Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
kenup283

Re: Silly Season

Post by kenup283 »

I think would be better for Quartararo to resume back in a familiar place and team structure. Im actually biased in that I believe at Petronas he has the core of what made the factory Yamaha team as successful as it was.

But potentially more impactful will be the last paragraph

“ There are also rumours those four may now need to 'renegotiate' some of the terms of their contracts with racing budgets set to be slashed in the aftermath of the coronavirus. Those still to sign will likewise be forced to lower their salary expectations..”

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I'm reading this suggestion that Pramac would take Iannone if available in 2021 along the lines that if they needed to substitute a rider due to injury or whatever and Iannone had finished his penalty period and was without a job, then they would use Iannone as fill in rider. The reason I see it that way is Iannone won't be available for the first half the season and I can't see anyone signing for 1/2 a season with Aprilia, so Aprilia would either need to use a test rider for half the season or contract someone for the entire season

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93775 ... ne-reunion
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Wasn't expecting anyone to sign during COVID-19, would be interested to know whether Rins got the same money he would of got if COVID-19 hadn't happened. Unlikely we will ever know

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Haydn Cobb recons Rossi will race in 2021 and explains his view on this

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Pol Espargaro dismisses talk he could move to Honda as 'just rumours'.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93805 ... ld-suit-me

But, this sounds to me the kind of 'rumours' that Espargaro or his manager may have started himself... :D

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

This article suggests that Miller has a Factory Ducati seat for 2021 and that they are looking to place Petrucci in WSBK

https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/05/13/sbk ... -team.html

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

"All Miller is missing is a signature"

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

The Italian press has been drinking too much Primitivo. Having said that, we are talking the eye-ties so we can't rule out things as strange as this. Would Pirro race the bike for the first 6 months? Before Ducati ditched Iannone to make room for Lorenzo there wasn't a lot between Dovi and Iannone and since then Dovi has come second 3 times, so perhaps Iannone is seen as someone who could replace Dovi.

https://www.valentinorossi46.it/i-rival ... a-in-mano/

https://www.moto.it/MotoGP/motogp-clamo ... iller.html

Now if Dovi leaves and Miller comes, that would mean they expect Miller to challenge for the world championship at a time when the defending world champion is almost unbeatable

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

The press is now saying that Dovi is 99% to stay and if this is correct then Petrucci has been sent packing. The talk for Petrucci is either MotoGP Aprilia or WSBK Ducati. Which one would you prefer to see Petrucci racing in?
Last edited by Mikesbytes on Thu May 28, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

atropos

Post by atropos »

I think he would do better at WSBK on a Ducati than he would on a MotoGP Aprilia.

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Now confirmed. Jack Miller has signed with the factory Ducati team for 2021. It is a one year deal with an option to extend to 2022.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Albert

Post by Albert »

WayneG wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:22 am
Now confirmed. Jack Miller has signed with the factory Ducati team for 2021. It is a one year deal with an option to extend to 2022.
Damn - look at this!
Seeing you back here I'm almost tempted to come out of retirement!
The "Old Boys Club" is obviously missing Mick these days, but where's Oscar? ;)
I believe I'm growing sceptical of cynicism!

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Albert wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:32 am
WayneG wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:22 am
Damn - look at this!
Seeing you back here I'm almost tempted to come out of retirement!
The "Old Boys Club" is obviously missing Mick these days, but where's Oscar? ;)
I have a feeling that Oscar may have had a run in with the powers that be and taken his bat and gone home. :)
I hope you are travelling well Dave.
My first love was my motorbike, we went through everything together. Wind, rain, fences..

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Last comments Vale made re: Petronas and Razlan he said he had to make sure he had the motivation to continue, meaning it wasn't a given that he still had the necessary motivation.

Adulation from fans, a great career, healthy, lots of money in the bank, hot GF, can ride and play with the world's best whenever he wants to, has to be hard to go out sometimes and risk it all...

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Jorge Martin has signed for Millers bike at Pramac. https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/1 ... eplacement

He should go good

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Straight onto a works level machine. A good placing which should give him an opportunity to shine. Also good for Ducati because if they keep on signing riders with the promise of Martin, they're going to hit gold sooner or later.

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Fingernails wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:04 am
Straight onto a works level machine. A good placing which should give him an opportunity to shine. Also good for Ducati because if they keep on signing riders with the promise of Martin, they're going to hit gold sooner or later.
Yes, and by the same token, not so good for Zarco unless he manages to pull off a miracle this season on last year’s bike... 🙄

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Jagbruno wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:00 pm
Yes, and by the same token, not so good for Zarco unless he manages to pull off a miracle this season on last year’s bike... 🙄
And even before that he has to actually get through border checkpoints. I don't believe in 'fate' or 'curses', but it sort of looks like Zarco's career is cursed.

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

yes, that signing for KTM has to rate as one of the all-time bad moves...

I don't know much about Martin - do those that know have a view as to whether his style will go well on the Ducati?

WayneG

Post by WayneG »

Rumour has it that Pol Espargaro is on the verge of signing with Repsol Honda for 2021 with Alex Marquez to be moved to LCR Honda. Interesting move if true.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Sign me up for the WTF?! I never saw this coming camp.

I thought the EspargaroxMarquez rivalry was too deep for them to ever be teammates. And at the cost of not even a rookie Alex... WOW WTF

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Yeh Zarco's move to KTM seems to sealed his fate, there's virtually nothing left for 2021

What were Zarco's options when he signed for KTM?

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

I think that's the issue, he wasn't given any. His former manager withheld other offers, rejected working with others, and took credit personally for briniging Zarco to KTM. Much like an arranged marriage.

In hindsight staying at tech 3 would've put him on a KTM anyway and talk of being blocked at yamaha may have been real or smoke screen, who knows,. I would have wanted to see him at suzuki but whether an early snub by them meant Fellon was not going to consider them again or not, again who knows, but Fellon certainly sold both stories to the press.

I think suzuki wouldve been his best bet at a factory ride. Other satalite rides, such as Honda, may have been possible.

That all said, I don't think it was all a waste for KTM. They needed to hear the brutal truth about their bike and Zarco gave it to them. They didn't like it but we know now they have brought out a new chassis with Pedrosas input behind the scenes that will take them in that direction. The mood in pits and damage to the relationships was done for Zarco with KTM top brass by that point so in the end he didn't stick around to see it.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

There are now rumours that if Dovi leaves Ducati, that they might be looking at a return for Lorenzo.

Now, that's what I call rumours.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/gossip/938 ... -dovi-goes