Silly Season

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
brigdonia

Re: Silly Season 2018

Post by brigdonia »

veroli wrote:Did Suzuki buy out Mir's contract ?
Mir's MarcVDS contract has a 'if I get a factory offer for Motogp I can leave' clause. Only for factory rides.
hdot wrote:not a name I've heard of, though I don't really follow the support classes.
I'm fairly certain his 10 wins last season on the way to becoming the Moto 3 champion either equalled the most wins in a lightweight season or beat it in the modern era. He was top rookie the year before, finishing 5th.

I can thoroughly recommend watch the support classes, especially Moto 3. It's quite often the most entertaining of the weekend!
We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom

Redglare

Post by Redglare »

brigdonia wrote:
veroli wrote:Did Suzuki buy out Mir's contract ?
Mir's MarcVDS contract has a 'if I get a factory offer for Motogp I can leave' clause. Only for factory rides.
hdot wrote:not a name I've heard of, though I don't really follow the support classes.
I'm fairly certain his 10 wins last season on the way to becoming the Moto 3 champion either equalled the most wins in a lightweight season or beat it in the modern era. He was top rookie the year before, finishing 5th.

I can thoroughly recommend watch the support classes, especially Moto 3. It's quite often the most entertaining of the weekend!
Rossi won 11 on a 125 in his championship winning season so I’m guessing it’s in the moto3 era.

brigdonia

Post by brigdonia »

I stand corrected, thought Rossi had fewer. But yeah, most since moto 3 became a thing. Still not too shabby company to keep aye?
We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

hdot wrote:
Japhrodisiac wrote:Silly season has been so silly that if you told me months ago that the rides and moves of Iannone, Lorenzo, Pedrosa, Petrucci would all hinge mostly on the signing of Mir, someone that hasn't yet won a Moto2 race, I would have laughed.
This is what I was wondering... not a name I've heard of, though I don't really follow the support classes.

Factories seem to engage in group think, and the chasing of young stars has seemed to hit a fever pitch.

Suzuki dumping Aleix was one of the dumbest team moves I've ever seen.
I DO follow the support classes and there is a very good reason Suzuki were so quick to pounce on Joan Mir. So that they would not miss out on sensational young talent. Mir is another phenomenon whose performance in Moto3 was completely dominant and in his first season on a Moto2 bike, yes he has yet to win, but each race he gets closer to the pointy end of the field. His first win there is just a matter of time.

The talent spotters working for the teams were all very excited about Mir. He promises to be another Zarco, Vinales or even Marquez.

This could be a very significant signing by Suzuki, however if their bike is not up to it then they will struggle to hold him as Honda would love to throw a bunch of money at him - like Yamaha did to secure Vinales.
What are you waiting for, you're faster than this
Don't think you are, know you are

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

The only decent Team/Bike left is the one that Millers gunna get. Other decent bikes/teams may appear such has Petronas Yamaha and possible Mark VDS assuming they secure some decent bikes and don't implode

At this point there are only 2 rookies for next year - Mir and Bagnaia. If any others do appear they will be riding around at back of the field
My signature isn't particularly interesting

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

Mikesbytes wrote:Mark VDS assuming they don't implode
Marc VDS is a big shareholder of AB Inbev. He probably has more money to spent than Suzuki :mrgreen: As long as he is havng fun, the team will not collapse.
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

Mikesbytes wrote: At this point there are only 2 rookies for next year - Mir and Bagnaia. If any others do appear they will be riding around at back of the field
Both seats at Avintia and Aspar are still available, unless I've missed some news. I guess that Nakagami will resign with LCR, but is this definite?

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Aaaaaaand now....

Speedweek says Dani close to a Yamaha factory bike deal in a satellite structure...just when you thought it was all over, the silly season is back!!

:mrgreen:

Wolfman

Post by Wolfman »

Mikesbytes wrote:The only decent Team/Bike left is the one that Millers gunna get. Other decent bikes/teams may appear such has Petronas Yamaha and possible Mark VDS assuming they secure some decent bikes and don't implode

At this point there are only 2 rookies for next year - Mir and Bagnaia. If any others do appear they will be riding around at back of the field
I don´t no why people always underestimate Miguel Oliveira, he will be the best rookie in 2019, even with a KTM on a satelite structure, just let him tast podium´s and win´s.

JanBros

Post by JanBros »

Fingernails wrote:
Mikesbytes wrote: At this point there are only 2 rookies for next year - Mir and Bagnaia. If any others do appear they will be riding around at back of the field
Both seats at Avintia and Aspar are still available, unless I've missed some news. I guess that Nakagami will resign with LCR, but is this definite?
Simeon is on a 2 year contract.

https://motomatters.com/news/2018/06/07 ... ne_up.html
dd 07-06-2018
Bi-stroker Parallelus Bi-cylindricus

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

JanBros wrote:
Fingernails wrote:
Simeon is on a 2 year contract.

https://motomatters.com/news/2018/06/07 ... ne_up.html
dd 07-06-2018
Ah yes. I read the summary on crash.net but read through a bit quickly at the bottom.

2018, so far, hasn't been much of a year for rookies making a name for themselves. I've hardly noticed Simenon in the races at all. I hope he and others gets their chance to shine.

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

Wolfman wrote:
Mikesbytes wrote:The only decent Team/Bike left is the one that Millers gunna get. Other decent bikes/teams may appear such has Petronas Yamaha and possible Mark VDS assuming they secure some decent bikes and don't implode

I don´t no why people always underestimate Miguel Oliveira, he will be the best rookie in 2019, even with a KTM on a satelite structure, just let him tast podium´s and win´s.
Spot on Wolfman. Olivera is a brilliant talent. He has been around for a few years now so has great experience an a very cool and calm demeanor. He doesn't get all emotional and flustered like some of the guys from over the border.

Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

Jagbruno wrote:Aaaaaaand now....

Speedweek says Dani close to a Yamaha factory bike deal in a satellite structure...just when you thought it was all over, the silly season is back!!

Except, that move would not be silly. Pedro on a Yamaha could be a stoke of genius. The bike is clearly much less demanding than the Honda. I think it would be a move to rival Lorenzo's for possible significance in terms of 2019 championship results. The Yamaha may just allow the little fella to deliver his proven speed consistently. Here's hoping.

kenup283

Post by kenup283 »

Morpheus wrote:

Except, that move would not be silly. Pedro on a Yamaha could be a stoke of genius. The bike is clearly much less demanding than the Honda. I think it would be a move to rival Lorenzo's for possible significance in terms of 2019 championship results. The Yamaha may just allow the little fella to deliver his proven speed consistently. Here's hoping.
I too am very intrested to see how that combination would pan out. But I do have some skeptism in how well he would be able to get heat in the tires on the Yamaha. I recall looking at lap times between Honda and Yamaha in a wet / drying race a year or so ago and could see that the Honda’s came up to pace quicker lap on lap as the tracks dried. Something at the time I was relating to more load transfer going on for the Hondas which was heating their tires more versus the Yamahas that were not seeming to follow as quickly through the tramsition.

With Dani already suffering to heat up the tires on the Honda I cannot see this aspect being improved by the Yamaha. If it does improve then I think we will see the combination we hope for, if not then it could even be worse than it is now for him. I’ve had the idea before that some redirected exhaust gases tubed over to the blast on the tires to heat them up and control their temperature would be worth a try for him. On a Yamaha it maybe worth a serious look. I also wonder what such a system could do in a mixed condition race to extend running on slicks for example.

pom

Post by pom »

Morpheus wrote:
Wolfman wrote:

Spot on Wolfman. Olivera is a brilliant talent. He has been around for a few years now so has great experience an a very cool and calm demeanor. He doesn't get all emotional and flustered like some of the guys from over the border.
+1 to you both. I wasn't following much Oliveira even last year but his performance in 2018 catched my eyes. There's something very mature and solid in the way he manages races with a somewhat subpar bike. Very promising for the years to come.

herbs

Post by herbs »

Everyone is going silly about Mir and bagnaia, but I think that oliviera will be the better rider long term.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

herbs wrote:Everyone is going silly about Mir and bagnaia, but I think that oliviera will be the better rider long term.
I honestly think Mir is the real deal. His Moto3 title was phenomenal, in a totally different league to the rest of the riders on the grid with speed and race craft.

In Moto2 he's been improving every week and he'll get a win this season, I'm sure of it.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Dani Pedrosa press conference today...

I am anticipating retirement.

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Morpheus wrote:

That was my point exactly. The move could be very sensible IF Dani manages to bring his right tyre to temperature consistently (that is a big IF, admittedly).
But the season remains sillier than ever, what next? Simeon on the second LCR Honda? :mrgreen:

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

Tourn46 wrote:Dani Pedrosa press conference today...

Where can we see his press conference? Do you have a link for it?

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

herbs wrote:Everyone is going silly about Mir and bagnaia, but I think that oliviera will be the better rider long term.
It depends on an unknown: how good the Moto2 KTM is compared to the Kalex. Oliviera rode the Mahindra well in Moto3, so that's a positive. However, moving up to MotoGP seems to shuffle the order a bit, and of course we don't know how good next year's MotoGP KTM will be. It'll be interesting for sure.

Re: Dani's announcement.

I'm really looking forward to this too. I just hope it's not to announce retirement from racing.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

Jagbruno wrote:
Tourn46 wrote:Dani Pedrosa press conference today...

Where can we see his press conference? Do you have a link for it?
It's on the schedule on the Official MotoGP site.

I watch via BT Sport, I don't use the MotoGP Pass so I won't be able to see it myself.

Jagbruno

Post by Jagbruno »

I just saw it on the schedule, it will be tomorrow Thursday at 16:15, that is 45 minutes before the official pre event press conf. That is NOT a good sign in my book. I sincerely hope he doesn't retire...

Horrible thought: what if he announced his immediate retirement? After all Puig wanted to piss off Dani and get rid of him, Dani might want to make a point "You wanted me out? I'm out. NOW."

I hope I am wrong.

pom

Post by pom »

It's not today, it's tomorrow.

MotoGP. com broadcasts Dani's debrief. Big news to come . Likely sad ones but who knows ? Maybe silly season will strike again.

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

pom wrote:It's not today, it's tomorrow.

MotoGP. com broadcasts Dani's debrief. Big news to come . Likely sad ones but who knows ? Maybe silly season will strike again.
Yes sorry, I thought today was Thursday...

Need more coffee :lol: