Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
Mikesbytes

Re: Silly Season

Post by Mikesbytes »

What's the odds there's an announcement as to Lorenzo for 2020 after the Valencia race? I recon pretty high and I'll give it a 1/3 chance he will stay with Honda in 2020
My signature isn't particularly interesting

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

He's a wounded duck. Damaged goods. Who would sign him if he's so unfit he can't effectively ride? And at the ripe old age of 32? Tech3? :lol:

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

David's done a great article about riders age, retirement and replacement. He's made a lot of suggestions as to where it may go rider wise, it will be interesting to look back at in a couple of years to see how good his crystal ball is. I did note that Zarco hasn't appeared on his forecast

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2019/1 ... _2021.html

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

So there's been rumours of Petrucci - Miller team swap. https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport ... 7d25f4f678

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

The silly season continues with the Yamaha test rider positions - Folger, Zarco (despite declining), Smith, who's currently the Aprilia test rider. https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/93357 ... ole-yamaha

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

Do you think Yamaha is lying about their 2020 test squad? Did they ditch Folger to lure Zarco back? Will 2020 be Rossi's final year? This silly season is shaping up to be a good one.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

If Smith takes on the Yamaha test role, would that include wild cards? I would guess that wild card rides on a potentially winning bike might be a tempter.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I recall reading a comment that Folger turned up to tests, rode the bike, provided feedback and that's it, a long way short of Pedrosa at KTM. If its correct it could either suggest that Yamaha aren't fully engaging Folger or Folger is just doing the minimum. With testing we don't see a lot of info so its hard for us public to judge the performance of a tester

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

What about if KTM can poach Gigi Dall’Igna? That's the sort of thing that KTM needs

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

And now the silliness escalates.

Least complicated replacement is Zarco. Most deserved, Crutchlow. Can't imagine anyone else getting that ride.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

It's come as no surprise that there's a vacant seat at HRC Honda

The press has presented 4 options for the vacant seat;
1. Zarco
2. Crutchlow
3. Nakagami
4. Bradl
It has occurred to me that there's a 5th option and that's to pay out a contract for a Moto2 rider, preferably the one they are eying for 2021 whoever that is

Anyway back to the 4 options the press have been on about;
- Crutchlow is going to retire at the end of 2020 season so if they want someone for just one season then this is a politically good option
- Nakagami is Japanese and the Japanese would ultimately want to see a fellow countryman win the world championship
- Zarco available which means no mucking around with LCR or a Moto2 team
- Bradl hasn't been that hot on his wildcards but we don't know what he was riding

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I see that Bautista as also being speculated for Lorenzo's ride

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Apologies for harping on, on this topic. I recon that Marquez wants his brother to fill the seat

hdot

Post by hdot »

Crutchlow is no go with the sponsorship. I think it's between A. Marquez/Zarco/Bradl and Nakagami. I wager they will go with Nakagami or Alex because they are the least threatening to keeping Marc as the top priority. If Marquez has any pull in the decision it's gonna be him and his brother IMO. Ironically that might be what it takes for HRC to finally make their bike easy to ride.

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

Mikesbytes wrote:Apologies for harping on, on this topic. I recon that Marquez wants his brother to fill the seat
No doubt that MM wants his bro to get the seat. A one year stint with JZ doesn't preclude that. That also gives Honda a year's worth of input from a rider with pretty decent experience on other GP bikes, good and bad.

p4p1

Post by p4p1 »

Mikesbytes wrote:Apologies for harping on, on this topic. I recon that Marquez wants his brother to fill the seat
Puts Honda in a hell of a position. They need to keep Marc happy but Alex hasn’t shown himself to be worthy of a factory ride in MotoGP. IMO he only won the Moto2 title this year because the majority of the talent has moved up to the GP.

Refusing Alex a seat *could* destroy the harmony between the Marquez team and HRC but giving him the seat could have one of their bikes riding around mid pack.

hdot

Post by hdot »

Marc's priorities are HRC's priorities. I'd wager getting his brother a factory MotoGP seat (and paycheck) are much more important than any competitive back up plan.

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Jesus, Alex Marquez, really??

Zarco will get a seat in a Honda, thats a no brainer, LCR or HRC.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Wolfman wrote:Jesus, Alex Marquez, really??

Zarco will get a seat in a Honda, thats a no brainer, LCR or HRC.
To add some perspective though...

Alex Marquez is a double world champion at 23 years old... can argue about how or why he got those but it's a better record than most of the MotoGP grid.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I'm assuming that Bautista will be testing on Tuesday as MotoGP testing is part of his WSBK Honda contract so seeing him on the Honda is no indication of who they will choose. If an announcement hasn't been made by Tuesday it will be really interesting to see who else gets a test on the Honda

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Why wouldn’t any MotoGP team give a double world champion a chance on their bike despite him being the brother of Marc
Suzuki and ktm have both put rookies in the works team so why not Honda
Is zarco realy better than Alex
Zarco had some great rides on the yamaha but also some poor results in mid season

gwcrim

Post by gwcrim »

Doesn't Alex have a contract through 2020?

You know the brothers would love to team up and it would be a PR bonanza for Honda. That said, they should let JZ help develop the bike during 2020. He's a proven fast rider and that lets Alex run out his contract. Then it's a free for all in 2020 with nearly every seat up for grabs.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

Listening to interviews today it sounds almost a done deal
Zarco to Marc vds
Nakagami gets a 2020 bike
Marquez to Repsol

Looking forward to the test to see what’s new with the teams if anything
Realy hope ktm. Improve

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Vmax666 wrote:Listening to interviews today it sounds almost a done deal
Zarco to Marc vds
Nakagami gets a 2020 bike
Marquez to Repsol

Looking forward to the test to see what’s new with the teams if anything
Realy hope ktm. Improve
Yeh it seems that Alex M to fill Lorenzo's seat is almost a done deal.

Also saw the rumour of Zarco going to Avintia which would mean the cancelling of an existing contract. Can't see that one happening but look at how much has happened in what was suppose to be a quiet year silly season wise. In this article it states that Zarco would be interested in the Marc VDS seat but it doesn't sound like there has been any negotiation https://au.motorsport.com/motogp/news/z ... 2/4598261/

BTY if Nakagami has the 2020 bike that will mean that there will only be two 2019 bikes on the grid, those been the Avintia Ducati's

snowman

Post by snowman »

If it were me at Honda i'der signed Zarco for 2020 then tomorrow signed Jorge Martin for 2021