Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
MiniNinjaMk5

Re: Silly Season

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes that's a good point about the early 90s. My memory (now getting quite hazy!) of those times was of how much those results were Schwantz (and Barros and Daryl Beattie actually) were the riders and how much the bike. You always had the feeling that the Honda had the edge, especially in the hands of Mick and of course Rainey on the Yamaha.

Again you don't know how much of it now is the riders (and of course it's always a combination of the triumvirate of rider, machine and crew) but it looks like the machine is consistently one of the strongest - all of the others seem to have weaknesses in different areas or fluctuate a lot between tracks, whereas Mir has managed to be much more consistent (Rins too if he hadn't had DNFs, there haven't been any races where he has been running around in 12th).

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/94736 ... o-savadori

Aleix has 27 points despite having 4 DNF's where Smith has got 12 points with 1 DNF and is only ahead of Rabat in the championship
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Not sure I understand that move. Only a few races left (assuming they take place) around Valencia which is one of the nastiest, trickiest tracks on the calendar. It will be cold, possibly wet. I think the only thing it might tell Salvadori is that he probably doesn't want to ride an Aprilia if he ever does get to GPs.

I suppose what we can take from that is Smith isn't going to even be a test rider next year.. ?

From 2020 I have got the impression that I never want to work for an Italian company, if that's how they go on! :D (thinking Dovi, Chaz Davies, Smith and actually going back to Redding and Lowes)

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Smith is, alas, never going to set the world on fire.

Ironically, his measured approach might make him more use to a championship-chasing team. For Aprillia, gambling on a new rider who might do something spectacular is going to be a better return on the money spent.

I wonder if there is much testing to be done now?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

bikermike wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:28 pm

Ironically, his measured approach might make him more use to a championship-chasing team. For Aprillia, gambling on a new rider who might do something spectacular is going to be a better return on the money spent.

I personally think that Bradders has had a very good shake of the stick in MotoGP. I don't think anyone can say that he didn't get a chance to show what he can do. And, he was good on his day, but now he's just not performing. I think he was better off in MotoE as he had an opportunity to win races and have a tilt at the championship.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Another angle could be that unless Smith crashes he isn't going to get any TV time so why not give the new test rider some motogp racing experience

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

bikermike wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:28 pm

Considering they are probably the worst bike on the grid, you would think they would need a tester now more than ever.

Look at the strides KTM have taken - but it was with a massive amount of development work and testing (and probably helped that they had Pedrosa involved with that..)

Do agree though that Smith doesn't have the speed he once had (if you think he used to beat Pol regularly in Tech 3), I think it was the change to Michelin from Bridgestone and it hasn't suited him. He isn't the first and won't be the last rider that that will happen too. .

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

I think it depends if they have parts etc to test. If there's nothing new to test, and Bradders has got all he can out of it, then there is nothing to be gained with him carrying on. Giving new blood a chance has greater risk of a crash etc, but if Brad isn't getting them the speed (don't think Espargaro has made any leaps forward at this end of the season, so any testing benefits aren't percolating through there).

Also, Brad pootling round at the back won't get them much media attention. A new kid on the block, even if he bins it, gets them more attention. If you aren't making ny progress, some more exposure for the sponsors might buy some more progress next year.

And now there's the Lorenzo rumour...

(As a former back-of-the-field club racer I am fully aware that Bradley has more talent than I will ever have on a bike, and I respect what he's done, but in the cold light of the very peak of the sport, he's not *quite* there)

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Hah I thought the Lorenzo rumour was the Motogpnews wesbite joking about (going on 'Lorenzo to Aprilia!' Then you click on the link and it's Lorenzo Salvadori ) :D

Have you read any more rumours about it being a thing then?

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Just the crash.net piece
https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/94737 ... ks-aprilia

But they do say Speedweek said it. And if you can't trust the Germans...

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Haha... hmm yeah I would be so surprised if that happened. Honestly, I would put Casey Stoner coming out of retirement to test at Aprilia as only slightly less likely than Lorenzo going to that team.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

So why no Lorenzo if Rossi doesn't race? https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/11/ ... der/353947

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

GPone are reporting that Lorenzo has been 'fired' by Yamaha (!)

So that Aprilia rumour might be a thing if he wants to stay in GPs - don't know where else he could go?

Mooting possibility of Dovi coming back to Yamaha as a test rider.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

It seems that Yamaha test team might be a career ending move

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

Yeah - that's a massive slap in the face for Jorge. It's clear he hasn't been doing any suitable training to keep up, but choosing a MotoGP virgin who has never ridden at Valencia over a previous race winner (on a Yamaha no less) at that locale - eeesh.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

There is an element of trying to keep your future prospects sweet too though.. Yamaha must be thinking of both Gerloff and Toprak in that category, even if they don't ever race in GPs again it's a nice gift to those riders to show that they think highly of them.

Will be interesting now if Rossi comes back on the Yamaha for just the Saturday and Sunday, guess he must be just hoping for a wet race as he will suffer without the FP time.

Antipodean

Post by Antipodean »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:40 pm
There is an element of trying to keep your future prospects sweet too though.. Yamaha must be thinking of both Gerloff and Toprak in that category, even if they don't ever race in GPs again it's a nice gift to those riders to show that they think highly of them.
Yes, absolutely - and Gerloff proved them very much correct in that aspect. He did an incredible job - lapping at that speed on a new bike and track, it's almost scary to think what he might be capable of with more experience on bike and track under his belt - here's hoping we get to see at some point. Nice to see someone so genuinely stoked just to get to do some laps!

Glad Vale is back for the race, but now a little bit of me wishes he were off until next week so we could see what Garrett could pull out over race distance.

Albert

Post by Albert »

WayneG wrote:
I have a feeling that Oscar may have had a run in with the powers that be and taken his bat and gone home. :)
I hope you are travelling well Dave.
So-so Wayne.
A road trip to a decent MotoGP race in Italy would help and fortunately my 2020 plans will transfer to 2021, as will my DFDS Seaways booking! :)
I believe I'm growing sceptical of cynicism!

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

So-so Wayne.
A road trip to a decent MotoGP race in Italy would help and fortunately my 2020 plans will transfer to 2021, as will my DFDS Seaways booking! :)

Well fair seas and good racing my friend. :)
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Re the vacant seat at Aprilia. The current situation could play to Aprilia's advantage in that they could get Crutchlow in a bidding war with Dovi and go for the cheapest rider and if neither will go low enough then they could simply use their new boy

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Latest article on the front page has Dovi taking a sabbatical for next year. He wanted to do pro Moto-X racing and apparently none of the teams were happy with that so he hasn't signed.

Might well be the last few races we will see of Dovi's career. Think it will be very, very hard for him to come back in, despite his results.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

This article covers most of the loose ends

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Interesting stuff. Really seems now that Aprilia standing by Iannone (who, from everything I have read, is not expected to be able to overturn the ban) has really cost them. Both Dovi and Cal.

Last thing left remaining to them is if Lorenzo decides what the hell he is doing and decides to come back for a late stab at it? I would have said definitely no, but then someone mentioned Biaggi's role at Aprilia and apparently both of them are close (I have no idea if Biaggi is still has a role with Aprilia?) Obviously Jorge has struggled to fill the buzz missing from his life from racing GP bikes..

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:21 pm
Interesting stuff. Really seems now that Aprilia standing by Iannone (who, from everything I have read, is not expected to be able to overturn the ban) has really cost them. Both Dovi and Cal.

Last thing left remaining to them is if Lorenzo decides what the hell he is doing and decides to come back for a late stab at it? I would have said definitely no, but then someone mentioned Biaggi's role at Aprilia and apparently both of them are close (I have no idea if Biaggi is still has a role with Aprilia?) Obviously Jorge has struggled to fill the buzz missing from his life from racing GP bikes..
That’d be interesting. No presssure for Jorge, Aleix occasionally does ok on the bike. Why not?

AJracing

Post by AJracing »

If Lorenzo comes back - I will pay Motogp.com a premium on top of the yearly subscription. :lol: :lol: