Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
bikermike

Re: Silly Season 2018

Post by bikermike »

MikesBytes is reporting above that Smith has got the Aprillia test job
"Re: Silly Season 2018
by Mikesbytes on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:44 am
Good point Mini, the first MotoE world champion

Smith has finally parked himself as Aprilla test rider http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2018/09/0 ... der/270373"

Have things changed?
My reading of Bradley is that he'd rather test in MotoGP than go to BSB.

Emoo

Post by Emoo »

MiniNinjaMk5 wrote:Hmm - wonder if that means PB have lost out on Redding then (who might be on the MV in Moto2 then?>)
I also wonder about this. MotoGP riders going to BSB. Sounds great on paper but from mutterings I hear from friends linked with the series, there are a few "issues" to be resolved when riders new or old come back into the series. The obvious one is money, but this also links into what I believe will be the biggest sticking point - the riders mentality.

Take Mr Redding as an example. Youngest winner of Moto3 (was/could still be), Moto2 title contender, MotoGP rider for Honda, Ducati and Aprilia. I don't know the chap on a personal level but from what you hear and see I think you can make the not so bold statement that at times his attitude can be "off". He seems to want the rock star life style. I suspect discussions went a little like this

"I want £100,000 per annum to race for you"
"You're not getting £100k to race BSB"
"Do you know who I am?"
"Scott Redding...what have you won?"
"well nothing...."
"correct, nothing, you're not getting £100K"

I have heard that there have been several other similar conversations in the past for riders going back into the series from the World stage.

There is also the attitude, BSB is tight and competitive. On smaller tracks with not as much run off, do you think some of these boys will go full bore at racing? A certain Frenchman was doing absolutely nothing all year, get him to Assen - wins.

MotoGP riders going to BSB, even WSBK riders going back, with the exception of Leon Haslam haven't exactly set the series alight. On paper having riders of that calibre in the series would be great, but I suspect how they perform will be a case of them sorting it out between the ears. Going from a world stage to a national series no matter how competitive will be viewed as a step back. Going from MotoGP to BSB isn't a step, its a fall. Especially to those with an over inflated opinion of themselves. I'm sure there are a few of those floating around the paddock.

Vmax666

Post by Vmax666 »

I seem to remember most of the past bsb champions ( mckenzie, Reynolds, Byrne etc.)came back from the world stage and did well
I don’t see any reason Redding cannot do well if he is truly committed to riding in bsb
Others have come back to bsb and regained enough confidence to return to the world stage and done well e.g. Toseland, Hodgson, Hallam etc.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Lorenzo having a dig at his outgoing team and Petrucci. It does make me wonder if Ducati didn't give Dovi more money, whether he would of gone to Honda taking Pedrosa's bike

https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/1 ... on-remarks
My signature isn't particularly interesting

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Vmax666 wrote:I seem to remember most of the past bsb champions ( mckenzie, Reynolds, Byrne etc.)came back from the world stage and did well
I don’t see any reason Redding cannot do well if he is truly committed to riding in bsb
Others have come back to bsb and regained enough confidence to return to the world stage and done well e.g. Toseland, Hodgson, Hallam etc.
While some of the performance may be down to Shakey, the Be Wiser Ducati looks to be a plum seat. Maybe not in the first year, and it may be destabilised by Ducati moving to the V4, but surely there will be the chance of a championship if he sticks around.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

Definitely - Paul Bird's team is the best funded in the paddock and have really close links with Ducati (having the Italian engineer from the company, and the fact they are getting the V4 in its first season, tells you something).

No doubt that he'll have a lot of support. At the international tracks he'll have no disadvantage, but with the likes of Outlon and Cadwell there are going to be some difficulties there, and being used to GP with it's super safety levels compared to BSB (which is getting better in that you can no longer slide into 'safety barrier' of old Lancaster bomber tyres that have the consistency of concrete because they've been there since the 1950's, but is still decidedly dodgy at some points).

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Redding is gonna send it at Cadwell, I'm looking forward to some spectacular flight!

I'll miss his character in MotoGP.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

speeddog wrote:Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Redding is gonna send it at Cadwell, I'm looking forward to some spectacular flight!

I'll miss his character in MotoGP.
I will 100% be going to Knockhill next year, can't wait to see Redding in BSB. I don't go every year, but he is enough to guarantee this ticket sale.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Redding says his plan is to win BSB within two years, and then move to WSBK. https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/90669 ... s-bsb-then

That looks to be a pretty good statement of intent. Looking forward to him showing us what he can do.

I'm planning to attend BSB next year at Donington Park.

herbs

Post by herbs »

Funny coming from a bloke who bagged Bsb and wsbk....

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

So as David has written, all MotoGP riders except Tito have been confirmed for next year and Tito's confirment has been stalled by his leg injury. I'm wondering if Tito is a paying rider?
Last edited by Mikesbytes on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

pom

Post by pom »

I'm 100% sure he pays his ride in the Avintia team. Not so sure in the MarcVDS team.

herbs

Post by herbs »

AFAIK, Tito's old man has a lot of money and that's what's been funding his rides.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

I suspect this season has had the highest number of riders leaving MotoGP in a while;
  • Pedrosa retired or test rider?
  • Bautista WSBK
  • Redding BSB
  • Luthi Moto2
  • Smith test rider
  • Simeon MotoE
Does anyone know?

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

My wild ass guess is 2 - 3 riders per year has been the average for the last 10 years or so.

MiniNinjaMk5

Post by MiniNinjaMk5 »

I think what is does highlight is how static it's become over past years.

Not that I'm complianing, as so many riders stepping out in the past were due to serious injury, or at least permanent/inhibiting ones that stopped riders from continuing their careers.
herbs wrote:Funny coming from a bloke who bagged Bsb and wsbk....
What does bagged mean to the uninitated? :)

herbs

Post by herbs »

Bagging= criticise.

pom

Post by pom »

KTM just announced officially that Dani Pedrosa will be a test-rider for them in 2019 and 2020. Not unexpected but still big news.

motor

Post by motor »

pom wrote:KTM just announced officially that Dani Pedrosa will be a test-rider for them in 2019 and 2020. Not unexpected but still big news.
Interesting perspective from Simon Patterson (MCN) on twitter:

"I have to admit that I think this is a little strange. Dani is a particular rider thanks to his weight and height who uses a bike in a different way, and he's potentially leaving behind a lifetime gig as a Honda ambassador."
Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

It's certainly a brave move.

Dani hasn't had a reputation for rash moves for quite some time (cue sounds of Kentuckian sniggering from beyond the pearly gates), so it seem sunlikely to be a hot headed move.

OTOH, he doesn't need the money, and I guess if he he wants to ride bikes more than do schmoozing it's the better arrangement. Hats off to him for stepping away from his comfort zone though, the easiest route would be to stay with the big H doing press/publicity, being flown around the world, eating in nice restaurants etc

I'm actually more curious to know if it's a good move from KTM's point of view. All riders will to some extent develop a bike in thier own image. Unless they have a hotshot super-midget somewhere, are they at risk of building a bike that is fast for Dani and not for anyone else.

motor

Post by motor »

I wonder to what extent the KTM decision was driven by the potential wealth of HRC inside info which Pedrosa can bring along
Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight I'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day

bikermike

Post by bikermike »

what, "Give it to Mark and watch him ride the wheels off it" :mrgreen:

pom

Post by pom »

bikermike wrote: I'm actually more curious to know if it's a good move from KTM's point of view. All riders will to some extent develop a bike in thier own image. Unless they have a hotshot super-midget somewhere, are they at risk of building a bike that is fast for Dani and not for anyone else.
From what I understand, Test riders are not there to build the bike but to give feedback about new modifications. Leitner told to David that lighter riders are the best to give feedback because they can't compensate with their body weight so they feel very precisely what's going on what the bike is modified. I guess that's KTM is after. This and the fact Dani rode a Winning bike during 13 years. This kind of experience is not something easy to find.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Bautista is a victim of how early the silly season concluded this year, he got the bike working for him around that time. 2020 will be quite different due to the rule changes around contracts

speeddog

Post by speeddog »

Mikesbytes wrote: ~~~SNIP~~~
2020 will be quite different due to the rule changes around contracts
Got a link to that?