Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Fingernails

Re: Silly Season

Post by Fingernails »

bikermike wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:46 pm
Crutchlow moving to Aprillia is interesting, I wonder why Takagami is ahead in the pecking order again?
If Crutchlow's in good form, then the move to Aprillia makes sense to me. He's been heavily involved with the development of the Honda, and will bring those skills and knowledge to the table. For Crutchlow, it's a factory ride. He's only had one year in a factory team, and we know how that went. It'll be interesting to see how he goes against Espargaro. Then there's the unspecified 'help' that Dorna have offered. https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/1 ... de-in-2021

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Crutchlow was going to retire at the end of 2020. With the 2020 year being turned on its head it wouldn't surprise me if he decides to race in 2021 and with the early form we saw of the new Aprilia in testing, the bike has the possibility of reaching the podium. Another thought about Crutchlow is in regards to Iannone coming back mid season, would Crutchlow sign a 1/2 year contract and retire mid season?

Zarco has done a test on the 2019 Ducati and did reasonably well. Probably not enough data to know overall how well he will do. He has the Ducati V4 road bike for training and I'm thinking that the Ducati road bike is probably a better road bike to train on than what the other manufacturers have as the frame is stiffer, closer to the MotoGP frames
My signature isn't particularly interesting

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Given Aprilia's run with Bradley and Scott, I'd think they'd think twice to hire an Englishman who is very outspoken.

He's got to be one of the best bets with a MotoGP track record, but I'd wonder if they'd want a rider for the future.

I was more shocked by the "taking a year out" line from Dovi. That would be a brave decision...

Mike

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

bikermike wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am
Given Aprilia's run with Bradley and Scott, I'd think they'd think twice to hire an Englishman who is very outspoken.

He's got to be one of the best bets with a MotoGP track record, but I'd wonder if they'd want a rider for the future.

I was more shocked by the "taking a year out" line from Dovi. That would be a brave decision...

Mike
I think they need a competitive bike before they need a rider for the future. I'm aware that KTM have riders for the future. I'm not convinced that's the best policy. If Crutchlow's input can help get the bike nearer the front of the grid, then young riders will want to ride the bike.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Lorenzo on the Ducati is starting to look more possible https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93900 ... e-underway

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Zarco - I 'ave ferked urp my career with a bad choice of ride
Dovi - 'old my Peroni...

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Everything I have read around Iannone, in terms of expectation of appeal or likelihood of the suspension being lifted, is that there is next to no chance of him re-appearing any time soon. You would have to assume Aprilia are planning for that.
Tourn46 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:34 pm
WayneG wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:02 pm
If he does go to Aprillia it would be the fourth manufacturer he has ridden for. I can't think of any other rider who has done that.
Melandri did 5 I think...

Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati and a short stint at Aprilia.
Ah you can't say Kawasaki though ! :) What was it? Hi-Kate or something like that? (80s aftershave keeps coming into my head for some reason :D )

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Haha brilliant - that was the one! :)

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Rossi has signed a 1+1 deal with Yamaha, but obviously in the Petronas Team with an M1 identical to Vinales and Quartararo.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Crutchlow admits he is unlikely to continue on a Honda next year and is interested in developing the Aprilia. Suggests that his podium successes would continue with Aprilia. If the bike is as good as preseason tested suggested, then I can see Crutchlow putting it on the podium

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93901 ... a-interest

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Definitely - how do the handling characteristics of the Aprilia compare to the Yamaha? As he rode well on that bike and was unlucky not to get a race win in the Tech3 team.

Hopefully have a few less horrendous looking accidents as well before the end of the year..

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:37 pm
Definitely - how do the handling characteristics of the Aprilia compare to the Yamaha? As he rode well on that bike and was unlucky not to get a race win in the Tech3 team.

Hopefully have a few less horrendous looking accidents as well before the end of the year..
It's a completely new bike and we have only seen it in the preseason test. While it went reasonably well, we haven't seen enough of it to answer your question

BTY Pol has been officially announced at Repsol Honda for 2021

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

I thought the old Aprilia was more akin to the Honda school of violence, hence why Espargaro did well, and Bradley less so (and he did well on the comparable Tech3 Yam).

But yes, if they could avoid catching fire, falling apart etc, with the new bike, it would be nice.

Mike

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I think this is where we are at with 2021

Suzuki Factory bikes
Joan Mir 2022
Alex Rins 2022

Ducati Team Factory bikes
Jack Miller 2021 with 2022 option
<Vacant> Andrea Dovizioso will either sign or sit the year out. Possible Jorge Lorenzo

Monster Yamaha Factory bikes
Maverick Vinales 2022
Fabio Quartararo 2022

Repsol Honda Factory bikes
Marc Marquez 2024
Pol Espargaro 2022

Aprilia Gresini Factory bikes
Aleix Espargaro 2022
<vacant> Andrea Iannone is out of contract at the end of 2020 and is unlikely to race. Rumors of Cal Crutchlow

Red Bull KTM Factory bikes
Miguel Oliveira 2021
Brad Binder 2021

Tech3 KTM Factory bikes
Iker Lecuona 2021
Danilo Petrucci 2021

LCR Honda 1 Factory bike for Alex, 1 Satellite bike
Alex Marquez 2022
<Vacant> likely to be filled by Takaaki Nakagami

Pramac Ducati Factory bikes
<vacant> likely to be filled by Francesco Bagnaia
<vacant> likely to be filled by Jorge Martin

Petronas Yamaha Sepang Team (are both bikes factory bikes?)
Franco Morbidelli 2022
Valentino Rossi 2021 (has it actually been signed?)

Avintia Racing Satellite bikes
Tito Rabat 2021
<vacant> I'm assuming that Johann Zarco will retain this seat

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:32 pm
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:37 pm

It's a completely new bike and we have only seen it in the preseason test. While it went reasonably well, we haven't seen enough of it to answer your question

BTY Pol has been officially announced at Repsol Honda for 2021
One really great story I read (Simon Patterson I think?) was that when Aleix came in after testing the bike for the first time he wept, because it was that good and he was so happy!

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Cal says on Facebook that things are looking promising to continue racing in MotoGP next year.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

If first practice is anything to go by, he could have done very well if he goes to Aprillia...

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

A crazy scenario :
Negotiations don't go well with Petronas, and feeling spurned by Yamaha, and some unfinished Italian style business, Rossi returns to Ducati to finish off his career.

Petronas signs Lorenzo in Rossi's place.

Months ago this would have seemed ridiculous. Today, only mildly ridiculous :lol:

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Japhrodisiac wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:27 pm
A crazy scenario :
Negotiations don't go well with Petronas, and feeling spurned by Yamaha, and some unfinished Italian style business, Rossi returns to Ducati to finish off his career.

Months ago this would have seemed ridiculous. Today, only mildly ridiculous :lol:
Naaaah.

Rossi goes to Aprilia to end his career Italian style.
Lorenzo returns to Ducati
Dovi goes to Petronas and becomes World Champion in 2021.

Apical

Re: Silly Season Vale says Yes

Post by Apical »

Valentino says It's fixed for 2021 at SRT Petronas on a Yamaha of course.

https://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2020/0 ... 0274&jb=53

But still no contract signed yet
"Faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death," Hunter S Thompson

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Jagbruno wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:51 am
Japhrodisiac wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:27 pm
A crazy scenario :

Naaaah.

Rossi goes to Aprilia to end his career Italian style.
Lorenzo returns to Ducati
Dovi goes to Petronas and becomes World Champion in 2021.
They repeated the Lorenzo -> Ducati thing on the Motogp.com broadcast this afternoon.
I wonder if it's to try and push Dovi into signing up? As he has reputedly said he will take a sabbatical (which again I don't think will happen) and I don't think there is anyone else that Ducati could threaten him with in terms of losing his ride.

As for Lorenzo - why would you go back? Have you ever returned to work at a job that you left because you didn't get on with the boss??

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

You would have to think that if you take a sabbatical in your mid 30s winning a championship and so many talented young guys seeming to come through you’re not getting a top factory bike after a year off.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Despite Dovi being in a good position to be world champion this year, they still haven't agreed on money. Bagnaia's name is in the mix

https://everythingmotoracing.com/2020/0 ... C0aRyOZ0q4