Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
snowman

Re: Silly Season

Post by snowman »

So does Rossi if he stays get a third bike on the factory team leaving a bike open at Petronas. That would be a good ride for someone.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

snowman wrote:So does Rossi if he stays get a third bike on the factory team leaving a bike open at Petronas. That would be a good ride for someone.
No, Rossi would be in the Petronas team with factory support, factory teams are only allowed to field 2 bikes.

It is interesting that Rossi had already said at the end of last season that he wouldn't be against moving to the Petronas team.

snowman

Post by snowman »

Tourn46 wrote:
snowman wrote:So does Rossi if he stays get a third bike on the factory team leaving a bike open at Petronas. That would be a good ride for someone.
No, Rossi would be in the Petronas team with factory support, factory teams are only allowed to field 2 bikes.

It is interesting that Rossi had already said at the end of last season that he wouldn't be against moving to the Petronas team.
OK, Motoblog.it reports Lorenzo today signed has Yamaha test rider

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

Well at almost 41 he has stayed on well past most.
Yamaha have signed who they had to but have left him an option.

The other thing they have to do is provide more straight line speed.
Should be a good season if they can.
Can't wait for the off season to be over

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

What a day! Fabs gets a factory ride. Rossi's officially on the fence. And Dear George is testing for Rossi! It just keeps getting better.

Never in a million years would I have believed that Jorge would do any testing.

Yamaha sure is pulling out all the stops. They're not at a loss for talented feedback from the track. Do they have equally talented engine builders?

I love reading Boris Mihailovic. Here's his spin:

https://www.bikeme.tv/index.php/rossi-q ... -happened/

Probably not too far off?

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

snowman wrote: OK, Motoblog.it reports Lorenzo today signed has Yamaha test rider
https://www.motoblog.it/post/988795/mot ... ter-yamaha

How reliable are this mob?
Can't see it elsewhere yet?

He certainly has the speed on that thing so it would be a huge positive for them imo.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I would expect that if any of the Yamaha riders injure themselves and are out for a while then Lorenzo will be racing in their place.

Even if Lorenzo doesn't want to return to racing full time, the chance for a few good results may allow him to leave MotoGP with his head held higher than it is now.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

If you want to beat Marquez then you need an up and coming rider. The star new rider of 2019 is what they want and if they fluffed around he would of been poached. There was also the threat of Vinales being poached too, so I see why Yamaha has done the deal so early.

Late last year we were seeing suggestions that Rossi was on the way out and now looking in hindsight it appears that negotiations were happening with Rossi over this outcome. It would seem that the timeline for Rossi is;
1. Be offered a factory bike + contract
2. Decide if he continues
3. Find or create a team
Rossi can generate a lot of sponsorship, so there's a carrot for a team to take him on
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

And now this.

Carlo Pernat (I know, I know) is hinting at an offer from Aprillia to Vale.
Not as far-fetched as it looks, the All Italian Piaggio group has the financial ressources as well as the need for this. Vale could finish his career where he started it, and as a factory rider.

If, only if, the new Aprillia machine performs reasonably well.

atropos

Post by atropos »

It's official - Lorenzo has signed with Yamaha as a test rider

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Jagbruno wrote:And now this.

Carlo Pernat (I know, I know) is hinting at an offer from Aprillia to Vale.
Not as far-fetched as it looks, the All Italian Piaggio group has the financial ressources as well as the need for this. Vale could finish his career where he started it, and as a factory rider.

If, only if, the new Aprillia machine performs reasonably well.
I think Rossi is far too involved in Yamaha now, especially with the academy links, etc. Can't see him risking all that for a factory seat on Aprilia when Yamaha have told him that he's got a factory spec bike if he wants it.

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

hdot

Post by hdot »

I like Krop's suggestion that Ducati may poach Mir. That could be interesting.

But yea. Now it looks like we just have to settle for racing :( Was hoping for some Lorenzo-to-Ducati level shakeups.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

hdot wrote:
gwcrim wrote:Does anyone think Honda is going to be stuck with little brother, even if his results are not wonderful?
Years of non-Marquez RC213V riders declining and getting seriously injured has to have hurt the bike's value in the rider market. The Honda is the bike with the highest likelihood of turning a rookie's shoulders to meatloaf and/or randomly launching him into lunar orbit. And good luck peeling any factory influence whatsoever away from Marc. In a way his brother is their best option.
Honda have really gone all in all eggs in one basket, and now with MM's second major shoulder surgery done and a slower than expected recovery, that may well bite them in the ass.

Also, Yamaha is about to be a powerhouse again, looks like

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Japhrodisiac wrote:
hdot wrote:
gwcrim wrote:Does anyone think Honda is going to be stuck with little brother, even if his results are not wonderful?
Years of non-Marquez RC213V riders declining and getting seriously injured has to have hurt the bike's value in the rider market. The Honda is the bike with the highest likelihood of turning a rookie's shoulders to meatloaf and/or randomly launching him into lunar orbit. And good luck peeling any factory influence whatsoever away from Marc. In a way his brother is their best option.
Honda have really gone all in all eggs in one basket, and now with MM's second major shoulder surgery done and a slower than expected recovery, that may well bite them in the ass.

Also, Yamaha is about to be a powerhouse again, looks like
Personally I don’t think the shoulder is as big of an issue as some people believe, other than it hindering his testing. I’ve had a shoulder reco and I don’t believe it will effect (affect? I can never remember) his ability to ride a bike even if not as good as new. Honda do need to sort their front end issues but that was an effect (affect?) of knowing they would likely be racing Ducati for the championship. If they believe that Yamaha is once again their biggest rival they may be more than willing to give up a bit of horsepower for a better front end. Relying on Marquez’s ability to ride around problems to win will definitely bite them in the ass if he has to consistently push a problematic front end too hard to keep up with the sweet handling Yamaha.

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

Marq's shoulder may heal well enough to race and pull off good times, but like hdot said, one freak spill and he's got a potential issue. He'll start off the season strong, but by August how will he be? There's going to be maximum pressure on him. Guess we'll find out.

hdot

Post by hdot »

Marquez relishes the pressure. I almost think he misses having to fight for it.

But the shoulder joint is strange and delicate. It can only take so much abuse. Even if HRC doesn't make the RC213V easier for non Marcs to ride, they should at least make it easier on Marc's shoulders (if possible). He is a cyborg. He can adapt.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

gwcrim wrote:Marq's shoulder may heal well enough to race and pull off good times, but like hdot said, one freak spill and he's got a potential issue. He'll start off the season strong, but by August how will he be? There's going to be maximum pressure on him. Guess we'll find out.
One freak spill for Quartararo, Vinales, Rins, Dovi, Mir, Rossi, Morbidelli, Petrucci, Miller...

I dont see why it's really any different for Marquez. He was in the same position last year and look what happened.

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

Tourn46 wrote:
gwcrim wrote:Marq's shoulder may heal well enough to race and pull off good times, but like hdot said, one freak spill and he's got a potential issue. He'll start off the season strong, but by August how will he be? There's going to be maximum pressure on him. Guess we'll find out.
One freak spill for Quartararo, Vinales, Rins, Dovi, Mir, Rossi, Morbidelli, Petrucci, Miller...

I dont see why it's really any different for Marquez. He was in the same position last year and look what happened.
I'm not a doctor (maybe Rossi can chime in) but I'd think that an already injured shoulder is a bit more fragile than a never injured one. But we're all just one bad crash away from our final destiny.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I'm thinking that after Marquez, then next most important signing for 2021 is Quartararo. 2021 will be his 3rd year, so he will have sufficient experience to fight with Marquez and I'm not seeing that any of the existing top riders will beat Marquez, so its a case of getting someone new to do the fighting. Shall see how Quartararo goes this year to see whether I'm predicting correctly or not

I'm not so sure that Mir is a better pick than Miller or Zarco for the factory Ducati

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

I think that Fabio versus Maverick this year will be an interesting battle. Vinales has the factory bike of course, but Quartararo has factory spec and if I had to make a bet I might go for FQ. If FQ does win out on a satellite bike, no matter how close to factory, I think that'd give him a psychological advantage for 2021.

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

p4p1 wrote: Personally I don’t think the shoulder is as big of an issue as some people believe, other than it hindering his testing. I’ve had a shoulder reco and I don’t believe it will effect (affect? I can never remember) his ability to ride a bike even if not as good as new. Honda do need to sort their front end issues but that was an effect (affect?) of knowing they would likely be racing Ducati for the championship. If they believe that Yamaha is once again their biggest rival they may be more than willing to give up a bit of horsepower for a better front end. Relying on Marquez’s ability to ride around problems to win will definitely bite them in the ass if he has to consistently push a problematic front end too hard to keep up with the sweet handling Yamaha.
Agreed the shoulder shouldn't be that huge.
He has had one done already and that didn't seem too much problem.
We can be sure the surgeons knew what the rate of work on it was going to be and that was the solution.
With respect to having a bike that suits only Marquez biting them on the arse, whats the alternative?
Don't listen to him? Give him to another factory?

He gets what he wants because he is able to win with it. He has done so in 6 of 7 seasons.
When he goes they'll listen to the next rider and do what they need but he is only 27 this month, so working so far [emoji2369]

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Yamaha have offered wildcards to Lorenzo

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Honda may have won the triple crown but Yamaha just won silly season :lol:

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

p4p1 wrote: Personally I don’t think the shoulder is as big of an issue as some people believe, other than it hindering his testing. I’ve had a shoulder reco and I don’t believe it will effect (affect? I can never remember) his ability to ride a bike even if not as good as new. Honda do need to sort their front end issues but that was an effect (affect?) of knowing they would likely be racing Ducati for the championship. If they believe that Yamaha is once again their biggest rival they may be more than willing to give up a bit of horsepower for a better front end. Relying on Marquez’s ability to ride around problems to win will definitely bite them in the ass if he has to consistently push a problematic front end too hard to keep up with the sweet handling Yamaha.
I have broken a number of bones in my racing career but the 2 that never fully healed and leave me with issues to this day are right wrist and right shoulder (cracked the ball in the ball and socket). I can't throw a baseball very hard without dislocating the shoulder, and I suppose that MM has better and more modern medical attention, but he's not superman. Everyone's luck runs out eventually.