Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Jagbruno

Re: Silly Season

Post by Jagbruno »

bikermike wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:43 am
Are we starting to see a bit of a split in MotoGP - Honda/KTM v Yam/Suzuki - aggressive v smooth. Is Ducati a third camp?

Has anyone done really well on both sides of the camp?
Yep.

A certain JL99 on the Ducati wasn’t half bad, neither was he on the Yam, to say the least.
Oh, wait... he is available for 2021... 😎

This ain’t the end of the Silly Season, methink!

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Yes, JL suddenly looks quite something. I wonder if they have any of his seat pads left at the back of the shed in Borgo Panigale…

Although he showed a lot of promise, he hasn't actually yet delivered in full (to the level of what one would expect from a rider of his stature) on it. (and he clearly never made his mark on the Honda)

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

So Petrucci to KTM Tech 3, whither Pol Espargaro?

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93856 ... -espargaro

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

bikermike wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:30 pm
So Petrucci to KTM Tech 3, whither Pol Espargaro?

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93856 ... -espargaro
Pol is expected to go to Repsol Honda but it can't be announced until later in the year
My signature isn't particularly interesting

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Well... if he's not going to HRC now, then he's in the sh*t because his bike has gone! :)

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

"guys, I am back from talking to Honda, it didn't work out,.... guys?.... guys?" :mrgreen:

There's a possibility for it all to go completely Zarco for Pol...

Which bit of the jigsaw to come next? Dovi presumably has to be sorted

snowman

Post by snowman »

So assume Alex Marquez to LCR so Crutchlow will be out of a job 2021, nowhere for him to go.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

I would have thought that Test rider duties would have been fine for Jorge, until Lin Jarvis mentioned about his motivations, which seems to indicate Jorge looking for a ride. It seems like a crazy long shot, but perhaps...

Iannone won't be back anytime soon imo, they are trying to extend his ban rather than shorten it, even if it's the best-case scenario he loses a third of 2021 at least. Aprilia needs to move on.

Dovi to Aprilia and Jorge to take his seat would be a wild, unlikely, but fun outcome

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

Cal to Aprillia? - they have such a good record with outspoken Englishmen...

How is Takagami(?) placed on the other LCR bike? I thought he was a bit uncertain?
Could Cal keep the other LCR seat? (Assuming he doesn't retire). Or he did put the duc on the podium after he signed for LCR...

snowman

Post by snowman »

I read on a couple sites the other evening Cal's manager has been shopping him around for 2021. One said he had told all the teams he was available.

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Seeing reports that Dovi has crashed hard from a MX bike and is being treated for a suspected broken collarbone. If true it potentially throws a huge spanner in Ducati's works close to season start.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

WayneG wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:07 pm
Seeing reports that Dovi has crashed hard from a MX bike and is being treated for a suspected broken collarbone. If true it potentially throws a huge spanner in Ducati's works close to season start.
Will Dovi be fully fit for the season start? If not, with a short season with a reduced number of races, that will hurt more than it would in other circumstances. If a proven race and championship winner could be ... obtained ... maybe that would work.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

That officially shouldn't make a difference, but it's not going to help his position is it?

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

well that sucks.... timing could not be worse.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Probably won't affect Dovi's signing/retiring for 2021. Pirro will be the winner if Dovi misses a race or two but that depends on the nature of the break, might just be a case of plating it and away he goes
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Jakub Kornfeil has taken over Bradley Smith's MotoE seat.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

bikermike wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:07 pm
Cal to Aprillia? - they have such a good record with outspoken Englishmen...

How is Takagami(?) placed on the other LCR bike? I thought he was a bit uncertain?
Could Cal keep the other LCR seat? (Assuming he doesn't retire). Or he did put the duc on the podium after he signed for LCR...
Some of the Twitter chat is that Nakagami could be off to WSBK for the factory Honda effort.

Don't know how likely that is..

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

The article on Petrux on Crash mentions in passing that Cal has been rumoured to have been talking to Aprillia…

If he signs for them, can I be there when Scott Redding and Bradley Smith find out...

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Speedweek are reporting that Takaaki Nakagami is to re-sign with LCR alongside Alex Marquez for 2021. It appears Cal's only option if he wants continue would be Aprillia. KTM won't have him due to his Monster sponsorship. If he does go to Aprillia it would be the fourth manufacturer he has ridden for. I can't think of any other rider who has done that.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

WayneG wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:02 pm
Speedweek are reporting that Takaaki Nakagami is to re-sign with LCR alongside Alex Marquez for 2021. It appears Cal's only option if he wants continue would be Aprillia. KTM won't have him due to his Monster sponsorship. If he does go to Aprillia it would be the fourth manufacturer he has ridden for. I can't think of any other rider who has done that.
Where is Zarco up to? Yamaha, KTM, and I don't think he's ridden the Ducati yet. Guest rides on the Honda. That sort of makes four, but in a very confusing manner. Not clear whole seasons like Crutchlow.

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Good point about Zarco. He didn't even come into my reckoning, probably because of his spasmodic career as you suggest.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

WayneG wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:41 pm
Good point about Zarco. He didn't even come into my reckoning, probably because of his spasmodic career as you suggest.
I don't think he quite counts, because he hasn't raced once for Ducati, has he?

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

https://www.crash.net/motogp/gossip/938 ... e-year-out

Looks like Crash.net is behind the curve on this one.
Crutchlow moving to Aprillia is interesting, I wonder why Takagami is ahead in the pecking order again?

Dovi taking a year out...? ballsy.... or Zarco-esque?

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

When I saw the salary numbers that Ducati wants Dovi to take a pay cut to and include the current year of his contract, my immediate thought was he’d make just as much by finishing out the contract he’s on than taking the new deal. So their basically telling him ride for us another two years for nothing extra.

If I were Dovi I’d be doing the same. I know there can be more money in other gear or helmet contracts but I’d imagine those are not sure things and probably aren’t getting paid if don’t ride. So this makes sense to me for him to walk away from Ducati at this moment.

Besides I feel the power balance shifting away from Ducati anyway once we get back underway, so another factory that can use the new tire more to their newer limits would be no more a gamble than staying at Ducati and would net him additional money even if it meant sitting out a year than taking the Ducati offer.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

WayneG wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:02 pm
If he does go to Aprillia it would be the fourth manufacturer he has ridden for. I can't think of any other rider who has done that.
Melandri did 5 I think...

Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Ducati and a short stint at Aprilia.