Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
bikermike

Re: Silly Season

Post by bikermike »

There has to be some serious gap in expectations for this to drag on like this...

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:05 am
Despite Dovi being in a good position to be world champion this year, they still haven't agreed on money. Bagnaia's name is in the mix

https://everythingmotoracing.com/2020/0 ... C0aRyOZ0q4
I think if we are being honest, Dovi is only likely to bring a title to Ducati this year. So I understand why Ducati is playing hardball. Dovi would be almost 37 at the end of 2022 season, if I was Ducati I’m not sure I would be in a hurry to sign him up.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

p4p1 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:53 pm
Mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:05 am
Despite Dovi being in a good position to be world champion this year, they still haven't agreed on money. Bagnaia's name is in the mix

https://everythingmotoracing.com/2020/0 ... C0aRyOZ0q4
I think if we are being honest, Dovi is only likely to bring a title to Ducati this year. So I understand why Ducati is playing hardball. Dovi would be almost 37 at the end of 2022 season, if I was Ducati I’m not sure I would be in a hurry to sign him up.
Why oh why Ducati.. the *one* year when you needed to have your ducks in a row, to do everything possible to make your riders life as easy as possible so they can concentrate on the riding part, and you f*ck up.

Admittedly they could not have known that Marc would hurt himself in rd1. But the moment that happened, and there was any prospect at all of him missing races (looking at who finished 2nd in the WC the last 3 years here - sure Ducati must remember that fact?!) then Claudio Dominicalli should have been on the phone to Dovi and said they will give him anything that he wants. Thankyou very much Mr. Dovizioso, sir, now please just concentrate on the riding and we will take care of everything else.

Them not doing that, when the dust has settled, could turn out to have cost them a real shot at the WC this year.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Rossi will be announced at Petronas this weekend. https://the-race.com/motogp/rossi-final ... this-week/

Sounds like the main issue was working out who will work for whom
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Mikesbytes wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:41 am
Rossi will be announced at Petronas this weekend. https://the-race.com/motogp/rossi-final ... this-week/

Sounds like the main issue was working out who will work for whom
The story is that he is only at Petronas for one year, then when the team contracts finish at the end of 2021, he will then be riding a VR46 bike in 2022 (or managing the team...) so we shall see. Apparently they could be the Suzuki satellite squad.

All conjecture of course, but could cause some fun.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

I would love to see a satellite Suzuki squad. Been bummed since the VDS thing fell thru. Would like to see two more out there for sure, and if can be connected to VR46 in someway would be well funded and well run and complete his ladder up to the top.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Dorna want's 4 bikes per manufacturer so it wouldn't surprise me that they create 2 more slots on the grid for Rossi if he uses Suzuki's

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Another interesting rumour (on The Race Podcast) from Simon Patterson was that apparently Petronas aren't too happy with the support they are getting from Yamaha. Specifically seems a problem with the Japanese manufacturers where the satellite bikes are always a step down from the factory team, contrast with Ducati and KTM who are set on giving full spec factory bikes to their satellite squads (or at least lots of support - hence Pramac doing well, Tech 3 getting a win after only 1 season with KTM and failing for so many years with Yamaha).

He didn't speculate who Petronas could go to but if they left Yamaha that would leave the space open for Rossi to manage a team and two bikes. I like the idea of Rossi running two Suzukis but can't imagine Yamaha would want to let him go easily, his name and brand image will still carry a lot of weight even after he retires.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

So its almost certain it will be Bagnaia to Factory Ducati and Zarco to Pramac

Assuming that the seats at Factory Ducati and Pramac are as above, I think that leaves;
- 1 at Aprilia as it doesn't appear that Iannone will be racing and Crutchlow is being vocal as to wanting it
- 1 at Avinta. I doubt the extra support that Zarco got will be available for whoever replaces him
Has Taka signed?

It looks like Dovi and Lorenzo won't be racing.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

The world feed was reporting at the weekend that Crutchlow wants the Aprilia ride but Dovi has first refusal on it.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

What about riders moving up from Moto2? Surely someone will, and there needs to be a ride for them?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I think Aprilia needs an experienced rider to help with development, which doesn't help the Moto2 riders

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Yes. I didn't mean Aprilia specifically. But, somewhere... Avintia seems the only possible place at the moment.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:17 am
Yes. I didn't mean Aprilia specifically. But, somewhere... Avintia seems the only possible place at the moment.
Avintia appears to be low in funds so I'm presuming that whoever replaces Zarco will need to be able to bring sponsorship to Avinta

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Ducati 2021
Factory
- Miller
- Bagnaia
Pramac
- Zarco (not confirmed)
- Martin
Avinta
- Bastianini
- Rabat

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Petrucci to WSBK? I think they could do far worse.

SP_won

Post by SP_won »

Fingernails wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:02 pm
Petrucci to WSBK? I think they could do far worse.
Isn’t he going to Tech3?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

SP_won wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:16 am
Isn’t he going to Tech3?
He is? I didn't know that. Is that to replace Olivera moving to the KTM team?

EDIT: Yes. https://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/93 ... ampionship

Given KTM can develop their engine for next season, that TECH3 seat could be a good choice.
Last edited by Fingernails on Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Yes I heard about an interview with Poncheral about it. Apparently Petrucci was super enthusiastic about it, loves KTM as a company (he owns a lot of their offroad bikes, something stupid like 20!) and really, really wanted to be part of the project. So Poncheral said, aside from Petrucci's results, he is really happy having him in the team.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:37 pm
Yes I heard about an interview with Poncheral about it. Apparently Petrucci was super enthusiastic about it, loves KTM as a company (he owns a lot of their offroad bikes, something stupid like 20!) and really, really wanted to be part of the project. So Poncheral said, aside from Petrucci's results, he is really happy having him in the team.
"...aside from Petrucci's results..." Hmmm.....

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:43 pm
MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:37 pm
"...aside from Petrucci's results..." Hmmm.....
Perhaps Petrucci's results will return once he's away from Ducati Factory

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Iannone's appeal decision is expected mid November. I'm assuming we will know the fate of whether Dovi or Cutchlow will get the seat after that appeal decision as Aprilia is supporting Iannone to the end

CLX

Post by CLX »

How long are Mir and Rins signed with Suzuki? They are an incredible pair. All they need is for Rins to not crash.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I'm not sure but hopefully they can keep hold of them! I can't honestly remember the Suzuki ever being this strong, reckon you probably have to go back out of the modern era (Sheene or Mamola?) to when they had such a competitive machine and also two such capable riders.

Rins just needs the consistency but Mir is showing a remarkably mature head for such a young guy, he seems to have the kind of temperament (combined with the speed) that will win world championships.

Even in 2000 don't think the bike was that good, it was more some very clever work from Warren Willing and Roberts Jr to get the most from the package (if you think back the other Suzuki - Aoki, was normally just top-10 finisher)

jimv

Post by jimv »

I can't honestly remember the Suzuki ever being this strong, reckon you probably have to go back out of the modern era (Sheene or Mamola?) to when they had such a competitive machine and also two such capable riders.
Possibly 1993 - Schwantz won the title and Alex Barros finished 6th with a victory and 2nd place. Or maybe 1992 - Schwantz 4th with a single win and Doug Chandler 5th with 4 podiums but no wins