2018 round 7 - Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Mikesbytes

2018 round 7 - Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya

Post by Mikesbytes »

Now that the important bits of the silly season have been resolved, we can now focus on the racing. This weekend the Spainards can get their revenge on the I-Ties for booing Marquez by booing Rossi. The stands will be filled with more people than watched the royal wedding

The track has a small modification and some new surfacing so it will be interesting to see if this results in a different pecking order to last year.

Let the games begin
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Japhrodisiac

Re: 2018 round 7 - Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Marquez still 23 pts ahead and he will try to add at least 5 pts to that tally, looking forward to seeing Lorenzo trying a repeat performance, The Suzuki should do ok there, and just for revenge sake if nothing else, Dani wouldn't mind winning at home either.

CLX

Post by CLX »

You know how things never are what they should be and somehow all predictions seem right but go wrong? So...

- The new extra grippy tarmac should favour Yamaha, and perhaps it does, based on how quick Maverick was after the test. But nothing can be taken for granted with him, not even on the same day.
- Also, the return to the old layout makes the circuit faster and also means a lot more time spent on the edge. If I remember Jerez well, a circuit with long corners, new tarmac and spanish heat, these conditions were unfavourable to Yamaha. But Maverick was quick at the test... But Ducatis were fast at both Jerez and the Barcelona test.
- IIRC, Marquez had an unspectacular test. Maybe it was because of his testing programme. Or maybe it was already a sign of tyres to soft for the worse of the European summer, or maybe he just wasn't pushing.
- I also remember Zarco bein =g in/around the top 5 and Lorenzo having the best average pace.

I don't know what to expect or predict before FP2 is wrapped up, but I'm tempted to say both Ducatis will be quick again. As for Yamaha, who knows? They had a good test and did better at Le Mans and Mugello but both are notoriously friendly to the M1. If we go by Jerez, they shouldn't be on the podium unless the others crash. And Honda? I don't know either. Mugello was a rude awakening to everyone who expected this season to go like 2014.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

hdot

Post by hdot »

They are going back to the old chicane-free layout? That's going to be a treat.

CLX

Post by CLX »

hdot wrote:They are going back to the old chicane-free layout? That's going to be a treat.
They will still use the turn 10 hairpin with the turn 11 kink, but the right hand corners to finish the lap are the same as before.

Eliminating the chincane makes the circuit faster and more flowing, but it also means a huge section between turns 11 and 2 for the left side of the tyres to cool off. I would not be surprised to see more highsides and crashes on the left hand corners.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

hdot

Post by hdot »

The T10-11 kink is fair as there's not much room for runoff there. I feel like both sides of the tire will be cooled after that long straight. Plus it's southern Spain in June so the track surface will be hot. Did people get caught out much before the change?

CLX

Post by CLX »

They did at T-10.
Ianonne torpedoed Lorenzo in 2016, Marquez missed Lorenzo by an inch in 2015. People always crash there.

-----

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

Any idea on the motivation behind the reversion to the origin layout? I thought they changed it because of the Salom incident. Have they now made safety modifications to allow the original to be used once again?
What are you waiting for, you're faster than this
Don't think you are, know you are

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

RIP Andreas Perez.

Seems that the circuit mods haven't worked. Probably shouldn't say that until more details emerge I guess.
Poor young lad. 14. That's terrible news.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Morpheus wrote:Any idea on the motivation behind the reversion to the origin layout? I thought they changed it because of the Salom incident. Have they now made safety modifications to allow the original to be used once again?
Yes mate, they have moved the grandstands back and increased the run off.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Fred Gassit wrote:RIP Andreas Perez.

Seems that the circuit mods haven't worked. Probably shouldn't say that until more details emerge I guess.
Poor young lad. 14. That's terrible news.
He fell and was unfortunately collected by the riders following. This seems to remain the biggest problem which doesn't really have a solution :cry:

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Very sad to hear about Andreas Perez.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:Very sad to hear about Andreas Perez.
Yes that's real sad

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

I hope Rabbat and Simeon have their greatest race of the year. Close knit team.

Poor young lad.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Ironically if Rossi didn't have that fall that also resulted in Marquez being docked 30 seconds then Marquez would be even further ahead of Rossi in the championship. Though Rossi would have a bigger buffer over the others.

Championship wise we still need a bad result from Marquez to make it more competitive but may the best man win on Sunday

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

Fred Gassit wrote:I hope Rabbat and Simeon have their greatest race of the year.
Aparently they read Motomatters :)
FP1 Rabat 8 Simeon 16th.
I know Simeon wasn't at 100% up till now, he just wanted to learn and built experience and to do that one needs to stay on the bike. Something he sometimes had trouble with :mrgreen: Anyway : for one of their home-races, they seem to have unleashed him. I hope :P
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

CLX

Post by CLX »

Apparently it's not going to be a scorching weekend at Barcelona. Whom does cool weather favor the most, Yamaha with tyre management or Honda with front tyre choice?

-----

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

And Tito did that 8th on used tyres https://motomatters.com/results/2018/06 ... rossi.html

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

Moto3 FP2 : 9 KTM's and only 3 Honda's in the top 12, first Honda in 4th. That's been a long time. Seems KTM improved a lot with their engine updates.
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

pom

Post by pom »

JanBros wrote:Moto3 FP2 : 9 KTM's and only 3 Honda's in the top 12, first Honda in 4th. That's been a long time. Seems KTM improved a lot with their engine updates.
Definitely. In Le Mans I noticed how Bezzechi was accelerationg very well from the Garage vert but I didn't pay much attention to Moto3 race at Mugello. So I watched the race today so I just discovered today how the same Bezzechi was able to close to Martin and Di Giantonnio in the long straight line. That was even more impressive than in Le Mans. Great job from KTM.

Moto 2 is interesting as well. KTM are better as well but the big surprise comes from Quartararo . 4 years ago , everybody expected Fabio to be the new Marc Marquez but the frenchman lost a bit his way. Seems 2018 began much better for him. he showed some consistency to reach the top ten and to see him #3 is somewhat inusual. Maybe we are watching signs of redemption from this young guy.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

The Moto3 KTMs appeared to have a power advantage at Mugello, and it seems to be even more in evidence here. If Friday testing is going to tell us what will happen in quali and the race.

In MotoGP, Lorenzo on top. Interesting order with Rossi and Marquez way back. It's not looking like a Honda track with the fastest Honda being Crutchlow in 5th. However, there's plenty of time for that order to change before it starts really meaning all that much.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Who else is thinking Lorenzo might just make things even more interesting? This has had to be his best friday ever since 2016.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/89829 ... -good-form

-----

CLX

Post by CLX »

Quick look at pace, in FP2, laps in 1:41, 1:40, 1:39/38

- Lorenzo: 1, 5, 5
- Ianonne: 2, 5, 1
- Maverick: 2, 7, 1
- Dovisioso: 4, 4, 1
- Zarco: 1, 7, 3
- Pedrosa: 2, 10, 2
- Rabat!!! :shock: 2, 8, 1
- Rossi: 1, 11, 1
- Marquez: 1, 8, 1

Basically, if the track is cool and pace low, Lorenzo seems the best. But if the heat and conditions force a slower pace - mid 1:40s or higher - it's too hard to tell.

Pedrosa had a terrfic stint. He flew under the radar.

-----

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Zarco is being quite impressive as well, not so far from Lor in terms of racing pace and regularity...

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Jagbruno wrote:Zarco is being quite impressive as well, not so far from Lor in terms of racing pace and regularity...
Along with about 8 other riders.