. He said that Hamamatsu are the most conservative of all of the Japanese factories and so wouldn't terminate his contract early (they insisted on running the 2 years - Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, he would have been out at the end of that year). But the moment that race happened, it didn't matter if he podiumed for every race for the rest of the year, that was it and he would no longer be a Suzuki rider. They'll smile and bow as always, but the phone calls from the agent come contract renewal time wouldn't be answered.

So whatever Iannone's explanation was for the incident, it wasn't believed.
herbs wrote:
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:Think that tells you exactly what Gresini think!

Pretty amusing that the Aprilia management are still trying to blame Lowes for their current travails.
Did you read the entire article? Albesiano said that letting go of bautista and bradl at the same time and getting an inexperienced rider was a mistake. Pretty hard to dispute that.
Yes I did. My reference was to an article that a magazine (Mat Oxley I think?) wrote towards the end of last year. In it he mentioned that the current Aprilia management had narrowly avoided losing their jobs by blaming Lowes for their poor performance (who then took the fall by having his contract terminated), something which would obviously be much less likely to pass muster if whoever came in to replace him also had a crap year.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Suzuki have to be commended for honouring the contract, not letting an incident get in the way of honour.

Suzuki have sacked a rider, the name evades me, an Australian who tested positive to smoking dope. Years later he was arrested for petty theft in Surfers Paradise. What the rider had done would damage the reputation of Suzuki so it made sense to sack him.

herbs

Post by herbs »

Mikesbytes wrote:Suzuki have to be commended for honouring the contract, not letting an incident get in the way of honour.

Suzuki have sacked a rider, the name evades me, an Australian who tested positive to smoking dope. Years later he was arrested for petty theft in Surfers Paradise. What the rider had done would damage the reputation of Suzuki so it made sense to sack him.
Anthony gobert. Had all the talent in the world but absolutely pissed it away. Ended up getting done for bag snatching off old ladies. Elsewhere I suggested that he ended up a waste of space and got a tirade of abuse in return. :lol:

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yup the 'Go Show', probably one of the biggest wastes of talent the sport has ever seen.

Really sad where he ended up, you think sometimes have different some people's lives would be if they had good people around them to help.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Yeh stick to legal drugs. If Gobert had sucked on fags instead he could of been a Barry Sheen mk2 [and died the same way...]

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

Aleix spends all weekend hating the 18 bike, goes out and does that.
Great ride.

herbs

Post by herbs »

Good ride, though he did get a bit lucky in the first corner, a few guys got held up by lorenzos bike and he cut up the inside. But he lapped consistently after that. Will it continue? I'm not about to put the house on it.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Perhaps it tells us a bit about what the Aprillia's strong points are. Does the Aprillia tend to be strong at circuits where the Suzuki is also strong?

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

Mikesbytes wrote:Perhaps it tells us a bit about what the Aprillia's strong points are. Does the Aprillia tend to be strong at circuits where the Suzuki is also strong?
Aleix 10th at CotA, Iannone 3rd, Rins crashed out of 8th.
9th at LeMans, Iannone crashed lap 1, Rins 10th.
Here 6th, Iannone 3rd, Rins 4th.

I think that's enough correlation to check if there were extenuating circumstances in CotA and LeMans.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

If my suspicion that the Aprillia and the Suzuki are similar in style of bike, then perhaps that suggests that Iannone will adapt quickly to it

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

For sure Iannone will be fast on it.

I see zero chance of any sort of top 5 championship challenge. Likely not even top 10.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Agree, Iannone will be somewhere near Aleix in the results, he's certainly not going to podium it

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Who knows? When it doesn't break down the Aprilia doesn't look too bad in fact. Ianonne and Aleix are two very fast and combattive riders...so why not?

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Albesiano has a history of screaming at team members of all sorts, the team always seems disorganised and behind the 8 ball, it's been going on since before Gigi left and as soon as he did both the WSBK and MotoGp programs went into disarray. A pressure cooker of a gig for sure but he's not made of the stuff needed to bring Aprilia forward to the top level imo.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Listening to Colin Edwards a few weeks ago explaining some of the issues when he rode for them,( logistics of parts supplies) could be one of the issues they are struggling with now and maybe having the parts funnel through the new test team before reaching to race team will enable the riders to concentrate on set up.
I think next year will be a big improvement for aprilia next year if they can supply enough parts for both riders.
I can’t see aliex being the preferred rider next year so will have something to prove

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Good point Vmax, I'd forgotten about the time when it was clearly that Aleix had the parts and his team mate didn't. I'm wondering if that's still the case? Perhaps to a lesser extent

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

Mikesbytes wrote:If my suspicion that the Aprillia and the Suzuki are similar in style of bike, then perhaps that suggests that Iannone will adapt quickly to it
He will be strongly motivated to do well on it in direct competition with the Suzuki I expect.
There is no doubt he is a talented rider but a bit flaky on the motivation front.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Next year aprilia will have some really quick qualifying time followed my below average race finishes
Both riders can be quick for 1 lap but struggle to be constant for all races and tensions within the team will be very high
I think they would have been better trying to set up a junior team in either moto2 or MotoGP to get some new blood into the aprilia fold

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

warthog1 wrote: He will be strongly motivated to do well on it in direct competition with the Suzuki I expect.
There is no doubt he is a talented rider but a bit flaky on the motivation front.
There's only a certain amount of further up the grid you can get through motivation if you're riding a ... not very good bike. Maybe the Aprilia will be better next year. I'm not sure it's that bad given what we hear about how well the whole effort is run.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

At the end of an article that drums up Smith's testing at Aprilla are some comments. One commenter who is very upbeat at the changes at Aprilla has written this;
Like KTM, Aprilia finally have the right pieces. (A) talent that can win a race, Iannone ... (c) excellent test rider in Smith ... and (b) in Aleix they have a guy somewhere in the middle who is talented, experienced, and a positive development guy.

What do you guys think?

hdot

Post by hdot »

Riders are just one ingredient in the cake. Aprilia is like a cake with good flour but rotten eggs and sour milk.