Pit lane comentator?

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Faster1

Pit lane comentator?

Post by Faster1 »

Are you f*cking kidding me????

I would never question Simon Crafar's skill, resume and knowledge,, ever! But WHAT THE FUCK???? He is the absolute worst with a microphone!!!
His pit lane,, or any lane commentator skills/abilities are nothing short of nauseous!!

I've never heard of Dylan Gray before his motogp pit assignment, but once i did,,, I instantly became a fan. he was/is a perfect fit in both knowledge and presentation.

And now,,, Simon Crafar??? He offers no incite!!! I can finish every sentence he starts!!! Is Engish his second language ???
No No No!!! Is FIM/Motogp paying minimum wage? Does talent and ability not account for anything????? WTF ??!!

Jonathan Green, Steve Martin, Gavin Emmitt, Dylan Gray, Toby Moody, Julian Ryder ?? They each might not be everyone's favorite, but they are all worth 10 times this current selection of headache inducing mouth pieces.

NO MORE SIMON CRAFER !!!!!!!!

This whole crew is the piss! Volume off for the whole 2018 season!

Sorry, I've had a few and I'm maybe being too honest. rant off :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2 cents brought to you by the letter "Q"

Lifelong Yamaha Racing fan, but currently riding a Duc,,,, don't tell anyone 8-)

let's talk WSBK

atropos

Re: Pit lane comentator?

Post by atropos »

Just catching up with FP1 and FP2, I'll let you know what I think after that. :D

Faster1

Post by Faster1 »

atropos wrote:Just catching up with FP1 and FP2, I'll let you know what I think after that. :D
Deal !

Lifelong Yamaha Racing fan, but currently riding a Duc,,,, don't tell anyone 8-)

let's talk WSBK

herbs

Post by herbs »

Simon crafar is fine, you're a spud.

Faster1

Post by Faster1 »

herbs wrote:Simon crafar is fine, you're a spud.
That was insightful, compelling and a convincing argument on why my opinion is nothing,, Thank you for enlightening me.

Regards,
Spud

let's talk WSBK

atropos

Post by atropos »

Ok, my 2 cents for what it's worth. He seems nervous and unprepared when they cross to him and he is a bit hesitant in his delivery. Hopefully, he will improve over the first few races.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Was he wearing jandals :D :lol: 8-)
My signature isn't particularly interesting

atropos

Post by atropos »

Dunno, but I reckon he had a chillybin.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

atropos wrote:Dunno, but I reckon he had a chillybin.
That's spot on Bro

GD66

Post by GD66 »

Amy Dargan was the stand-in pitlane commentator at CotA and did a great job : Simon was unavailable due to *logistical* reasons but is supposedly back for Jerez.
You should never take time off on radio or tv as there's always someone queueing for your spot, could be the case here, she was bright and knowledgeable, and interviewed well. Would be an acceptable swop, Simon is a good bloke but seems to be struggling with that gig. :oops:
Last edited by GD66 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be...

Kropotkin
Site Admin

Post by Kropotkin »

GD66 wrote:Amy Dargan was the stand-in pitlane commentator at Argentina and did a great job : Simon was unavailable due to *logistical* reasons but is supposedly back for Jerez.
You should never take time off on radio or tv as there's always someone queueing for your spot, could be the case here, she was bright and knowledgeable, and interviewed well. Would be an acceptable swop, Simon is a good bloke but seems to be struggling with that gig. :oops:
There is a chance they could share duties. Amy did a great job.
--
http://www.motomatters.com/ - MotoGP News, Analysis and Race Reports

herbs

Post by herbs »

I thought that Simon was pretty good in Argentina. He will get there.

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

I like Simon's work, he'll polish up nicely IMO.

Frankly, I don't know how they get any interviewing done at all on pit lane with MotoGP bikes barking two steps away and howling by at full chat ten steps away.
And usually English is not the interviewee's first language.
If I conducted even the most basic interview in Spanish on just a busy street, it'd be pretty bad.

Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

I had the same issues with Simon, he's too soft spoken and his delivery is slow, heck even the folks he interviews either can't hear him or don't understand him.

I found Amy to be better for her one stand-in appearance, but she was perhaps a little too far on the opposite, speaking too fast.

They need to find something in between both. Miss Nick and Dylan.

Cheers, Rob.

CLX

Post by CLX »

I like Simon. And Amy.

I just think Simon should drop the "how is it to work with Rider ABC" question. No team guy with throw his rider under a bus on air, so all answers are basically the same.

On a slightly related topic regarding the transmission, we should brainstorm about a dozen fan questions and submit them every weekend until they are answered. Some of the questions are too silly or complicated and the riders don't even get them.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

roogazza

Post by roogazza »

Nice bloke and fellow Kiwi, but I'm hoping he'll grow into his new job?
Doesn't seem to be a natural tho . :lol: :lol: :o

Emoo

Post by Emoo »

At first I didn't like him. Then he showed a few nuggets of gold due to his knowledge. He will get there but perhaps he should go on some training in asking questions. go have a chat with the journos and David to get some tips!!

When he asked a question, by the time he's done talking I don't know what the question is, I'm either lost or asleep!

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Emoo wrote:At first I didn't like him. Then he showed a few nuggets of gold due to his knowledge.....
That's how I saw Barry Sheen, who had moved to Australia and was doing the Australian commentary. He would be rabbiting on about something not related to the specific race we were watching, there would be a 3 bike crash like the one on Sunday and instead of interrupting himself he would finish the story before getting back to the race. After a while he got the hang of it and did an excellent job of commentating and throwing in those nuggets of technical knowledge. RIP mate and kiddies stay away from those ciggies

Max Power

Post by Max Power »

I really like Simon Crafar, he seems a bit like a fish out of water with the post race interviews though. I'm sure he'll grow into it.
He did struggle with the Moto3 grid walk at Jerez and couldn't get his lips around 'Fabio Di Giannantonio' despite several attempts, mind you, what a mouthful!

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Emoo wrote:At first I didn't like him. Then he showed a few nuggets of gold due to his knowledge.....
That's how I saw Barry Sheen, who had moved to Australia and was doing the Australian commentary. He would be rabbiting on about something not related to the specific race we were watching, there would be a 3 bike crash like the one on Sunday and instead of interrupting himself he would finish the story before getting back to the race. After a while he got the hang of it and did an excellent job of commentating and throwing in those nuggets of technical knowledge. RIP mate and kiddies stay away from those ciggies
How the hell he managed to put up with Big Darryl Eastlake yelling in his ear is beyond me.
Thank God Barry was there though. You'd have had to turn the sound off otherwise.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Sheen was the closest I've got to a world champion 8-) I was having lunch on Brisbane's waterfront (the side with the swimming) and Sheen turned up with a bunch of channel nine staff, had lunch at the next table. For the record he didn't have a smoke while I was there :lol:

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

What about that performance? Absolutely nailed it in Mugello Mr. Crafar.

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

Simon's doing excellent work, I'm diggin' it.

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

Simon is a top bloke and was one of the fastest guys going around in his day. He was a professional motorcycle racer while dear Amy is a professional commentator.
If they keep Simon at it he will improve - as he already has this season.
Amy is great but Simon's insight is invaluable and I suspect he would be able to get more information out of the interviewee's being perceived as less likely to be looking for the latest headline and as having more empathy for the riders and teams.
What are you waiting for, you're faster than this
Don't think you are, know you are

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Agreed, and hes only gotten better and better. But he had really only been lacking presentation.

I thought he was in the right place at right time, and had the right person to speak with at each part of the race. Pit lane is no small walk from one end to the other. He had the vision to know where he wanted to be and when, and worked it out to be there. No easy feat.

Equally just being there is not enough, the people have to talk to you when you get there. Best of all eveyone seems to want to tak to him, and rather openly at that, even in moments during, or immediately after the race, even if it's their best ever performance at their home race he's welcomed in.

If any of that means not being that guy who asks the typical weekedn story line or stir the pot questions, then I'm good with that.