2018 Round 4: Gran Premio Red Bull de España

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

2018 Round 4: Gran Premio Red Bull de España

Post by Fingernails »

I haven't checked past performance, but I note that Pirro says that Dovi should make the difference here.

herbs

Re: 2018 Round 4: Gran Premio Red Bull de España

Post by herbs »

Lorenzo finished on the podium last year. Time for him to produce or the sharks will be circling.

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

There is blood in the water already.
Pay cuts, jumping seats, Dovi is undermining me.
He's already lost a limb or two.

pom

Post by pom »

Jerez isn't Dovi's favorite track. He usually struggles there. It's not Marc's fav either but Repsol Honda did a private test in Jerez a few weeks ago.

Jerez is usually more a Yamaha Track and Rossi loves it. Considering the track has been resurfaced , there will be a lot of grip.

The biggest question mark is Jorge. Usually he loves Jerez but it seems something is broken in his relationship with Ducati.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

herbs wrote:Lorenzo finished on the podium last year. Time for him to produce or the sharks will be circling.
I think that the field is more competitive than last year. So, even if Lorenzo performs identically to last year, a podium may be harder to achieve.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

pom wrote: Jerez is usually more a Yamaha Track and Rossi loves it. Considering the track has been resurfaced , there will be a lot of grip.
This round was a car crash for the Movistar boys in 2017, whereas, in 2016 Rossi was on fire in that race and won leading from start to finish... so it will be interesting to see what the resurfacing does!

CLX

Post by CLX »

If Yamaha enjoys the new surface, then watch out for Maverick to win and people - myself included - suddenly realize 'we were fools to count him out'.

The biggest questions I have are:
- will Marc be convinced by how safe his race was at COTA and try to mimic a flags to flags win again? It might have been a boring race for him, but surely the end result was terrific. 25 points and silencing the critics like that must have been sooooo satisfying;
- A podium seems not likely, but I can see Dovi finishing anywhere between 5th and 10th (depending on how competitive the Yamahas and Suzukis are). If things go bad, will Dovi just accept a bad result?
- Are two weeks enough for Pedrosa to be in fighting form?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

hdot

Post by hdot »

herbs wrote:Lorenzo finished on the podium last year. Time for him to produce or the sharks will be circling.
I was going to say the sharks are already circling. A lot of people seem to be taking pleasure in watching Lorenzo fail. I scrolled down to the post after and had my suspicions validated.

As various riders have been saying, now we will see who is really competitive. I have no call on who will finish where, except that Marquez will probably be towards the front. It's too close to call.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

CLX wrote: - A podium seems not likely, but I can see Dovi finishing anywhere between 5th and 10th (depending on how competitive the Yamahas and Suzukis are). If things go bad, will Dovi just accept a bad result?
I really hope Dovi does surprise and challenges. If we have too many podiums with Marquez and a revolving cast of others, then the championship is going to be done way too soon.

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

hdot wrote:
I was going to say the sharks are already circling. A lot of people seem to be taking pleasure in watching Lorenzo fail. I scrolled down to the post after and had my suspicions validated.
Given that is my post your suspicions are misplaced.
I would really like JL to succeed.
It is not to be unfortunately.
I hope he gets a seat on the Suzuki and we see him back up the front.
His riding style seems incompatible with the Ducati thus far. I don't see either the bike or his style changing enough to reverse that situation.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

From what I've seen, it's going to be a scorcher of a weekend in Jerez... not sure who this plays into the hands of!

CLX

Post by CLX »

Is 40ºC track temperature the cutting point for scorching? If so:

2017:
- COTA - 40º, Repsol 1-3, Ducati 6-9, Movistar 2-DNF.
- Jerez - 41º, Repsol 1-2, Ducati 3-5, Movistar Yamaha 6-10;
- Mugello - 42º, Repsol 6-DNF, Ducati 1-8 (Petrucci was 3rd though), Movistar 2-4;
- Barcelona - 54º (Jesus, that's hot), Repsol 2-3, Ducati 1-4, Movistar 8-10;
- Aragon - 40º - Repsol 1-2, Ducati 3-7, Movistar 4-5.

A scorching weekend should be slighty more favourable to the Repsol guys.

It's harder to make a guess at where the Ducatis will finish. Dovi was anywhere between 1st and 7th. Both of Lorenzo's dry race Ducati podiums came on days of scorching heat and he was not shabby at Barcelona. I guess his smooth style favors tyre preservation and helps in the heat.

Yamahas are unpredictable.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

pom

Post by pom »

Tourn46 wrote:From what I've seen, it's going to be a scorcher of a weekend in Jerez... not sure who this plays into the hands of!
Dani Pedrosa usually.

hdot

Post by hdot »

I think Yamaha is almost out of the wilderness. It's too close to call, but I think they will be in the mix at the front.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

pom wrote: Dani Pedrosa usually.
A win for Dani would really set this up as a season likely to be close. I'm just hoping for a win by anyone other than Marc. Not because I've got anything against Marc, but just because I'm concerned that he may run away with this season.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Who can solve this riddle?

David Emmett
@motomatters
3h3 hours ago
More
Heads up: A milestone will be passed during the @MotoGP race at Jerez. Watch the race carefully on Sunday...

https://twitter.com/motomatters/status/ ... 5963432960

-----

snowman

Post by snowman »

I'd guess it's Rossi's 300th start.

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Actually, on Sunday during the race, Rossi will have covered 40075km in GP races...which equals the circumference of the earth on the Equator.

Not too shabby.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Jagbruno wrote:Actually, on Sunday during the race, Rossi will have covered 40075km in GP races...which equals the circumference of the earth on the Equator.

Not too shabby.
Did they remember that the earth is an oblate spheroid when they did those calculations?

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

Jagbruno wrote:Actually, on Sunday during the race, Rossi will have covered 40075km in GP races...which equals the circumference of the earth on the Equator.

Not too shabby.
according to these people, that is impossible :mrgreen:
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

JanBros wrote:

Not too shabby.
according to these people, that is impossible :mrgreen:
Damn! You're right!!! 8-)

pom

Post by pom »

I can't resist :

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

Its hilarious how flat earth bashing comes up everywhere haha

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

When the flat earth thing became popular I was looking for the last scene in Erik the Viking on youtube, but it doesn't seem to be there :D

So what's the average speed of Rossi's race around the globe?
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Mikesbytes wrote:When the flat earth thing became popular I was looking for the last scene in Erik the Viking on youtube, but it doesn't seem to be there :D

So what's the average speed of Rossi's race around the globe?
Pretty fast. Especially in the four corners. :mrgreen: :geek: :mrgreen: