HJC Helmets Grand Prix České republiky

Discussion and debate about the MotoGP class
CLX

HJC Helmets Grand Prix České republiky

Post by CLX »

My preview:

- Another weekend of damage limitation for Marquez;
- Crucial GP for Rossi to strike back and seriously claw into Marquez' and Lorenzo's leads over him;
- Lorenzo's golden chance to both put pressure on Marquez and leave VR behind for good;
- Which Ducati will show up?

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

hdot

Re: HJC Helmets Grand Prix České republiky

Post by hdot »

Weird ass track name.

This one is kind of up in the air for me. I think it will be between Marquez or Lorenzo. If the weather/temperatures cooperate I would give the nod to Lorenzo. Rossi hasn't been strong here since 2009, and it doesn't look like there are too many low speed corners or long straights for the Ducati boys to blast away on. Lorenzo's win last year was decisive and uncontested so if he can carry his momentum in and get lucky with the weather he should do well.

Hoping for close action but who knows... again, weird ass season.

CLX

Post by CLX »

To be honest, my initial reaction is to say all tracks are Yamaha tracks and Brno should be the most Yamaha of them all. But all the chincanes and direction changes remind me of Austin (the first half of the lap obviously) and Mugello, and Marquez was quite strong at both.

He wasn't fast enough to win Mugello, but it took Lorenzo his best ever last lap in MotoGP to win the race. Granted Lorenzo wasn't entirely at ease during the race, but still...

Picking the bike up might be a problem, even with short straights like Le Mans, but I still think the direction changes might act in favour of Honda.

So I'm somewhat cautiously confident but still prepared to not be upset by a Yamaha romp.

-----
Everything we consider fiction is reality somewhere else. This is somewhere's fiction.

Emoo

Post by Emoo »

Everyone will be hoping for close action Hdot! I think we will get that for 3/4 laps then Lorenzo will romp away. Marquez trying to hold on but "settling" for second with Rossi third. After Ducati boys and Maverick fade away. Would really like to see Pedrosa up there too but he hasn't had a good season so far and I struggle to see him getting out of his funk.

I can see Lorenzo doing what he did last year and claw back the points to win the championship, oddly Rossi will be the one to help him as he takes points away from Marquez, interesting subplot to the season if you ask me. Lorenzo winning the title for Yamaha before moving to pastures new will give him great motivation.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

FP1 doesn't usually give us much of an indication as to what's going to happen. Looking at the pointy end the lap that the fastest time was posted may be an indication on who went for a hot lap and who focused more on tyre durability
Who - Fastest Lap - Total Laps
IANNONE 14 15
ROSSI 10 17
LORENZO 11 15
BARBERA 16 16
DOVIZIOSO 17 17
MARQUEZ 10 16
VIÑALES 12 18
REDDING 17 18
PEDROSA 12 17

So its looking like Iannone, Barbera, Dovi and Redding went for a hot lap, ie all of the Ducati's at the pointy end. It's a predictor that the Ducati's will go backwards on the sheets a little as we progress thru FP3 and Q2
My signature isn't particularly interesting

CLX

Post by CLX »

Marquez has a full collection of incredible saves by now.

They were deleting lap times for track violations, fine by me. Which penalties might be applied during the race if a rider does the same repeatedly?

-----

Tourn46

Post by Tourn46 »

CLX wrote: They were deleting lap times for track violations, fine by me. Which penalties might be applied during the race if a rider does the same repeatedly?
I believe that It's only if they have been deemed to gain an advantage and the penalty is that they get asked to drop one place.

Not too severe if you're in a pack, but what if you're 10 seconds up the road?

Squidpuppet

Post by Squidpuppet »

hdot wrote:Weird ass track name.
:? What's weird about "Brno Circuit"?

"Automotodrom Brno", which it's sometimes called, sounds cool to me too.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Tourn46 wrote:
CLX wrote: They were deleting lap times for track violations, fine by me. Which penalties might be applied during the race if a rider does the same repeatedly?
I believe that It's only if they have been deemed to gain an advantage and the penalty is that they get asked to drop one place.

Not too severe if you're in a pack, but what if you're 10 seconds up the road?
That's what I was wondering. Dropping one place is so awkward and unfair. Can't they just give time penalties? Liked adding 2 or 3 seconds to race time.

-----

hdot

Post by hdot »

Squidpuppet wrote:
hdot wrote:Weird ass track name.
:? What's weird about "Brno Circuit"?

"Automotodrom Brno", which it's sometimes called, sounds cool to me too.
I guess it's the race name. "HJC Helmets Grand Prix"... I get these races are sponsored but it just throws me off. No biggie though, I like the track.

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

It makes sense to delete lap times where an advantage has occurred as those time determine who is going to Q1 and who is bypassing, going straight to Q2. So they are effectively racing in FP1, FP2 & FP3. FP4 is the only one where they are not racing.

Have you seen the vid of Marquez's save? He is so smooth
[youtube]https://youtu.be/JaskAbQMVq0[/youtube]

Edit: how do you post video on this forum?

hdot

Post by hdot »

Man, great Q2.... this has the makings of an awesome race.

CLX

Post by CLX »

Terrific session.

Another event in the Marquez-Rossi rivalry. Rossi must be miffed at least.

-----

Dayle88

Post by Dayle88 »

CLX wrote:Terrific session.

Another event in the Marquez-Rossi rivalry. Rossi must be miffed at least.
With Pol not Marquez.

CLX

Post by CLX »

What did Pol do? He's not the right guy to follow anyhow. I think Marquez cost Rossi time on the last corner of one lap and the first corner of the next.

All in all it's slightly ironic seeing how VR has been chasing a tow from Maverick all year long. To lose out to traffic.

Still. Cant wait for tomorrow!

-----

Dayle88

Post by Dayle88 »

Rossi got caught up behind Pol (Rossi's own fault) and then Pol didn't move out of the way (he doesn't have to but would have been smart to) and Marc arrived behind the pair without losing time and being able to cut under a stuck Rossi. Rossi had no choice to cut back under Marc in turn 1 to try and put a lap together but he'd gone so tight to outbreak him it was too late anyway.

Fingernails

Post by Fingernails »

First four qualifiers riding for four different manufacturers. Good to see.

onegirlcircus

Post by onegirlcircus »

I'm continually amazed at how the laws of physics do not apply to this young man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Fingernails wrote:First four qualifiers riding for four different manufacturers. Good to see.
Agree on that. Its showing that one particular characteristic isn't all encompassing at this circuit and it should boil down to the ability of the riders.

Result wise, I'm inclined to agree with Zara that FP4 is a close predictor of what will happen in the race

https://motomatters.com/results/2016/08 ... renzo.html

Mikesbytes

Post by Mikesbytes »

Rain in WUP

Now the race has been turned completely on its head

Fred Gassit

Post by Fred Gassit »

Supposed to dry by 2pm isn't it ? Be good for Redding and a few others if it doesn't. ;)

Not so good for the champ.......

CLX

Post by CLX »

Its raining a lot for Moto2!

-----

CLX

Post by CLX »

Wow. Nobody saw that coming!

-----

hdot

Post by hdot »

Brilliant!!!! I've never been more excited for someone's win! Waiting for the press conference like Xmas morning LMAO

CLX

Post by CLX »

Post GP questions:
1 - Is Lorenzo out of it?
2 - Why do Hondas win so many damp/wet races when they are so wild on acceleration and naturally uneasy?
3 - If indeed Lorenzo is out, will he by any chance play to team orders?
4 - Another lost opportunity for Ducati. Who's keeping count?

-----