Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
snowman

Re: Silly Season

Post by snowman »

I'm not so sure I would want the Avintia ride either.
https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp ... 8VJJrh_Jug

hdot

Post by hdot »

Some folks in the peanut gallery say Zarco and Avintia are made for each other. I agree to a large degree. I still want to hear Avintia's side of the story. Not that I think there's anything to justify what they did (and how they did it), but I do think they owe Karel, and to a degree Zarco and the racing community some kind of explanation. Dorna's involvement really puts the extra stink on it- who is going to want to see Zarco do well after this?

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Zarco in the team seems to mean a lot more money and that team is financially bleeding. Just to give you an idea of the issue not having an Ohilins technician, have a look at this video [youtube]https://youtu.be/lM5tnO9WT9k[/youtube]

Abraham will probably walk but Yamaha could do with him as a test rider
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

What appears to have happened is that once Ducati signed to increase their support of Avintia (likely to pave the way for Zarco) then they no longer required Karel's money to lease his bikes. With that pressure off, if you had the chance, would you opt for a rider of Zarco's level, or Abraham's level? Also, it opens up the potential in the team to sign another upcoming Moto2 rider (eg, do you keep Abraham or take a Navarro, or Diggiantonnio, or similar)? Business-wise it makes sense, particularly in light of the end of the road apparent for Brno MotoGp rounds...

Note: I have been fairly disgusted by the attitude of Zarco, and now Reuben Xaus, and I do not doubt for a second Karel's side of the story, he has been very open and honest the entire time he has been in the paddock, so no reason to doubt him now. The personal side of this sucks, and as a fan I would like to see Abraham get a WSBK or Moto2 ride out of this, hopefully with Dorna's aide as they seemed to have orchestrated this mess.

herbs

Post by herbs »

Karel would probably be justified in telling dorna to gagf. Regardless of what you think of his ability as a rider, to have him treated like this seemingly with dornas blessing is a disgrace. Fwiw it's not the first time that the avintia team has done over their riders so xaus has run out of goodwill credits imo.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

The loophole that they used to get rid of Karl is just crap. Unless other info surfaces then I've lost faith in Ducati, Dorna and Avintia. However at a higher level its about the value of a contract, an example I can think of that back fired was when Barros went to Honda breaking the Yamaha contract on the basis of a suspension component going to another rider first when Barros's contract stated that he must get new parts first. Barros went to Honda but lost the court case which cost him $$$

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Rossi to quit MotoGP, says this article on crash.net from 2012. https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/17946 ... uit-motogp

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

So Avintia will have 2 GP19's next year meaning that if Zarco does arrive then he's not getting the latest bike. It does state "with updates" which is suggesting better support. Article also suggests that Zarco's contract may be direct with Ducati https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/1 ... or-ecurity

Twinfan

Post by Twinfan »

Fingernails wrote:Rossi to quit MotoGP, says this article on crash.net from 2012. https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/17946 ... uit-motogp
You have seen the date on that article, right?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Twinfan wrote:
Fingernails wrote:Rossi to quit MotoGP, says this article on crash.net from 2012. https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/17946 ... uit-motogp
Please read the text of mine you quoted :D

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Mikesbytes wrote:So Avintia will have 2 GP19's next year meaning that if Zarco does arrive then he's not getting the latest bike. It does state "with updates" which is suggesting better support. Article also suggests that Zarco's contract may be direct with Ducati https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/1 ... or-ecurity
Ducati is smart, keeping future options open for a likely reduced price, seems like a win win, unless Zarco performs on the Duke similarly to how he went on the KTM, in which case it's career over. Methinks he will take a while to adapt but then do alright on it, some top 6's perhaps

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Japhrodisiac wrote:Methinks he will take a while to adapt but then do alright on it, some top 6's perhaps
Will be tough for him to reach the top 6 in my opinion... based on it being an Avintia GP19...

MM, MV, AD, FQ, FM, AR, JM36, JM43, VR, CC... then there's the likes of Petrucci, Bagnaia on Ducati's, Aliex and Pol... I don't think he's in for an easy time whatsoever.

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Tourn46 wrote:
Japhrodisiac wrote:Methinks he will take a while to adapt but then do alright on it, some top 6's perhaps
Will be tough for him to reach the top 6 in my opinion... based on it being an Avintia GP19...

MM, MV, AD, FQ, FM, AR, JM36, JM43, VR, CC... then there's the likes of Petrucci, Bagnaia on Ducati's, Aliex and Pol... I don't think he's in for an easy time whatsoever.
An Avintia bike just got a factory nod, which is a new thing, and yes, the field is deep, but as we have seen many times, riders make their own fortunes, both good and bad. We saw Petrucci win Mugello then do nothing afterwards, Jack miller do little for a good chunk then was a regular podium finisher, Bagnaia has a lot of promise but so far unable to make good on it. Let's see, the best thing about this sport is that anything and everything can happen on Sunday.

On another note, I rate Binder higher than Alex Marquez actually, and I would love to see him on a bike that suits him. Just the way the cards play out, I think AM will do ok but not set the world on fire.

Twinfan

Post by Twinfan »

Fingernails wrote:
Twinfan wrote:
Please read the text of mine you quoted :D
Ha ha, whoops! Clearly not enough coffee this morning before I posted!

As you were...

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Still nothing official about Zarco and/or Avintia

https://www.motors-addict.com/fr/news/motogp/zarco

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Still picking up olives and promoting a clothing line, afaik...

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

With Zarco signed the Silly Season is finally over for this season but this signing is the commencement of the next silly season as Ducati has yet another rider to select for the factory team. Unless there's an injury I'm not anticipating a retirement amongst the currently signed Ducati riders

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

Reports of Zarco's signing along with his typical shitty attitude, bad-mouthing Avintia all the while they are throwing him a lifeline :

"Speaking with French publication Moto Journal, Zarco revealed the Avintia deal is done and that Ducati general manager Luigi Dall'Igna convinced him to have faith in the move because it would have good support from the manufacturer.
"It's a fact that Luigi Dall'Igna told me that I could trust him in deciding to sign for Avintia next year," said Zarco, who will ride a 2019-spec Desmosedici next year.
"As I still doubted the skills of the Avintia team, I went to see my former head mechanic Massimo Branchini.
"Massimo told me to trust Luigi. It's Luigi Dall'Igna who will take care of finding me a good chief mechanic."
Zarco added he considers himself signed to Ducati, rather than Avintia, and his target is to step up to the works team in 2021.
"Besides, I do not consider that I signed with Avintia, but with Ducati," he added."

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

I used to think highly of JZ. What a slap in the face of Avintia. He'll probably parade around mid pack and find himself out of a ride in 2021.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

gwcrim wrote:I used to think highly of JZ. What a slap in the face of Avintia. He'll probably parade around mid pack and find himself out of a ride in 2021.
Mid-pack would be a major step forward for Avintia. I don't mean that as an insult for the team, but their results are not mid-pack.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

What Zarco should of said was that Avintia lacks the budget to be competitive

warthog1

Post by warthog1 »

Avintia may well be celebrating his reticence to initially accept a spot.
It seems more factory support is on the way as a direct result [emoji6]

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Lin Jarvis's comments indicate that next years silly season has already commenced https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/1 ... and-beyond

Japhrodisiac

Post by Japhrodisiac »

With Zarco now confirmed at Avintia for 2020, Silly season looks to get going early for 2021 seats. A fun scenario would be for Dovi and Maverick to swap seats, Jarvis' latest comments seem to indicate that he wishes Maverick to feel welcome, and that maybe he was getting the feeling that Mav would leave.

I am no Rossi hater, but I feel that if he stays beyond 2020 he is holding up the natural flow of events, whereby Yamaha probably SHOULD keep Vinales and take Fabio into the big team, and then allow the chips to fall where they may. If Vale does insist on staying on a Factory Yamaha, then they can't have both Maverick and Fabio, which isn't the best situation for Yamaha.

20201 as I would like to see it :

Repsol :
Ducati Factory: Dovi and Miller
Yamaha Factory: Mav and Fabio
HRC/Repsol: MM and Pol (yes this is fantasy league stuff)
Suzuki: Rins and Jorge (see above)
:D :D :D

Vale to retire and take on a rider development/management role within Yamaha, eventually ousting the various 'talents' of Lin Jarvis

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Brave predictions Japhrodisiac, probably no less accurate than any of us will guess

Zarco's Avintia deal includes 2 Ducati engineers and 2 Ducati electronic staff, however reading the following article it appears that that's for both riders making it a bit thiner than it initially appeared so perhaps the top 10 predictions on last years bike are a bit optimistic https://www.mcnews.com.au/reale-avintia-zarco/