Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Apical

Re: Silly Season B S

Post by Apical »

Bradley Smith would do well in WSBK.
He might kick arse in BSB, not sure how well he knows the BSB circuits? Could go very well in BSB at Assen van Drenthe.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

bikermike

Re: Silly Season

Post by bikermike »

IIRC there is a pic of a Yam SS300 bike on his twitter feed. Seems an odd choice to me.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Wouldn't of taken a PHD to figure out who was going to get the second Aprilia https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/03/05/ap ... placement/
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Re: Silly Season B S

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

There was a really good article I read about the 2nd Aprilia seat, sadly I can't remember which site it was on. You could not make this stuff up, I often wonder what the hell some of these teams are thinking with their personnel management ability but it was shocking.
- Crutchlow was apparently prepared to sign but Aprilia spent ages waiting for Iannone appeal result. For anyone that was involved apparently there was no way that the decision was ever going to be overturned so this was fruitless. By the time it was, Crutchlow had re-assessed his career and didn't want the ride.
- Dovi and Lorenzo - money on offer (I guess you can't blame Aprilia for that one).
- Had approached Chaz Davies with offer of seat. However part-way through they heard that Joe Roberts might be available. So they told Chaz no, then apparently had everything organised with Joe except for one important element - they hadn't actually consulted Joe himself, who then said no. Went back to Chaz who then said no as well. :D
- Offered to Bezzechi, who 'consulted some GP racing veterans' and then said no :D
- Think De Giantonnio also turned down the ride.

So they have now ended up with essentially the whole weight of the team on Aleix - for results, testing, everything. I am not holding my breath for them making a 'big step' this year..
Apical wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:31 am
Bradley Smith would do well in WSBK.
He might kick arse in BSB, not sure how well he knows the BSB circuits? Could go very well in BSB at Assen van Drenthe.
Not at all I don't think, he grew up racing in the Spanish small category series IIRC.

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

So, any substance to the new rumors (Simon Patterson usually being a very reliable source) of Dovi jumping on the Aprilia ? 8-) :mrgreen:

I, for one, would be all for it!

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Wow yes.. think literally just after writing that last post a load of rumours started appearing (from GPone) of Dovi riding for Aprilia.

Apparently he is going to be test rider for the time being. Some of the stuff I read said that he might be just trying the bike, and if he gets on with it then Aprilia will bring him in to race. I wonder if Dovi had been holding out for Repsol but that is much less likely now?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

The way I read it at this point is that Dovi is doing the test with Aprilia. I'm guessing that whether this test continues into more testing or something else will be an outcome of the test

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

David Emmett said on the front page that technically the rider lineup isn't allowed to change as the starter list has already been confirmed. However, he said practicably if Aprilia and Dovi did want to race IRTA would most likely waive that restriction on the grounds on having such a well known rider as Dovi back on the grid. Will be interesting to see how it goes, we need to see his face when he first steps off the bike and see if it's a 'Zarco on KTM' (looked like he had seen a ghost) or a Rossi when he got back on the Yamaha!

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

I too am very curious to see and hear his remarks.

I’ve been pulling down some pics of bikes from first test and get a Ducatiesque feeling from some of the pics of the prilla, particularly under acceleration.

Wild card will be if it’s got stability under braking Dovi needs / prefers.. If he can get the anchor down on the rear without it moving all over the place he may like what he finds.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Completely unsubstantiated rumour doing the rounds - Salvadori injured this weekend and won't race, Aprilia will be bringing in another rider...

(Note: Most of the well known journos have said "don't trust this" as they haven't heard anything to corroborate it)

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

I was underwhelmed by reading Dovi’s Aprilla test comments. Sure I don’t expect much but to talk about rider position... heck club racers around the world get that stuff sorted before towing their bikes 3 hours to the track....

Also his remarks about not wanting to fill in for an injuried rider but only as the contracted rider for the year leave me thinking we have just seen the last of Dovi apart from being a test rider.

He may revise his fill in role comment at some point. But it seems like both sides here going out of their way to say it’s a casual couple of tests and not taking it seriously at all.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

This editorial paints a picture of good technical feedback from Dovi and they have set another test for 11/12 May. https://www.mcnews.com.au/andrea-dovizi ... hOxLBRHhro

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

From other editorials I've read it looks like very unlikely for a race in 2021, but possible for next year.

Really I think Aprilia can thank their lucky stars to get a rider of his calibre, with so much experience (of so many bikes), onto their machine. It could well be what they need to take that next step.

For the positioning on the bike, if you think that being sorted reputedly cost Lorenzo a year on the Ducati (he started winning races once it was sorted) I can understand why they would want to get that sorted out.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Miller has now signed for 2022 with Ducati. Good for him think he deserves it from the last few results, hopefully now a weight off his mind and he can concentrate for the rest of the year.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Remy Gardner to MotoGP next year on a Tech3 KTM. Worst result this year is 4th so far, so its not surprising that he's going up. Adds the question as to which of the 4 riders will KTM drop?

mastercraftx1

Post by mastercraftx1 »

Tech 3 might end up dropping both of their current riders. With Gardner coming up and if Fernandez keeps doing what he's doing, KTM will have to move him up also or risk losing him to one of the other factories. Might not happen, but it seems likely it could.

roogazza

Post by roogazza »

Dovi ????? nah he's finished.

With all the young fellas going great,Dovi would be racing for 10th spot now.... He's good on the brakes and with Doocati he had the fastest bike. He's not a scapper.
Not worth the money I reckon... :lol:

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Haha we will wait and see.. what I would say is that there is so much strong talent coming in from the smaller classes, if he really wants to come back it might pay to break from his usual habit of being very cautious and to get his name down on paper sooner rather than later.

Good signing for Gardner, he has really grown as a rider and I think has a good mindset for GPs. He is familiar with having struggled when the bike hasn' t been all there and letting it come to him.
Predictions I have read include Gardner and Fernandez moving into the Tech3 team, Petrucci leaves for World SBK, Lecuona back down into Moto2 (all unconfirmed!)

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:04 am
Predictions I have read include Gardner and Fernandez moving into the Tech3 team, Petrucci leaves for World SBK, Lecuona back down into Moto2 (all unconfirmed!)
All sounds quite plausible to me.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Zarco and Martin are staying at Pramac. It seems that Ducati has a strategy of rider stability this year. It also appears that Zarco has found a place on the grid that suits him.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:07 am
Zarco and Martin are staying at Pramac. It seems that Ducati has a strategy of rider stability this year. It also appears that Zarco has found a place on the grid that suits him.
Once Miller was signed there was no where for Zarco to go, so he has made a good decision. Martin proved himself with a podium before getting injured

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:41 pm
Once Miller was signed there was no where for Zarco to go, so he has made a good decision. Martin proved himself with a podium before getting injured
Pramac seems to be a good place for Zarco. He can compete on seemingly a fairly even level with the factory team, and there is the potential for wins.
Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:26 am
If Marc is no longer a winner and that depends on his recovery, then we are in an age of no aliens. There is that guy in Moto3 who seems to have the ability to be a future world champion but I'm sure Honda isn't the only manufacturer looking at him
Is Fabio Quartararo turning into an alien? Though, I take your point that there is less variation in the riders than there has been in the past. I wonder if part of Ducati's stability strategy is because they realise they aren't going to get a significant advantage through chasing riders, and need to build the team they have in different ways.

Pedro Acosta in Moto3 is racing for the Red Bull Ajo KTM team, which is effectively a KTM factory team as far as I understand things. The Moto2 Red Bull Ajo KTM team would be a good place for him to go next. They are currently 1-2 in the championship. Then I wonder where he could end up in MotoGP... While it's massively too early to say, I wonder if Acosta will win KTM's first championship in MotoGP.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I think Acosta is too young to jump straight into MotoGP isn't he?
I thought 18 was the minimum age. As skillful and promising he has been so far, I don't think I would agree with him stepping up into the big class for at least another couple of seasons.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:28 pm
I think Acosta is too young to jump straight into MotoGP isn't he?
I thought 18 was the minimum age. As skillful and promising he has been so far, I don't think I would agree with him stepping up into the big class for at least another couple of seasons.
Yes, but he can go to Moto2 next year.

According to Wikipedia, he turned 17 on the 25th of May. So, one year in Moto2 would leave him old enough to enter MotoGP in 2023.

But I agree that continuing to learn in the Moto3/Moto2 classes is probably the best long term strategy. I remember Marc Marquez dominating in Moto2 to a ridiculous degree. Even if he wins the Moto3 championship this year staying a second year wouldn't, in my limited understanding, be a bad thing. He's showing that he has speed and considerable racecraft, but he still has a few things to learn.

In my post above I was suggesting that he might stay in the same team when graduating to Moto2, and remain in the KTM family ready for graduation then. So, if he followed that path, his age wouldn't get in the way of the progression.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

This post is really following up @Mikesbytes post in the round 8 thread where Mikesbytes predicts a Quartararo win, with Vinales off the podium.

We've had discussion of whether Rins is doing his career good by falling off all the time. If Vinales continues to (on average) underperform compared to Quartararo, then will Vinales continue at Yamaha? It seems to me that on his day Vinales is unbeatable. But, those days don't happen very often. I find it difficult to imagine Vinales having a good crack at a championship due to inconsistency and dropping back down the field and slowly recovering but not enough.

The Yamaha appears to be the class of the field bike at the moment. And, it's not a situation like Honda where many riders can't get on with the bike. It's said to be one of the easier bikes to adapt to.

And, there's Morbidelli.