Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Apical

Re: Silly Season

Post by Apical »

Silly season, what saddles are unoccupied when the music stops?
According to https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/06/ ... -up/378666

We have a few, but, Maverick has a contract for 2022 as does Rins. I agree both under performing.
Particularly when compared to their teammates.
Maverick V is a married man, with a new baby, this may slow him a bit. Biggest issue is inside his helmet, when Mav is wearing it.

Since the article came out a week ago Gresini have confirmed they will be running Ducatis "with the all-Italian line-up of Fabio Di Giannantonio and Enea Bastianini,"
One vacant seat at Petronas (Maybe) if Vale leaves. Pretty vacant!
One seat at VR46 Ducati (maybe) Riding with Luca Marini, could be his half brother. Rossi may wish to prove he CAN ride a Ducati!
One at Aprilia. Aleix will be there, Savadori perhaps not.
Where to for Franky Morbidelli?
Where to for Dovizioso?

? Hope Dovi gets a ride somewhere.
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Apical wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:03 am
Since the article came out a week ago Gresini have confirmed they will be running Ducatis "with the all-Italian line-up of Fabio Di Giannantonio and Enea Bastianini,"
Wow! That's the biggest news in your post. (I should have been reading the news more.)

I see the news is that Avintia will quit, with its slots going to VR46 - who will also run Ducatis.

That's four Ducati teams on the grid, while Suzuki still don't have a satellite team.

How have Aprilia got grid slots? Is there something I've missed - very likely.

EDIT: Why would Morbidelli leave Petronas? It sounds like a good fit for both, with Morbidelli being well positioned to move to the factory team in the future and being a good choice for the team with the biggest chance of podiums or even wins.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

From what I have read Aprilia will be running their own factory team.
I haven't heard anything about Morbidelli leaving Petronas TBH? I know there is some dissatisfaction with him not having a factory bike but it sounds like it's just a case of Petronas putting forward the money for the bike. Lin Jarvis has said there is one waiting for him if they want it.

Rumour on the Motogp world feed this morning was if (when?) Rossi's retirement is announced the open seat could be filled by Toprak from WSBK.

Another rumour this morning (Simon Patterson/The Race talking to Johan Stiggefelt) is Jake Dixon going to the Petronas MotoGP bike (!) They are mixing up chief race engineers, Dixon now has John McPhee's (apparently John not very happy) in an effort to get Jake's season going.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:38 am
From what I have read Aprilia will be running their own factory team.
I haven't heard anything about Morbidelli leaving Petronas TBH? I know there is some dissatisfaction with him not having a factory bike but it sounds like it's just a case of Petronas putting forward the money for the bike. Lin Jarvis has said there is one waiting for him if they want it.

Rumour on the Motogp world feed this morning was if (when?) Rossi's retirement is announced the open seat could be filled by Toprak from WSBK.

Another rumour this morning (Simon Patterson/The Race talking to Johan Stiggefelt) is Jake Dixon going to the Petronas MotoGP bike (!) They are mixing up chief race engineers, Dixon now has John McPhee's (apparently John not very happy) in an effort to get Jake's season going.
Yes, Aprilia will be running their own factory team. Gresini will be on the grid with Ducatis. That means: two team grid slots (four riders) where previously there was one team grid slot. Where did the extra team slot come from? Was there a spare one? VR46 is taking over an existing slot.

I was responding to 'Where to for Franky Morbidelli?' I would guess that he will stay in the Yamaha family even after the end of his current contract. Either waiting for a Yamaha factory seat, or extending his stay at Petronas. Hopefully with a full factory bike. Note that I used the word 'guess'.

EDIT: Having written that, I realise that I've forgotten who is in the VR46 programme and of course VR46 will want riders. Possibly from current Moto3/Moto2 riders moving up. But, possibly from the VR46 riders already in MotoGP.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I think (not 100%) that there were a spare two grid spaces for the past few years?
I can't think of any other way - like you say if the Avintia bike spaces are going to Rossi's team, Gresini are taking Ducati's, then there has to be two more bikes on the grid for the Aprilias?

Yes I would like to see Frankie stay on that bike too. It seems to suit his riding style of accuracy (I remember thinking that watching him at Jerez in Moto2 some years ago, when he won the Moto2 race, he was just hitting the same piece of tarmac every single lap). Also like that he seems like such a good guy, and the fact that Ramon Forcada (who got sacked as Vinales crew chief) gets some payback with a bike that really shouldn't be winning races :)

I think for VR46 - I have read Bezecchi is coming up from Moto2, and of course Marini.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:55 pm
I think for VR46 - I have read Bezecchi is coming up from Moto2, and of course Marini.
Interesting. With Gardner going up to KTM (Tech3 I believe) and Gresini taking two Moto2 frontrunners, that would be a LOT of new graduands into the MotoGP class. EDIT: Marini is already in MotoGP. D'oh!

(The rest of your post is interesting too, but when I'm posting during working hours time is limited :) ).
Last edited by Fingernails on Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I suspect that Aprilia will get the 2 spare slots with their own team and VR46 will take over Avinta. Will of course depend on funding and COVID has changed many business's that had relationships with MotoGP
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Apparently Rossi is going to be part of the media interviews coming up in the Netherlands on Thursday, with a few journos expecting it to be an announcement of his new team.

Odds of it being Ducati are at 99%..

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

And will he make an announcement about his own future?

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I'm not sure! It was mentioned a few times over the weekend that they think its imminent. I would guess he will have his own press conference for that (as Lorenzo and Pedrosa did from recent memory)

hdot

Post by hdot »

Apical wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:03 am
Silly season, what saddles are unoccupied when the music stops?
According to https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2021/06/ ... -up/378666

We have a few, but, Maverick has a contract for 2022 as does Rins. I agree both under performing.
Particularly when compared to their teammates.
Maverick V is a married man, with a new baby, this may slow him a bit. Biggest issue is inside his helmet, when Mav is wearing it.
Contracts can be broken.... I imagine riders throwing tantrums and slowing to last place would qualify as breach of contract. Especially when one's teammate on the same bike is the championship leader

CLX

Post by CLX »

Besides Zarco and KTM, which contract was ever broken in thise era of 2 year cycles?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

You're right, I remember even Suzuki still honouring Iannone's contract even when he quite obviously couldn't be bothered.

I guess it might be the situation like Zarco at KTM - if it's quite obvious for both parties that they are not happy they can choose to part ways (but I think as in that case both sides would have to agree).

Certainly there would be no shortage of riders who want that second factory Yamaha. I'm not quite sure where Vinales himself would go..

CLX

Post by CLX »

Maybe Yamaha and Suzuki should do a straight up swap between Rins and Maverick. Except Rins would get Rossi's bike and Franco would be promoted.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

CLX wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 am
Besides Zarco and KTM, which contract was ever broken in thise era of 2 year cycles?
Have a look at the history of Avinta riders

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Ah yes ofc - Rabat had to be bought out of his contract didn't he for Marini to get brought into GP this year.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I see that the VR46 team will have Duc's for 3 years. Speculation is that the riders will be Luca Marini and either Marco Bezzecci or Rossi himself

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:48 am
I see that the VR46 team will have Duc's for 3 years. Speculation is that the riders will be Luca Marini and either Marco Bezzecci or Rossi himself
Full factory, and/or older machines?

EDIT: This article doesn't say for sure: https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/98144 ... p-campaign

Only:
The VR46 bike spec has not been revealed, which is not a surprise since it will be heavily influenced by the rider line-up. Rossi would be sure to want the latest GP22s if he continues, while a rookie such as Bezzecchi would likely get GP21s.
The article raises an interesting question of whether Gresini may become a satellite Suzuki team.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

That's interesting.. I do wonder where Crash.net get their info from sometimes as I haven't read that about the Gresini/Suzuki link anywhere else, and I follow half a dozen bike journos, certainly nothing to counter that there will be 8 Ducatis on the grid next year (Factory, Pramac, VR46, Gresini)

Interesting though about HRH Sheik wanting to see Rossi on a Ducati again! Strangely Lorenzo said the same thing on his Youtube channel, thought that the character of the bike would suit him...

CLX

Post by CLX »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:44 pm
CLX wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:09 am
Have a look at the history of Avinta riders
Ops.

-----

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Vinales to Aprilia. An explanation here viewtopic.php?p=103869#p103869

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Good move by Aprillia
A rider whose best times are usually on Friday and Saturday won't be overly inconvenienced by the regular mechanical DNFs on raceday...

(Seriously, unless they really think they can break his cycle of being friday champion, Aprillia haven't made a clever move here. They would IMO be better off with a rider with less profile and less flaws).

hdot

Post by hdot »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:32 pm
I think you posted the wrong link

I would really love an explanation. "Results" are meaningless when they come randomly and do absolutely nothing to develop your bike, raise your project's profile, or lift team morale. I would rather gamble on a quick rookie than go with what will likely be a disaster with Mav

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

hdot wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:39 pm
Mikesbytes wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:32 pm
I think you posted the wrong link

I would really love an explanation. "Results" are meaningless when they come randomly and do absolutely nothing to develop your bike, raise your project's profile, or lift team morale. I would rather gamble on a quick rookie than go with what will likely be a disaster with Mav
Opps, don't know how that happened, try this article https://motomatters.com/analysis/2021/0 ... _ales.html

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Ok, so Maverick (what’s in a name!) is out of the blue but will he really go into the black? Personally I think it would be a very bad decision for Aprilia as they need an emotionally stable clever rider (Dovi fits that bill perfectly, so does… Rins… not MV, by a long stretch).
So I wouldn’t be too surprised if MV went (back) to Suzuki and Rins to Aprilia (although Dovi would be a better match for sure).
🍿